Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: I've got a line on a guy with an engine block  (Read 2292 times)

November 22, 2011, 03:08:48 pm

trav1856

• Junior

I've got a line on a guy with an engine block
« on: November 22, 2011, 03:08:48 pm »
he says he's got hydraulic and mechanical of each. would I be better off getting a hydraulic or mechanical? What's the advantage of a hydraulic head/block?

1981 Rabbit Diesel
1981 Cabriolet

Reply #1November 22, 2011, 05:33:31 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: I've got a line on a guy with an engine block
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 05:33:31 pm »
solid lifter heads periodically need the valves adjusted, hydraulic lifter engines do not require this extra maintenance.  a properly adjusted solid lifter engine will typically run a smidgen better than a hydro engine.

the advantage of a hydro block is that u can run a metal head gasket from an aaz if you want.  and the hydraulic block can also have an aaz head bolted directly to it for an upgrade in flow and lower compression.  it depends what you want out of the car, if you want performance i would go the hydro route, if u just wanna build a stock or slightly modded engine, i would pick which ever lump is in better condition
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2November 22, 2011, 05:48:01 pm

trav1856

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 05:48:01 pm »
thanks for the advice, fine Sir. :D
1981 Rabbit Diesel
1981 Cabriolet

Reply #3November 22, 2011, 06:01:28 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 06:01:28 pm »
I prefer the mech head. More snap off the bottom from my experience. You can use the metal HG on the mech block but it can be a pain as you have to block stuff off and it may leak causing you to do it again. Everything that Trevor said is 100% accurate.

Reply #4November 22, 2011, 09:40:17 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 09:40:17 pm »
Mechanical heads will have better performance, when properly tuned- and that goes for just about any engine out there.

The problem is, they need adjusted rather frequently, as much as gas engines need spark plug changes. And, VW diesel engines with mechanical heads require both special tools and special shims to adjust the valves. You can't just turn a locknut like you do with a lot of older engines. So I would choose the hydraulic head, just because they require less maintenance. The performance gains on our engines probably aren't very big anyway.

Reply #5November 22, 2011, 09:43:01 pm

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 09:43:01 pm »
I prefer the mech head. More snap off the bottom from my experience. You can use the metal HG on the mech block but it can be a pain as you have to block stuff off and it may leak causing you to do it again. Everything that Trevor said is 100% accurate.

More on what mods are required to run a metal head gasket on a mech block please.

Reply #6November 23, 2011, 08:17:02 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 08:17:02 am »
There are many, many, many threads on it. I did a build thread that is in my sig and I showed what I did. Audi80, MJF, Zukgod, 53 willy's, saurkraut, and a few more have done them too. Up near the top right of the screen is a white box you can enter what you are looking for. Since it is this topic I think you should have few results if you search those names as well as the topic. I am not being smart as I see you only have 100 posts, so I am sincerely trying to help you.

Reply #7December 28, 2011, 03:18:11 am

shwak23

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1990 VW Golf TD. Engine Code CY
    • Blackdog Junkyard
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 03:18:11 am »
There are many, many, many threads on it. I did a build thread that is in my sig and I showed what I did. Audi80, MJF, Zukgod, 53 willy's, saurkraut, and a few more have done them too. Up near the top right of the screen is a white box you can enter what you are looking for. Since it is this topic I think you should have few results if you search those names as well as the topic. I am not being smart as I see you only have 100 posts, so I am sincerely trying to help you.

This made me choke so hard on my ego.

White box you say? And I just use these computer letters in front of me to put in what I want you say? Amazing.

;D ;D

Reply #8December 28, 2011, 10:45:31 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 10:45:31 pm »
Type in white area for topic.  Now click on search box to right.  He left that step out.  But it seems intuitive.