Author Topic: Running old furnace/diesel fuel  (Read 7782 times)

Reply #15December 04, 2011, 09:21:35 am

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: Running old furnace/diesel fuel
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 09:21:35 am »
What kind of wax do you add to the fuel, and why?
Lol I asked this question once..
I'm on my phone or id send him the link

Reply #16December 04, 2011, 02:20:58 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 02:20:58 pm »
Does anyone dump a quart of ATF in the 10 gallon tank?  That really seems to be to much.  Maybe I need more.  I add ounces of wax and ounces of ATF. 

i run like, 1-1.5oz/gal of 2 cycle oil. i would do the same for trans fluid. i dont know what ATF is gonna do, besides clean out the injectors, and maybe give you a point of cetane..

What kind of wax do you add to the fuel, and why?

paraffin wax

it adds lube, and boosts the cetane of the fuel..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #17December 04, 2011, 07:28:57 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 07:28:57 pm »
Seems like all my time at the end of a hammer and prybar this afternoon gets me off answering the questions. 

Wax is straight paraffin as noted by others.  I do it for two reasons. R.O.R hit on the cetane but the other is to make it thicker.  That helps take up the wear in the pump, offsets the ULSD, and keeps the advance timing at the top end when cruising. 

Which is my mainstay of travel with the car.  Once here at home I switch to the city rig to keep it up and running.  Tried dropping the insurance but I use it too often to get a discount.

The ATF is to clean the injectors and such.  Too much would offset the thickening part of the wax so I just toss in a short shot.  I have rebuilt injectors and I just want to keep them clean not scour them of past nastiness. 

Seems to make about a 3-4 mpg difference in my rig.  I will see later this week as I will fill up on the way back to Portland.  Price for diesel is about 25 to 30 cents higher than I get it for in Salem.

Thanks for kicking in on this guys. 

Reply #18December 04, 2011, 11:14:03 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 11:14:03 pm »
You  guys went nuts over the weekend! lol

I have run a ton of *** in my tank. Basically anything that will burn I have dumped in. Best is when people are like damn, look at all this old gas, oil, or whatever... What can we do with it? Dump it in my tank! And they're like WHUUUUT. lmao whatever it is.. Used motor oil, stale gas, stale diesel, 25 year old clean motor oil, ATF, gear lube, 2 stroke.. I am not too worried about getting caught, I just wanted to see what the deal was. They are in no way possible ever going to dip my tank. Like it has been stated, most people don't know a diesel car exists..

I'm pretty sure it would be good to run without anything being done. It has been sealed since removal.. GOTTA LOVE DIESELS! Burn anything!

Reply #19December 04, 2011, 11:47:33 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 11:47:33 pm »
Some of us have taken such pains to get our cars in good working order that we would and are shuddering at what you do as commonplace.  I would say that yes we can pretty much make our cars become a waste disposal unit if we cared to.  If we kept a good filter going, maybe even filtered it a bit before it hit the tank we would be good to roll. 

But with more skin than paint on that engine I just can't go there and do that.  I know, I know it is a machine for crying out loud.  But the engineer in me says this one gets refined fuel to run on.  That and some wax. 

Used motor oil and stale gas?   Really now? 

Reply #20December 04, 2011, 11:58:27 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 11:58:27 pm »
YES. :D I had found like 12L of stale mixed gas. And I had 5L of used 15w40 diesel oil sitting around too. Mixed it all together and sent it in to the tank.

I too have my vehicle in good working order, don't just assume I am some under-educated person dumping whatever in his tank ;). My car used to be a gasoline model. I swapped it over to diesel myself this time last year. I have just as much skin'n'blood in my rig as anyone else. With engines and parts so plentiful in Kanaduh, I have no worries.

These idi's are, from factory, designed to be able to withstand up to a 75:25 diesel/gas mix. Gas being one of the most un-lubricated fuels you could run a diesel on. I am staying above this mixture i I am ever dumping gas in the tank, mixed with oil or diesel. Filters are cheap and easy to get/replace. Wreck a pump? Or injectors? No biggie, I have three more  known good pumps, and three more sets of injectors :p.

