Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6 N/A actual performance testimonials!  (Read 10923 times)

Reply #15October 31, 2011, 12:58:16 pm

ffgb

• Junior

Re: 1.6 N/A actual performance testimonials!
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 12:58:16 pm »
That is the message I wanted to hear, turbo and a N/A pump!!! What is your setup? What all items did you have to get for the conversion? Anything you learned and might have done a little different with the conversion?  Thanks!

Reply #16October 31, 2011, 02:46:52 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 02:46:52 pm »
That is the message I wanted to hear, turbo and a N/A pump!!! What is your setup? What all items did you have to get for the conversion? Anything you learned and might have done a little different with the conversion?  Thanks!

i used a stock n/a long block, fitted a TD filter housing, oil pan, oil lines, VNT turbo, mk2 gasser intake manifold, intercooler.

i also used the n/a pump for a while. but theres no way i would ever use a n/a pump top again. you can modify the n/a pump body to throw down the same fueling as a TRUE TD pump.. i drove the fuel limiter pin out of the way of the governor fulcrum plate, and added a TD pump top to my n/a pump. man it came alive after i did that. shortly after i installed the LDA, and tweeked it close to where i wanted it, the clutch went up in flames (not literally, but you get the idea)

vdubspeed and I are probably the cheapest TD conversions on the forum. i did my swap for under a grand, including the cost of the vehicle. and it was over 4years/50k miles ago that i did my turbo conversion. havent had one issue since, except for blown boost couplers.. but those happen at high boost pressures. im running ~20 psi into a stock n/a block

vdubspeed built his setup very cheaply also..

if i were gonna do it again, theres no way i would try to build such big power out of a stock n/a engine. im far away from stock TD power levels. i would say i have atleast TWICE the power and torque of a stock TD engine. and my boost builds ALOT sooner because of my VNT turbo.. i can make full boost by 2000rpms.

92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #17November 01, 2011, 12:35:15 am

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2011, 12:35:15 am »
Giles $1k < Turbo ~$400

Just wanted to back this up. My friend went the Giles route and I went the turbo route on an N/A(still n/a pump)

I'll be nice, he wished he had gone my route.

If you're just building a pos that gets good mileage and can get out of it's own way this may be true but if you want to do a proper build Giles is the man bar none.

Reply #18November 01, 2011, 12:58:34 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 12:58:34 am »
If you're just building a pos that gets good mileage and can get out of it's own way this may be true but if you want to do a proper build Giles is the man bar none.

yes. But $1k for not much better mpg and less power? A Giles pump should not be wasted on a non turbo engine.. unless for some reason you have one sitting around..

Reply #19November 01, 2011, 04:33:57 pm

JessaBug

• Junior

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 04:33:57 pm »
The n/a pumps from Giles I think are around $600-$650, not $1k. Even that is over the TD pump prices, or at least what we paid last year for one. Worked out to be around $900 USD ($950CAD) I believe for our TD performance rebuild. Great buy for sure. Definitely notice the difference in the car after we put it on. Couple it with a few little mods and you have a great addition to the car (we did a 2.5" exhaust and it really woke the car up. But we also coupled that with the full engine and turbo rebuild  ;D ;D)

But if you are keeping the car n/a, as much I love our Giles pump, I do agree that going turbo first would be the way to go. Silly to spend the coin on a Giles pump on an n/a. Get that turbo on there, run it awhile, and save up for a TD pump from Giles  8)
Mine - BMP 20thAE GTI
His - '01 Jetta TDI
Our project: '84 Jetta TD

Reply #20November 02, 2011, 03:01:34 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 03:01:34 am »
Giles $1k < Turbo ~$400

Just wanted to back this up. My friend went the Giles route and I went the turbo route on an N/A(still n/a pump)

I'll be nice, he wished he had gone my route.

so, does that make my car more of a POS just because i dont have a giles pump on there? ive got a pump with less than 30k miles on my car, i dont feel it needs a rebuild quite yet..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #21November 02, 2011, 12:01:24 pm

vdubspeed

• Junior

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »
my friend's Giles pump was in the $900+ range!

