Author Topic: Rabbit is dead again :(  (Read 8905 times)

Reply #45November 01, 2012, 01:14:12 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Rabbit is dead again :(
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 01:14:12 pm »
Alright guys analyze away!

I'm not too sure what i'm looking for but it didn't seem like i could find any reason that compression would be leaking into the coolant passages. The headgasket seemed okay. Head seemed okay and the block had a few scratches but i'm not even sure those weren't there before. Seems like the is a bit of water corrosion/rust on the valves for cyl... 4?

Anyway i'm not too sure what i'm looking for but if you guys give me some more places to look/take pictures i'd be happy too. Honestly i feel a little weird having taken this whole engine out for possible just a bad gasket...

another interesting note: the head bolts for the center two bolts were extremely tight, and the others seemed alot looser. I'm not sure if that could be warp-age but i thought it might be relevant info.

'84 Rabbit Diesel- 1.6D Stock

Reply #46November 01, 2012, 06:49:24 pm

airhead

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 06:49:24 pm »
That's the first time I've seen a VW IDI diesel head that doesn't have cracks between the valves! I reckon you should have just gotten the head skimmed and put a new gasket on!

Reply #47November 01, 2012, 09:40:55 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 09:40:55 pm »
I think he just got it hot with the loss of coolant, the head was loose and the gasket went pop.  That made it hard to start but your dad got it going by pulling it.  Then it would start when hot.  At least once.  There does seem to be some scoring on the pistons but not like it is toast.  How many miles on this beast? 

Any takers on the lower block?  If not I might hit you up for some of those parts.  You sure you want to scrap this out?  Looks more like a head gasket replacement with new head bolts could have had you up and running.  Your buddy would have been out very little as he did offer to pay for the fix. 

Just my analysis on the pictures. 

Reply #48November 01, 2012, 09:51:04 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: Rabbit is dead again :(
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 09:51:04 pm »
Only 115xxx on the motor. Very low mileage.

I already took the time to swap a td block into my rabbit. So I don't really even need to keep this. And I feel safer with oil squirters and a little tougher alloys. But with a few extra parts this could probably be a running engine in no time at all. I would prefer for someone to benefit from it as a running engine after some love.

Although I do wish I'd have taken the time to pull the head before I got the td engine... would've saved me a lot of effort but at the time it seemed like there was a high probability of a cracked block or worse. Oh well you live and you learn right?

But if it doesn't go as one unit then I'd hate for it to just sit and rust and I have literally no where to store it right now...

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2

Reply #49November 01, 2012, 10:32:46 pm

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: Re: Rabbit is dead again :(
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2012, 10:32:46 pm »
That's the first time I've seen a VW IDI diesel head that doesn't have cracks between the valves! I reckon you should have just gotten the head skimmed and put a new gasket on!

Only VW diesel head in existence without cracks between the valves! I'll start the bidding at $5000! Own this one of a kind rare engine part.

Haha;)::)

Reply #50November 02, 2012, 02:34:22 am

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 02:34:22 am »
This story is really similar to my 85 jetta td engine that a family member overheated back in april.  They drove it after a coolant hose burst AND even after noticing the flashing low coolant light.  They knew that meant trouble and to pull over but wanted to drive just a bit longer until bam the car locked up.  Steam was coming from under the hood with what little was left.

I limped it back home slowly and had to pull over allot to put more fluid in it because it was spitting it out.  It actually cold started ok but it spit air into the reservoir constantly.

Upon breakdown I found a hint of coolant on 2 cylinders and like yours I have NO cracks on my hydro head.  I crudely have put a straight edge to my head and can't fit a feeler gage anywhere according to bently specs.  I have not taken this to a machine shop yet.

Head gasket didn't even really look torn apart to my eye.  When I broke the bottom end down further though at first what I thought was oil sludge looks to be darkened metals on the pistons and crank.  Don't see gouges and haven't cleaned things further.  Not sure if its damage or overheated oil?

I have learned to just run a used engine that performs well until something happens.  On the rebuild front I can get one going for a pretty good price but then all the little stuff you need to replace adds up.  I have another turbo motor I will rebuild when I get time and even though I got the pistons I have to have the motor bored and that head checked over so the cost is still going to approach $1000
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #51November 06, 2012, 07:02:42 am

Rising

• Veteran

Re: Re: Rabbit is dead again :(
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2012, 07:02:42 am »
Aww come on you are ruining my one of a kind selling scam! Haha.

But yeah it sounds pretty similar. In the end I figured I'd have more money rebuilding it than I would replacing it. And if I were to ever build one up I'd want to do it right with some good stuff and I'd want it to whistle. So I'm sure costs would add up quick!

Fixmyvw.com