Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: A few questions on an aaz swap.  (Read 3479 times)

November 04, 2012, 08:26:59 am

wisconsinjohnson

• User+

A few questions on an aaz swap.
« on: November 04, 2012, 08:26:59 am »
I swapped an aaz from a 95 golf, and a 5 speed from a g60 corrado into a 95 vr6 auto b4 wagon.  I've got about 20,000 miles on the car so far, and really like the setup, but i still have a few issues I need help with.

1.  Where the hell do i find a glow plug relay with afterglow?  I keep getting parts substituted and ending up with a quantum 1.6td style relay.  Any suggestions on adding it with an additional relay?  I probably don't need after glow, but it'll help keep the neighbors happy.  (  yes, i did throw out the "ecu" before i found out the relay was integral)

2.  I put in a tdi cluster with a crank sensor tach.  Does the aaz have a spot to instal a tdi sensor?  or do i just do what the 1.6 guys do, two bolts on a pulley?

3.  I can't turn the fuel screw in any farther without getting rpm hang, and i don't really have any on-turbo smoke past maybe 5psi? (running 16-18 on ko3)  I have a rover pin in, set aggressive, and the gov spring is shimmed just a bit more than 2010 gov mod suggests.  I lost the accelerator lever position at one point, and i realize that you lose your fuel setting when you take off the pump cover, but i think i am one spline  ahead (more fuel) or right where i was initially.  Could I really be at the point where i need to grind a pin for more fuel?  (need more fuel for k26 or vnt)

I have some transmission questions too, (swap trans? or just fifth?) but i'd better get some codes/measure tires first.

thanks all,

Reply #1November 04, 2012, 09:50:23 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: A few questions on an aaz swap.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:50:23 am »
lots to read in our FAQ section.

The trans question maybe at your own opinion of what your goals are. AAZ none had a crank position sensor, the TDI AHU did. 16-18 on a k03 seems a bit much, especially without intercooler.

Reply #2November 04, 2012, 01:01:02 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:01:02 pm »
lots to read in our FAQ section.

The trans question maybe at your own opinion of what your goals are. AAZ none had a crank position sensor, the TDI AHU did. 16-18 on a k03 seems a bit much, especially without intercooler.

they go boom eventually..

if you run a turbo out of its efficiency ratings for too long, they always go boom..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3November 04, 2012, 01:37:39 pm

libbydiesel

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 01:37:39 pm »
TDI crank sensor gives 4 pulses per rev.  You could probably read the four pulley mounting bolts. 

You can jumper one spline on the accelerator lever and readjust max fuel and idle for more fuel adjustment.  I've described it multiple times previously on the forum.  Get a real boost pin too, if you haven't already. 

Reply #4November 04, 2012, 02:06:52 pm

dieselweasel

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 02:06:52 pm »
1.  Where the hell do i find a glow plug relay with afterglow?  I keep getting parts substituted and ending up with a quantum 1.6td style relay.  Any suggestions on adding it with an additional relay?  I probably don't need after glow, but it'll help keep the neighbors happy.  (  yes, i did throw out the "ecu" before i found out the relay was integral)

Could find someone in Canada to sell you a glow plug relay from an AAZ car.  Or, you could modify the system by installing a timer relay, available from electrical supply stores.  This would keep the glow plugs energized for a specified length of time after the engine starts. Shouldn't be difficult to design/install this with a schematic and some electrical knowledge.  Let me know if I can help...
'94 Jetta TD dusty mauve-302,xxx kms

Reply #5November 04, 2012, 02:32:02 pm

TylerDurden

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    I have a VW problem.
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 02:32:02 pm »
Could find someone in Canada to sell you a glow plug relay from an AAZ car.  Or, you could modify the system by installing a timer relay, available from electrical supply stores.  This would keep the glow plugs energized for a specified length of time after the engine starts. Shouldn't be difficult to design/install this with a schematic and some electrical knowledge.  Let me know if I can help...
AIUI, the post glow is at reduced voltage, controlled through PWM by the ECU. IDK if the AAZ relays cover that.

Reply #6November 04, 2012, 05:06:02 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 05:06:02 pm »
The AAZ relay is just a plain relay, it doesn't actually have a brain like the Mk I/II relays do.  The actual control is in the ECM.  It is also responsible for the timing retard solenoid (if equipped), part time turbo (if equipped) and a few other things. 
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #7April 18, 2013, 06:05:59 pm

wisconsinjohnson

• User+

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 06:05:59 pm »
thanks everybody, sorry i disappeared after posting, I eventually figured out that i had advanced my fuel screw by sliding pump top to left while replacing it,  which resulted in me jumping the throttle back one spline.  when i figured this out, i just backed throttle screw out most of the way, and it seems like i gained about a spline back, plenty of fuel now, and i can hit 55 in second gear.  I changed ata trans out for che? out of b4 tdi wagon, and i'm still running 16 psi, but no more spikes over that since i reversed fuel pin, still hot wiring glow plugs through a headlite? relay,  anyway, thanks for responding, and now that i've moved to 10,000ft i've got a few more questions, but i'll start a new thread for that.

Reply #8April 18, 2013, 06:39:08 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 06:39:08 pm »
If you need afterglow your timing is probably retarded
Tyler

Reply #9April 18, 2013, 07:06:39 pm

wisconsinjohnson

• User+

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 07:06:39 pm »
I'm not really sure i need the after glow, it cut smoke to nearly zero at below freezing temps, and kept my neighbor happy, but now that i've moved it doesn't matter, but i do need to check my timing.  I assumed my timing was good because the car starts so easily in single digit temps, despite having a gas aba starter.  Will slack in the timing belt result in retarded timing? it certainly did on my aba rabbit!(felt like a v-tec at 4500 rpm)

Reply #10April 18, 2013, 07:11:18 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 07:11:18 pm »
You need to be very careful when setting the tension on the timing belt. Too tight and you'll destroy the bushings in the injection pump and the IM shaft bearings. Too lose and you can jump teeth.
Tyler

Reply #11April 19, 2013, 01:43:45 am

Syncroincity

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 01:43:45 am »
I'm using a programable timer relay to run my glowplugs, I can set the length to anything up to 2 minutes. I have it set up w/ a pushbutton to start the glows even before the key is in the ignition.
JC McCavitt
'86 Syncro GL Camper AAZ
'98 Jetta Wolfie
'04 Passat Variant GLS 4Mo 5MT

Reply #12April 19, 2013, 12:23:22 pm

wolf_walker

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 12:23:22 pm »
W124 era Merc diesels I *think* had afterglow, but haven't looked at one in years.
Timer might be easier.

Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become ignorant.
Mentat Text Two

Reply #13April 21, 2013, 10:13:25 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 10:13:25 pm »
I'm using a programable timer relay to run my glowplugs, I can set the length to anything up to 2 minutes. I have it set up w/ a pushbutton to start the glows even before the key is in the ignition.

I used a simple lighted toggle on the 1.6 IDI as to be able to after glow for any time needed. I usually switched off about 10-15 seconds after the engine smoothed out while idling. Worked perfectly. If I needed to get going and couldn't wait for a lengthy warm-up I would leave the glows on for up to 3 minutes to keep cylinder temps up.

Reply #14September 14, 2013, 10:52:22 pm

wisconsinjohnson

• User+

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 10:52:22 pm »
If you need afterglow your timing is probably retarded
cam was out of time with crank

thanks for all advice on afterglow, i'm waiting for freeze up to see if I need it now   

S-PAutomotive.com