Refined fuel eh? Gasoline is a refined fuel now isn't it? ;) lol. jk jk.

Reply #21December 05, 2011, 01:14:06 am

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 01:14:06 am »
I always thought heating oil was kerosene or something more refined than D2.

I know I was getting choked out when I ran D2 in my torpedo heater.  I was able to do it 2 years ago with no issues, but last winter was brutal. I went out and got a propane heater.

If I'm willing to go a few miles out of my way, I'm getting standard D2 for slightly less than off road. I think I paid $3.59 p/g last week.  It's about $.20 to $.40 higher if I want to get it on the drive to work.  I take a few empty 5 gal. containers with me to make it worth my time.  FWIW, I don't think I've ever seen blue D2.

-Todd

Reply #22December 05, 2011, 02:48:19 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 02:48:19 am »
Chopper03:
Do you remove your air cleaner, as well? Running used motor oil is NOT good for the pump or injectors. What do you think makes it black?

Most people that run WMO filter it extensively to remove the soot and not so fine particles after that I guess you can just do a little cost/benefit analysis to figure out whether it'd be worth it to burn. Injectors are not too pricey to rebuild but pumps are unless you diy.

Reply #23December 05, 2011, 06:06:39 am

chopper03

• User+

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 06:06:39 am »
Chopper03:
Do you remove your air cleaner, as well? Running used motor oil is NOT good for the pump or injectors. What do you think makes it black?

Most people that run WMO filter it extensively to remove the soot and not so fine particles after that I guess you can just do a little cost/benefit analysis to figure out whether it'd be worth it to burn. Injectors are not too pricey to rebuild but pumps are unless you diy.

You have it pegged 10mic filter, then 5 mic filter, and then a 1 mic cat fuel filter. I have never had a
problem running 50% mixed then refiltered thru the 1 mic into the tank.

Reply #24December 05, 2011, 01:59:57 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 01:59:57 pm »
And Disel filter is 15 mic and more usually.
I`ll improve my English

Reply #25December 05, 2011, 02:05:42 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 02:05:42 pm »
And Disel filter is 15 mic and more usually.

the stock filter on our cars is 15mic... and the secondary filter on my car is 2 micron.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #26December 05, 2011, 03:36:06 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 03:36:06 pm »
These idi's are, from factory, designed to be able to withstand up to a 75:25 diesel/gas mix. Gas being one of the most un-lubricated fuels you could run a diesel on. I am staying above this mixture i I am ever dumping gas in the tank, mixed with oil or diesel. Filters are cheap and easy to get/replace. Wreck a pump? Or injectors? No biggie, I have three more  known good pumps, and three more sets of injectors :p.

That diesel had much more lubrication than the diesel of today. The 3:1 ratio no longer applies with modern fuel.
Tyler

Reply #27December 05, 2011, 08:54:43 pm

BigVWman

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 08:54:43 pm »
heating oil used to be different but as of late is usually just red d2. I would filter it again unless your getting it from a good source, the home tanks usually have a lot of crap in them. Red diesel in the car, oh my, who would do such a thing, just don't look at my clear return lines :P
Tim
83 rabbit shell 92 cabby tdi conversion, 91 cabby aba conversion, 87 cabby,  87 gti,  01nb tdi new project,00 1.8t nb, 98 ranger,92 f150 flareside(its pink) 97 cabrio and a 00 cabrio!

Reply #28December 05, 2011, 09:59:41 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 09:59:41 pm »
Yepper, that old diesel sure was thick and could have used some thinning.  Look at the method VW used to prescribe for the winter time fuel issues.  Not so anymore with the skinny fuel of ULSD.  That is why I wax it. 

For WMO I get the filtering problem, easy to cure but do any of you think about an acid problem with that stuff.  Seems that is more of an issue than getting it filtered down to 1 micron.  Acid eats away at those injector tips and might do in the GPs after a while.  Just something more to think about.

Reply #29December 06, 2011, 12:37:21 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 12:37:21 am »
If the wmo i cheap or free enough then you just have the added expense of rebuilding a set of injectors once in a while and the gp's don't last worth a *** on these motors anyway.

Fixmyvw.com