Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Inductive pickup to drive a tachometer..  (Read 31143 times)

Reply #15November 29, 2011, 12:15:36 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Re: Crank angle sensor (inductive pickup) to drive a tachometer?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 12:15:36 am »
I think I will try TIGing a couple of tabs to the inside circumference of the pulley where they should not interfere with the cover.

I found that to work quite well.. I didn't even bother to try welding additional metal tabs to the pulley, just put a couple blobs of bubble gum on there, and ground them to look nice..

Kevin, if you can;t get your current sensor mounted sturdy enough, next trip to the junk yards look for one of the trans speed sensors as used in late model Fords. They are a little less bulky (easy to be broken) than the one from the 4.0..   I used one from a 4R70w out of a late 90's F-150..  It worked well enough that all I needed to do was bolt a piece of angle to the back of the block with a hole for the sensor to slide though, and a small hole for a bolt to hold it..

I have found that the signal isn't quite strong enough from some aftermarket tachs, mainly the cheapo ones, but may factory tach works fine with it..

Reply #16November 29, 2011, 10:51:34 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 10:51:34 am »
well gentleman, and lady (if you are reading ;D)

i have a working tach drive system on my diesel..

it idles @ 900

it brings the needle off the 0 peg of the boost gauge @ 1500

it makes full boost a little before 3000..

.060-.070 air gap.. more is better, unless your pickup isnt strong enough to drive the tach.. i have a GOOD autometer tach, so i have no issues.. i really want to see if i can drive a stock VW gasser tach tho..

bracket is made from 1/4" aluminum. its bolted to the block with 2 grade 8.8 bolts. it DOES NOT vibrate.. you can hold the engine at whatever speed you want, and the sensor doesnt even WIGGLE..

this is another one of those builds that makes me want to bang my head on the wall.. ive had all these parts laying around, just not the knowledge to use al of them in a way that works..

anyway, pics to come later.

and NO, there were no issues with triangulation  8)

and people can criticize my build all they want, im not going to change it for anyone.. i will actually welcome criticism, because i am VERY CONFIDENT in my build skills..

i may have not done it the best way possible, big deal.. i made it functional, and transferable to another engine if need be. it IS ADJUSTABLE, and it is very easily removed to gain access to the main drive belt..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #17November 29, 2011, 04:08:47 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 04:08:47 pm »
i may have not done it the best way possible, big deal.. i made it functional, and transferable to another engine if need be. it IS ADJUSTABLE, and it is very easily removed to gain access to the main drive belt..

Gee what more can a guy (or gal if your reading this) want?  Cost is low, it is out of the way when needed service comes calling, it is above all functional and you can use it other places.  

Can't wait for the pictures, I may be following suit here as my ride really could use the tach.  I just like em.

Oh I had to come back and thank ya for sperminting for the rest of us.  Gasser tachs are a dime a doz but to find a diesel tach and not have the W terminal is like pulling hens teeth.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:14:43 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #18November 29, 2011, 04:18:46 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 04:18:46 pm »

Gee what more can a guy (or gal if your reading this) want?  Cost is low, it is out of the way when needed service comes calling, it is above all functional and you can use it other places. 

Can't wait for the pictures, I may be following suit here as my ride really could use the tach.  I just like em.

im with you on this one. a tachometer is my favorite gauge hands down.

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #19November 29, 2011, 04:41:17 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 04:41:17 pm »
i really want to see if i can drive a stock VW gasser tach tho..

It should.. The only thing I noticed is that the gasser tach seemed slow to respond to RPM increases.. Could have just been my tach too as it did eventually die alltogether...

Reply #20November 30, 2011, 07:31:14 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 07:31:14 am »
thumbs up this is cool, simple and cheap with out having to question accuracy at all.  i've done quite a few of the gas tach conversions for myself and other peope, and it works great, how ever i think this method is a bit easier assuming someone has the ability to make a mount for the sensor
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #21November 30, 2011, 08:10:00 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 08:10:00 am »
Yes. This is nice I would love to do this, show me pictures so I can copy it. I may have to buy a gauge pod from that guy as I am out of room in my center consol.

