S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Rabbit car audio  (Read 7445 times)

Reply #45November 26, 2011, 03:33:23 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: Rabbit car audio
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2011, 03:33:23 pm »
x2
I liked my polk audio stuff over the MB, but it was just personal preferrence. MB were good speakers. I never paid retail either, but I know I never paid close to cost. My guy would show me the books, but never a check or invoice :D

Reply #46November 26, 2011, 04:10:09 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2011, 04:10:09 pm »
I still have some of my old MB Quart QM series speakers (before they went bankrupt and sold to Rockford), MTX black and gold amps, Diamond Audio M5 subs etc..  Other than Audio Control, it's tough to find stuff made in the U.S.

I remember paying $300+ for a set of Quarts or $500+ for a Soundstream amp, and I never paid retail.  My stereo guy that I've been using for 20 years (or longer) will break out the books and show me his cost, if I ask.  I'm not sure if the ends justify the means.... today's China stuff is way more affordable and isn't terrible.  I'm not sure that I'd be willing to pay that much for stereo equipment, nowadays.  When I was younger, I had a lot more disposable income.

-Todd

soundstream is chinese now, and they still work GREAT.. im sure its not the us made quality that we all love, but my soundstream amps have been awesome..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #47November 26, 2011, 08:03:56 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2011, 08:03:56 pm »
soundstream is chinese now

Yeah, I'm well aware of that....  tough to find anything that isn't, lol. I used to use a bunch of their "MC" and "D" line amps, way back when.  I got away from them when they lost the anodized blue design and went "Reference".

Maybe 3-4 years back I stupidly blew a set of Exact 5.2s that probably retailed for about $400-$450.  It was totally my fault, but I got a new receipt and got them replaced under warranty....  a 10-15 year warranty, lol!  Anyhow, I got the Soundstream rep to send me 2 sets of 6.5" coaxials in exchange.  I Googled the speakers that they sent me and I was finding them for about $50 shipped.  Lighter cones, stamped steel frame, instead of the heavy cast AL frame, smaller, cheaper crossovers, etc., but they're not the worst speakers I've ever owned; I currently have a set in the truck.

Back on topic, I plan on running either these 6.5" or a set of 5.25" in the doors.  I was thinking of doing another power window set-up, losing the remote mirrors and mounting them high where the 4" cutouts are.

-Todd

Reply #48November 26, 2011, 08:34:47 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2011, 08:34:47 pm »
soundstream is chinese now

Yeah, I'm well aware of that....  tough to find anything that isn't, lol. I used to use a bunch of their "MC" and "D" line amps, way back when.  I got away from them when they lost the anodized blue design and went "Reference".

Maybe 3-4 years back I stupidly blew a set of Exact 5.2s that probably retailed for about $400-$450.  It was totally my fault, but I got a new receipt and got them replaced under warranty....  a 10-15 year warranty, lol!  Anyhow, I got the Soundstream rep to send me 2 sets of 6.5" coaxials in exchange.  I Googled the speakers that they sent me and I was finding them for about $50 shipped.  Lighter cones, stamped steel frame, instead of the heavy cast AL frame, smaller, cheaper crossovers, etc., but they're not the worst speakers I've ever owned; I currently have a set in the truck.

Back on topic, I plan on running either these 6.5" or a set of 5.25" in the doors.  I was thinking of doing another power window set-up, losing the remote mirrors and mounting them high where the 4" cutouts are.

-Todd

i have a Rubicon 1600w monoblock amp, and its got the anodized blue chassis.. its actually a nice heavy piece for a chinese amp.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com