Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: do i need to check my egt's on a vanagon AAZ  (Read 3173 times)

November 08, 2011, 07:54:12 am

paolomarks

• Junior

do i need to check my egt's on a vanagon AAZ
« on: November 08, 2011, 07:54:12 am »
Ive got an 82 vanagon 7 passenger with a newly installed AAZ out of a 96 jetta(Canada).  I'm running stock boost (10psi) and have not turned up the fuel screw.  Water temp stays rock solid and oil temp  thanks to a newly installed exterior oil cooler never goes above 230 f  even on extended climbs here in west virginia.  But what about my egt's  ?  Do I need to be checking them , or am i safe.  ?  Thanks, Paolo

Reply #1November 08, 2011, 09:18:27 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
Re: do i need to check my egt's on a vanagon AAZ
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:18:27 am »
Generally if you are using your engine in a completely stock way, you can get away without an EGT gauge since VW already did all the engineering to ensure it wouldn't melt down under normal use.

That said, you're using the engine in an application it wasn't originally intended for.  You're moving far more weight than a Jetta, meaning you're using more fuel and making more heat.  Even if your boost levels are stock, you are definitely running higher EGTs than the engine would have in the Jetta it came out of. 

Heavy vehicle + extended climbs = need an EGT gauge.

Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #2November 08, 2011, 10:24:36 am

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:24:36 am »
How'd you get a Canadian aaz to west Virginia?

Reply #3November 08, 2011, 01:06:18 pm

paolomarks

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 01:06:18 pm »
Thanks for the response.
 What do those of you who have EGT gauges consider an unsafe temp for this engine. (AAZ with K03 turbo)  and when you reach this temp do you pull over and shut her down?   
     As far as getting the AAZ to West Virginia,  I went to Ottawa to visit my brother, bought the car for $300 ,had a garage take out the engine in exchange for them getting to keep and scrap the carcass, put it under a tarp and went across the border.  Paolo

Reply #4November 08, 2011, 01:51:20 pm

Vitwagen

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 01:51:20 pm »
What do those of you who have EGT gauges consider an unsafe temp for this engine. (AAZ with K03 turbo)  and when you reach this temp do you pull over and shut her down?   

Not a Vanagon, But I run an AAZ in a Suzuki Vitara (Sidekick/Tracker to you US fellas). Big tyres, and as aerodynamic as a brick. You WILL run hotter temps, even standard. And if you fit a gauge, it'll mean you can turn things up a bit too  :D

Anyway, temps for these... I asked, and the general consensus was around 700DegsC. If it gets close, just ease off the throttle for a bit and it will drop. I can go from 180 to 650 in about 15 seconds if I nail it.

HTH.

Reply #5November 08, 2011, 02:22:19 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 02:22:19 pm »
Thanks for the response.

Generally speaking a true turbo engine (with the oil squirters, TD pistons, etc) can withstand temps up to 1400°F.  Most people like to keep temps below 1300°F.

Exhaust Gas Temperature behaves totally differently from cooling system temperature.  The effect of a change in fueling causes an almost instant change in EGTs - what you are measuring is how hot the last 'burn' was in the engine as opposed to how hot the engine cooling system has gotten.  You can change the 'burn' temperature by adding or reducing fuel with your right foot :)

Once you have your EGT gauge, you can dial in the fueling on your pump up so that you won't go over 1300°F or so even when holding the pedal to the floor going up a steep grade.  That way you can basically run your engine as hard as you want all day long and know you aren't ever in the danger zone.  Or you can leave yourself with a bit more fueling headroom for when you need it, but watch the gauge when climbing to ensure you stay in the safe zone.

By far the biggest danger is sustained climbing.  Hard acceleration doesn't usually last more than a few seconds, whereas driving up the side of a mountain can last several minutes.  Plenty of time for things to get nice and melty.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

S-PAutomotive.com