My turbo setup was in the $400 to $500 but I build and do everything my self. That also includes the $100 EGT gauge!

My setup is a stock 1.6 n/a engine, 1.6 TD oil pump, Spearco intake, 1998 Jetta TDI exhaust manifold and turbo, custom oil feed and return lines. Pump has the gov mod and 1.5 turn in on the screw. I took a prothe downpipe and cut/reweld it to match up to my exhaust. I boost 15psi or there abouts. Car is a blast to drive now after driving an n/a pump.

Not to say that Giles doesn't build nice pumps BUT if you are looking to make a little more power, NOTHING will beat adding a snail and cranking up the fuel a little.

Here's the build thread. It really isn't much to read because boosting a diesel is so damn easy.
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=29061.0

Good luck,

Jason

Reply #22November 02, 2011, 01:51:18 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 01:51:18 pm »
my friend's Giles pump was in the $900+ range!

My turbo setup was in the $400 to $500 but I build and do everything my self. That also includes the $100 EGT gauge!

My setup is a stock 1.6 n/a engine, 1.6 TD oil pump, Spearco intake, 1998 Jetta TDI exhaust manifold and turbo, custom oil feed and return lines. Pump has the gov mod and 1.5 turn in on the screw. I took a prothe downpipe and cut/reweld it to match up to my exhaust. I boost 15psi or there abouts. Car is a blast to drive now after driving an n/a pump.

Not to say that Giles doesn't build nice pumps BUT if you are looking to make a little more power, NOTHING will beat adding a snail and cranking up the fuel a little.

Here's the build thread. It really isn't much to read because boosting a diesel is so damn easy.
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=29061.0

Good luck,

Jason

oh man, if you had an LDA buddy.. you would be in heaven.

knock that limiter pin out of your n/a pump, and drop a TD top on your n/a pump. it does wonders. cleaned up my smoke, and gave me more boost. car was actually boosting to the mid 20s last night, it was a ROCKET.

and Natnah_B..

your truck is a mk1. and the back half of it is a big box of air... Lucas's car is a mk2 jetta. thats not even a good comparison.

mk1s, and mk2s are a WAY DIFFERENT ball game...

your truck, and his car could have the same HP/TQ, and your caddy would still be faster, its only like say, 700 lbs lighter?!

its all about power to weight, not whos pump your running.

im running a pump on my car that i built and tuned myself, and it does a damn good job of smoking clutches, and hurting trannies..

Reply #23November 02, 2011, 02:36:36 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 02:36:36 pm »
Quote from: theman53
I would say if you want a faster car do both. Add turbo and Giles pump.

Ding ding ding. Winner Winer Chicken Dinner!

Reply #24November 02, 2011, 02:48:39 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 02:48:39 pm »

my car is fast enough, any faster and i would be having regular run-ins with the law..

my car is already squirrley, and a giles pump would make that worse for sure..

if you wanna make it a little faster, tune the pump you got, and open up the intake/exhaust..

if you wanna make it alot faster, turbo it, and crank up the stock fuel pump.

if you wanna make it REALLY FAST, then GILES pump it, and turbo it, but thats getting up close to the $2k price tag..

i have ~$1000 into my whole build, including the car..

Reply #25November 02, 2011, 03:57:47 pm

Fredrikkk

• Junior

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 03:57:47 pm »
Seriously though, $2000 isn't that much money if you think about it... I know, people are on a budget, want to save money, do it yourself blah blah blah, but still, it's fun to save up and spend it on a real quality item :D
1991 VW Golf Pasadena GTD - Yeah, it's awesome.

Reply #26November 02, 2011, 07:14:41 pm

mystery3

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 07:14:41 pm »

I thought this is what we were talking about? If you want to run n/a all you should do is get a big exhaust a better intake and tweak the pump a bit...still to slow? Turbo.

Reply #27November 05, 2011, 07:51:55 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 07:51:55 pm »
This is your warning. Next time it's a ban - theman53 and nathan_b. There is no need for that.
Tyler

S-PAutomotive.com