Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: MKII Gasser tach  (Read 2321 times)

November 14, 2011, 08:34:15 pm

cervelorod

• User+

MKII Gasser tach
« on: November 14, 2011, 08:34:15 pm »
I have a CE2 diesel ( d'uh ) cluster with a big clock where the tach goes.  I have a CE2 gasser cluster with a tach in the correct place.  From the FAQ it seems they are mostly dealing with MKI clusters.  Granted I have not removed my cluster to survey the setup, but what is the easiest with these two clusters to get my glow plug light and the tach function in one cluster...  I have a Dakota DSL1 coming to take care of the W lead to gasser tach issue. 

Thanks,
Rod

Reply #1November 15, 2011, 06:05:24 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: MKII Gasser tach
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 06:05:24 pm »
if you have a DSL-1, then i would use the gasser cluster as it is, and hook the converter up to it from the W-terminal. its quite easy to add a LED to the cluster. you dont need the curley squiggle under the LED do you? just an orange LED so you know the plugs are working? ive seen people wire up the OXS light to come on as the glow plug light before.. then you dont have to change anything besides the wiring of the plug.

that would be easiest. and you wouldnt have to cannibalize 2 clusters. unless you absolutely needed to have the same odometer and trip meter in the new setup..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2November 27, 2011, 03:17:27 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 03:17:27 am »
Being really cheap and not trusting the tach hacks from reading some of the comments FAQs about linearity issues, I am going to used the cheapy crank sensor trigger. It seems foolproof, durable, and movable from car to car with minimal effort.

Reply #3November 27, 2011, 12:45:08 pm

cervelorod

• User+

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 12:45:08 pm »
I put the gasser tach in, with the addition of a glow plug LED, but the tach needle wouldn't budge.  It is free to pivot, if I turn the cluster upside down it turns a bit.  I could have done something to it whilst mucking around inside, but not likely.  I got a cheap'o tach from my FLAP and the needle moves in proportion with the revving of the engine.  I need a light tach to verify / set the DSL-1.  I read somewhere that the DSL-1 has an issue with a CE2 tachometer.  I have an email in to Dakota Digital, but with the holiday and all I haven't heard back from them.

R

Reply #4November 27, 2011, 03:00:17 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 03:00:17 pm »
Being really cheap and not trusting the tach hacks from reading some of the comments FAQs about linearity issues, I am going to used the cheapy crank sensor trigger. It seems foolproof, durable, and movable from car to car with minimal effort.

im all about the crank sensor now.. im gonna have a working sun tach in my diesel today..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5November 27, 2011, 03:13:06 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 03:13:06 pm »
i've checked my tach at many different speeds linearity is fine, this is with a rabbit gti tach converted with reg cheese mans directions, which i believe just converts the gti tach over to match the mk2 td clusters.  usually when i put the clusters together u can just swap the diesel center led section and membrane over to the gas cluster then everything plugs together and works as normal.  this isn't always true tho.  the 81-84 rabbit stuff is the easier to mix together, cabby jetta clusters are pretty easy too if u get two that are from similar years,  the mk2 stuff has many different styles so some are easy some are a pita.  when i make the clusters i want it to look like it came with it from the factory, so proper symbols and such are important to me, but not everyone cares about those types of details.  the dakota stuff is a great option tho, u can easily swap the membrane and lights over, and then just wire in the dakota converter
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit