Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Brand Newbie here - working on a Land Speed Project (1.5L or less diesel).  (Read 18007 times)

Reply #90March 16, 2012, 07:34:44 pm

steve_1995

im definantly not an engine guru but what about water methonol injection? boosts compression and cools egt's, also how about propane injection? i dont know what is "alloud" with the LSR but just a couple power adders to maby think about. also what about making a 1.5 TDI? use a 99 1.9tdi head get a m-tdi pump built, but i dont know about pistons but its just a couple of things that i thought about while reading your thread

Reply #91March 17, 2012, 03:29:25 pm

Reply #92March 17, 2012, 05:55:18 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

Beautiful work, Aki.  I assume the main cap girdle is strictly custom work.  If the engine block was once the weak link, it is not anymore.

I don't recognize the block, but then again I am not an experienced expert at VW diesel block spotting.

Steve.

Reply #93September 15, 2013, 07:05:32 am

bgbmxer

• Junior

Re: Brand Newbie here - working on a Land Speed Project (1.5L or less diesel).
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2013, 07:05:32 am »
Question on you for your build. Are you looking to build custom motor mounts or know if the mounts off a 1.7 omni will work for that application. I might be looking to build another diesel and put it in an omni.

Reply #94September 15, 2013, 11:09:12 am

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2013, 11:09:12 am »
Why?  Just get a Rabbit.  They are 99% Omni only infinitely better and readily available as diesels already.

Reply #95September 15, 2013, 11:27:37 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2013, 11:27:37 am »
well the bolt holes in omni block same as vw.. so they direct fit... with proper vw engine block style mounts... later omni had dodge engines... so when i refer right mounts...

the tricky piece... the pressure plate/release plate on a omni is different then vw... screws up the cable length... but i cannot rember why this is.. maybe different push rod or something.. but ive run into this in the past long long long ago...

Reply #96September 15, 2013, 11:51:52 am

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2013, 11:51:52 am »
Why?  Just get a Rabbit.  They are 99% Omni only infinitely better and readily available as diesels already.

Infinitely better is your opinion I had a rabbit I hated everything but the Diesel engine in it.

Reply #97September 15, 2013, 12:33:34 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2013, 12:33:34 pm »
You're right.  Enjoy your Omni.

Reply #98September 15, 2013, 01:22:38 pm

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2013, 01:22:38 pm »
well the bolt holes in omni block same as vw.. so they direct fit... with proper vw engine block style mounts... later omni had dodge engines... so when i refer right mounts...

the tricky piece... the pressure plate/release plate on a omni is different then vw... screws up the cable length... but i cannot rember why this is.. maybe different push rod or something.. but ive run into this in the past long long long ago...

Thank you for the info

Reply #99September 15, 2013, 01:28:05 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2013, 01:28:05 pm »
"Most" of the VW diesel and 020 trans was a direct bolt-in.  I am using an 020 4-speed in my diesel Rampage, which would have been the stock trans on a pre-2.2L manual trans Omni/Horizon/O24/TC3/Charger/Tursimo.

The mount on the front of the engine has to be custom fabbed (front as in pulley end).  The 1.7L gasser mount will not work in this location due to the needs of the injection pump mounts.  The other mounts will work, but they must come from a 1.7L Omni.  2.2's are different.

The shifter linkage from a 4-speed 1.7L Omni will work, but you must have an "Omni" 020 4-speed tranny linkage.  They are different than those found on true VW applications.

The clutch cable needs to be from a manual trans 1.7L Omni.  You will need the pedal cluster from the same donor car.

It can be done, but only worth it if you have a pretty good reason.  

A hopped up 1.9L AAZ Dodge 024 might be pretty cool, though.

Steve.

Reply #100September 15, 2013, 01:55:38 pm

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2013, 01:55:38 pm »
"Most" of the VW diesel and 020 trans was a direct bolt-in.  I am using an 020 4-speed in my diesel Rampage, which would have been the stock trans on a pre-2.2L manual trans Omni/Horizon/O24/TC3/Charger/Tursimo.

The mount on the front of the engine has to be custom fabbed (front as in pulley end).  The 1.7L gasser mount will not work in this location due to the needs of the injection pump mounts.  The other mounts will work, but they must come from a 1.7L Omni.  2.2's are different.

The shifter linkage from a 4-speed 1.7L Omni will work, but you must have an "Omni" 020 4-speed tranny linkage.  They are different than those found on true VW applications.

The clutch cable needs to be from a manual trans 1.7L Omni.  You will need the pedal cluster from the same donor car.

It can be done, but only worth it if you have a pretty good reason.  

A hopped up 1.9L AAZ Dodge 024 might be pretty cool, though.

Steve.

The rampage Shelby charger and rampage engine bays are all l body based so I figured you could answer most of my fitment questions. Alot of mounts and brackets would likely have to be fabricated. And as long as its a carb or tbi omni it wouldn't be to bad wiring wise. The chassis of the lbody while heavier than the rabbit has more creature comforts and more structure to it also. I haven't owned one later than 86 to compare how close it is to a rabbit.

Reply #101September 15, 2013, 02:01:59 pm

Jetmugg

• Veteran

« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2013, 02:01:59 pm »
If you were swapping into an early L-body that still had the original 1.7L / 4-speed drivetrain, it would be pretty straightforward to covert to VW diesel power.  The front motor mount would have to be custom fabbed, but the rest should bolt in.  That would get you the functioning engine and trans, but doesn't consider things like air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, etc.

I'm running a manual rack and pinion, manual brakes, and no A/C, but mine's a race vehicle.

Reply #102September 15, 2013, 02:04:24 pm

bgbmxer

• Junior

« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2013, 02:04:24 pm »
If you were swapping into an early L-body that still had the original 1.7L / 4-speed drivetrain, it would be pretty straightforward to covert to VW diesel power.  The front motor mount would have to be custom fabbed, but the rest should bolt in.  That would get you the functioning engine and trans, but doesn't consider things like air conditioning, power steering, power brakes, etc.

I'm running a manual rack and pinion, manual brakes, and no A/C, but mine's a race vehicle.

Basically how my rabbit was other than the manual brakes