Reply #22November 30, 2011, 09:35:28 am

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 09:35:28 am »
In order for us to really do a good job copying this setup we would like AutoCad drawings please.  But a napkin and felt pen will work as well. 

Reply #23November 30, 2011, 11:18:45 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
Inductive pickup to drive a tachometer.
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:45 am »
In order for us to really do a good job copying this setup we would like AutoCad drawings please.  But a napkin and felt pen will work as well. 

if you want auto-cad drawings form me, you may have a better chance of seeing god..

im not gonna completely design this for you guys.. i dont want anyone to COPY my setup. i wanna see who can come up with a better setup in all actuality..

Reply #24November 30, 2011, 01:54:04 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
Re: Inductive pickup to drive a tachometer..
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 01:54:04 pm »
Also, i didnt use a crank angle sensor in the final build.. i used a cam position sensor off of a different ford engine..

its a more low profile pickup, kinda looks like a wheel speed sensor.

and you dont HAVE TO use the same pickup as me. or even one from a ford. any 2 wire magnetic pickup SHOULD work  as long as it can put out a strong enough signal..

if you have a newer GM wheel speed sensor, dont use it, they dont work.. there really small, and fit nicely anywhere, but dont make enough juice to drive a tach..

anyways, pics as promised.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:27:51 pm by R.O.R-2.0 »

Reply #25November 30, 2011, 04:33:21 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 04:33:21 pm »
The gautlet has been thrown, better this!  OK, let's see how good we can make it.  Over the next year or so we should have quite a few folks that can try their hand at this.  I for one am putting it on the things to do list.  Might end up as a major mod in the future.  like the governor mod. 

Thanks so much for the work and I know you will be tweaking on this as time goes by.  It is just in our nature to do so.  That is why we are here in the first place, NO?

Reply #26November 30, 2011, 07:53:52 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 07:53:52 pm »
I see red marker...one of my favorite tools since I seemed to always break my crayons :(   
I didn't realize that this was all that had to be done. The nuts are just steel and since they are welded off the steel pulley it only reads the nuts? Also, why 2? How does this work electrically speaking as I don't know this end of the spectrum well.

Reply #27November 30, 2011, 08:06:25 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 08:06:25 pm »
I see red marker...one of my favorite tools since I seemed to always break my crayons :(   
I didn't realize that this was all that had to be done. The nuts are just steel and since they are welded off the steel pulley it only reads the nuts? Also, why 2? How does this work electrically speaking as I don't know this end of the spectrum well.

the nuts simulate the 2 cylinders firing per revolution of the crank. remember, im trying to duplicate a gasser tach signal. and a gasser coil fires twice per revolution of the crank.

the nuts are just a chunk of metal to excite the magnetic coil in the pickup. since its an inductive pickup, it carries its magnets inside it, and requires no external magnets to make a current..

yes, i love sharpies, i have a bucket of them in my shop. most of them being red..  ;D

Reply #28December 01, 2011, 09:36:16 pm

81 vw pu

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 09:36:16 pm »
Heres one I put on my caddy today, did'nt want to copy yours so heres a little different version.
Sensor is 92 F-250 rear anti-lock. No welder needed for those without one. Works great even with a cheapo tach.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:41:12 pm by 81 vw pu »

Reply #29December 02, 2011, 08:58:43 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 08:58:43 am »
i used my smaller pulley specifically so you guys couldnt copy it to a TEE.. unless you figured out what pulley i was running, and that i had to make a spacer to run it also.. so, it CAN be copied, but you gotta go thru the same hassle i did  ;D

if you weld nuts on the outter lip of the pulley like i did, and you are running a stock diesel pulley set, then the nuts will hit the water pump pulley BAD.

most diesels have the bigger pulley setup, i used a small crank pulley with a small water pump pulley.. (underdrive)

i dont know if the pullies on my engine were stock to it (vanagon) or if they were rabbit pullies. i know the crank pulley on there now is off an OLD 1.5D... (like, really old.. the engine i got the small pulley from, originally had manual brakes, just to give you an idea)

i like the setup tho. it takes alot of the guess work out of making the trigger wheel.. only problem i could see, is that the bolts holding the bracket together may vibrate out.. these engines have ONE HELL of a harmonic vibration @ 3k rpms..

Fixmyvw.com