Author Topic: K24 turbo for sale  (Read 9397 times)

Reply #15November 20, 2011, 06:10:34 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: K24 turbo for sale
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 06:10:34 pm »
ok so i do that and then with no boost control what does this turbo want to do with stock fueling?

the wastegate controls the boost pressure limit.  the overboost valve on the intake doesn't ever do anything unless the wastegate fails.

if you were to do nothing but block the overboost protection, you would notice ZERO difference.. but if you turned up your fueling, and added a boost controller, then you could make it have more power.. do the gov mod, and turn up the fuel screw even more, then it would be a ROCKET..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16November 21, 2011, 02:31:59 am

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 02:31:59 am »
what if the wastegate fails and there is no bov with stock fueling?  is there no way it will reach levels to blow a head gasket?

also just to make sure im on the right page, i can literally throw this on my car right now?  kinda looks the same as well as the drain hose. 

but does my oil feed line bolt right up to this exactly since its a hard line?

also how would i hook up a boost controller to this one?

thanks!

i can't quite tell what is going on with my setup.  no noises and i can hear it whine when boosting.  but i wonder about it.  i can see oil come through the boost gage line.  and it looks like there is fresh oil where the turbo halves are mated and bolted.  it also looks like oil is somehow flung on the heat shield behind it.  also there is a pool of oil from the top of that thing the lda hose goes into and its seeping down to where the manifolds bolt up.  i know my valve cover gasket is leaking, i plan on using great stuff on that soon, but i can't pinpoint the oil from higher up.  the 2 rubber hoses on the turbo appear to be dry where they are clamped.

months ago due to a bad exhaust leak and a broke stud and most that were hand loose, i broke it all down and got new studs/bolts/gaskets and resealed everything.  it was all dry for a while.  also i broke the threaded part off the housing on my turbo where the hardlines interconnect and jbwelded it back on and clamped it in place while it dried.  then i used loctite and tightened it down and it has held for a few months!  not even a drop of oil there but i feel like im on borrowed time and plan on throwing it away and putting another turbo in.

just want to make sure i can drag and drop  and not hurt my mileage :)
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #17November 21, 2011, 02:55:12 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 02:55:12 am »
BTW: The Gillis valve boost controller is just a $9 pressure regulator from Graingers with a small hose barb soldered on and they work very well. They tend to be more "binary" that just a wastegate actuator since the WGA sees no pressure at all until the max boost setting is reached.

Reply #18November 21, 2011, 01:08:50 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 01:08:50 pm »
why would you disable your wastegate?

even if the turbo starts boosting like crazy, its not gonna do anything bad on stock fueling. stock fueling wont allow it to build enough boost..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #19November 21, 2011, 01:20:36 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 01:20:36 pm »
Its not boost that will push a HG out, but rather cylinder pressure which is limited by both air and fuel. All the boost in the world with little fuel won't give you much hp or cylinder pressure, just low EGTs.

Reply #20November 21, 2011, 01:24:02 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2011, 01:24:02 pm »
Its not boost that will push a HG out, but rather cylinder pressure which is limited by both air and fuel. All the boost in the world with little fuel won't give you much hp or cylinder pressure, just low EGTs.

yes, and cylinder pressure has a direct relation to drive pressure, and back pressure.

high drive pressure is REALLY BAD.. you lose the head off the block if its BAD ENOUGH.

ask me how i know?!

Reply #21November 21, 2011, 01:37:45 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 01:37:45 pm »
i had a k24 with a stuck wastegate, when i first got the engine it was annoying cause it would build boost then at 12psi the bov would open and kill all the power.  then i plugged that up, and with a stuck wastegate i never saw more than 15psi of boost.  more fuel made more boost.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #22November 21, 2011, 01:39:55 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 01:39:55 pm »
i had a k24 with a stuck wastegate, when i first got the engine it was annoying cause it would build boost then at 12psi the bov would open and kill all the power.  then i plugged that up, and with a stuck wastegate i never saw more than 15psi of boost.  more fuel made more boost.

thats what i figured, because im running a wastegateless turbo, and fueling is the only thing that regulates my boost.

Reply #23November 21, 2011, 08:59:10 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 08:59:10 pm »
yes, and cylinder pressure has a direct relation to drive pressure, and back pressure.

high drive pressure is REALLY BAD.. you lose the head off the block if its BAD ENOUGH.

ask me how i know?!

ROR, what do you mean by drive pressure?

Reply #24November 22, 2011, 09:12:20 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 09:12:20 pm »

ask me how i know?!

ROR, what do you mean by drive pressure?

drive pressure only has to do with turbo engines..

drive pressure is the pressure between the exhaust valve, and turbine inlet (exhaust manifold pressure, if you will) ideal drive pressure is 1:1, meaning for every pound of boost you pump into the engine, the drive pressure rises 1 pound also. most turbos arent that efficient tho, thats why i said IDEAL drive pressure is 1:1..

Reply #25January 25, 2012, 04:40:28 pm

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2012, 04:40:28 pm »
BUMP WANT IT GONE MAKE AN OFFER!
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

Reply #26March 11, 2012, 01:13:12 pm

damac

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 01:13:12 pm »
If you still have this let me know what you will take :)
1985 turbo diesel jetta

Reply #27March 11, 2012, 01:15:07 pm

ilikevwdiesel

• Veteran

• Erupt into a BEVRAGE this summer with Glug!
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 01:15:07 pm »
If you still have this let me know what you will take :)

sorry sold it. post has been updated.
Look, if corn and kudzu fall in love and have a baby in a lab under the supervision of scientists working in my employ, WHO AM I TO STOP THAT other than the CEO responsible for stopping it???

My Bio

S-PAutomotive.com