Author Topic: Ideas wanted - AAZ Diesel stalling at idle  (Read 2806 times)

November 09, 2011, 02:15:41 pm

starrd

• Junior

Ideas wanted - AAZ Diesel stalling at idle
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »
Here is the story:

Car was running fine.  Less than 15,000 km's since the rebuild.  Rebuild included a Giles Super pump. 

About a month ago, I adjusted the fuel screw out because there was too much fuel.  At the same time I did this, the idle dropped so I went to adjust it, and adjusted the wrong adjustment which caused the RPM's to take off.  I killed it quick and then adjusted this back to approximately where I started.  I then adjusted the screw connected to my vacuum idle increase to get the desired rpm change.

This morning on the way to work, can ran fine (1 hour drive) untill I geared down to turn into the driveway.  Once the rpm's dropped, the car stalled.  I coasted to my parking spot.  I then re-started the car, but it wouldn't idle.  As soon as I let off the fuel, it stalls.   I have half a tank of fuel, weather is above freezing. Nothing visibly wrong. 

Any ideas?

Black 1996 Passat TDI Malone tune, K03/04 Hybrid, Keyless, VR6 Clutch & PP357's
White 1993 Passat TD - GTD nozzles, Keyless - Giles pump, K14, Intercooler, 228mm VR6 clutch & PP, CTN Trans etc
Red 1990 Corrado - custom chip by

Reply #1November 09, 2011, 03:32:26 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
Re: Ideas wanted - AAZ Diesel stalling at idle
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:32:26 pm »
loose connection and getting air in line or no fuel.  

Fuel filter plugged or screen in IP plugged

Bad connection at fuel solenoid or ground

Get a look at the vac line and those things you tweak last.  Nine times out of ten the last place you worked is the area of the problem now.

That the norms that I can think of for no idle in a situation like that.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 03:34:17 pm by ORCoaster »

Reply #2November 09, 2011, 04:25:17 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:25:17 pm »
Check to see if anything is loose that shouldn't be - I had my residual fuel screw come loose causing a hanging idle, but it could just as easily have moved the opposite direction. 
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #3November 09, 2011, 05:12:28 pm

starrd

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:12:28 pm »
Thanks for the replys

Further info:

Once I get it started it won't idle but it will rev up with no apparent loss of power.

Wouldn't a plugged fuel filter cause worse problems at higher RPM's?

All adjustment points on the pump are tight.  I even increased the residual fuel a bit to try and help.  Makes it a little better but not the answer.

I raised the idle up so I can try and get home tonight.  It is now at about 1200 RPM, but it is not very stable.  Also, in order to start, I have to use the throttle.  I can't just leave it alone as I usually do.  Even with the throttle, the the cranking time is quite long.

If it isn't the fuel filter, then I will have to make sure it isn't variable crank sprocket timing - although I have the TDI crank gear.

Hoping it isn't the pump!  Never fails, my son is using my normal daily driver while I rebuild his G60 engine.

Update:

Made it home fine.  I don't get it??  Car idles and starts fine now after the 1 hour drive home!!  I had to set the idle back down and I unscrewed the residual screw to reduce the throttle hang.  I will be closely looking at the crank sprocket as variable timing seems to be the only thing that makes sense???  I will change the fuel filter as a precautionary measure but I don't believe that is the problem.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 08:29:43 pm by starrd »
White 1993 Passat TD - GTD nozzles, Keyless - Giles pump, K14, Intercooler, 228mm VR6 clutch & PP, CTN Trans etc

Reply #4November 10, 2011, 02:16:41 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 02:16:41 am »
Sometimes some junk in the pump can cause weirdness like that.  How long have you had the car for now?  Fill up anywhere different lately?
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #5November 10, 2011, 09:01:00 am

starrd

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 09:01:00 am »
I've had the car for a long time - personally driven it for over 300,000 km's but the pump was rebuilt ~15,000 km's ago.  I did fill up at Chevron for the first time since I owned it last tank.  The pump mentioned it may contain up to X% of Bidiesel.  I'll change the fuel filter this weekend and top up the tank with other fuel as well as check my crank gear.  The Harmonic Balancer is running true though!

Thanks for the ideas and help!

Fixmyvw.com