Author Topic: I think I'm getting my car back, boys! Problems though...  (Read 4604 times)

Reply #15October 30, 2011, 02:16:51 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: I think I'm getting my car back, boys! Problems though...
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2011, 02:16:51 pm »
Did you just hear that zipping sound past your left ear.  Dodged another bullet.
Heh, yeah... Well I saw the car for the first time in person. It has new glow plugs now and started up right away. It smoked like it always did. I gave it a little bit after a couple of minutes and a whole load of white smoke came out. I checked the engine bay and I saw around the lip of the toilet bowl a mess of oil. How is this happening? Are the seals of the turbo gone?

The turbo boosted normally, but I did see a lot of white smoke. Any advice?

turbo seals are wasted. or else it has some other problem. but oil is definitely making it into the exhaust..

BTW.. toilet bowls are BAD.. really restrictive..
I have a straight 2.5" exhaust on it ;) So itīs not restrictive at all! It just has a 2.5" welded onto the outer ring of the toilet bowl.

And yeah... I know I can find me a K14 anywhere, but I really have become accustomed to the K24.. Is it worth rebuilding it?

no.

you dont get it..

the TOILET BOWL DOWNPIPE.

(the cast iron piece that bolts to the turbo and the downpipe clamps to it)

IS SUPER DUPER RESTRICTIVE..

its even more restrictive than a stock sized exhaust..

that doesnt fix your issues tho. but when you fix the car, throw that downpipe away. make a new one. quicker turbo spool, and lower EGTs will be an instant reward, as well as more power.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16October 30, 2011, 02:47:16 pm

Fredrikkk

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »
I did not know that!

But yeah, I guess I can look into that when I get back home next summer!

On a side not, itīs the turbo seals. Rebuild or get a K14? Or T3? I want a big bolt-on turbo!
1991 VW Golf Pasadena GTD - Yeah, it's awesome.

Reply #17October 30, 2011, 03:10:54 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2011, 03:10:54 pm »
I did not know that!

But yeah, I guess I can look into that when I get back home next summer!

On a side not, itīs the turbo seals. Rebuild or get a K14? Or T3? I want a big bolt-on turbo!

you WANT a laggy turbo?

i would go with a K14, or a VNT of some sort..

im running a VNT, and it builds boost LOW in the RPMs..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #18October 30, 2011, 03:32:15 pm

Fredrikkk

• Junior

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2011, 03:32:15 pm »
Yes, I do want a laggy turbo! I like being able to boost 1.2 bar safely without being scared for my turbo, like my old K14. It blew because of too high boost...

And if I had the capabilities to build a VNT-setup, I sure would. Iīd love to have high boost in low RPMīs.

Iīll have to read about it more...

Reply #19October 30, 2011, 03:38:36 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2011, 03:38:36 pm »
Yes, I do want a laggy turbo! I like being able to boost 1.2 bar safely without being scared for my turbo, like my old K14. It blew because of too high boost...

And if I had the capabilities to build a VNT-setup, I sure would. Iīd love to have high boost in low RPMīs.

its a pretty easy swap, but not in a mk2 car. gonna either have to pay an @ss load for shortys VNT mount, or wait and have Lucas get you one for ALOT CHEAPER. or build a new rear engine mount yourself..

i did a VNT swap on my mk1 car about 4-5 years ago, and its been on 2 different cars, and logged ALOT of miles, and hasnt even had a hiccup..

might be buying a biger VNT soon, so i may change it up a bit. but its almost not worth changing.. the small VNT works SOO AWESOME.

Reply #20October 30, 2011, 03:44:24 pm

Fredrikkk

• Junior

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2011, 03:44:24 pm »

its a pretty easy swap, but not in a mk2 car. gonna either have to pay an @ss load for shortys VNT mount, or wait and have Lucas get you one for ALOT CHEAPER. or build a new rear engine mount yourself..

i did a VNT swap on my mk1 car about 4-5 years ago, and its been on 2 different cars, and logged ALOT of miles, and hasnt even had a hiccup..

might be buying a biger VNT soon, so i may change it up a bit. but its almost not worth changing.. the small VNT works SOO AWESOME.
Ah yeah thatīs right.. Itīs that engine mount that effs up the whole thing...

I donīt know though... I really like my big 'ole K24! If I just did the gov mod too, it would be perfect! I enjoy being able to just swap parts between cars and having it work.

Reply #21October 30, 2011, 03:53:01 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2011, 03:53:01 pm »

Ah yeah thatīs right.. Itīs that engine mount that effs up the whole thing...

I donīt know though... I really like my big 'ole K24! If I just did the gov mod too, it would be perfect! I enjoy being able to just swap parts between cars and having it work.

if you drove your car, then drove my car, you would not want to get out of my car, guarantee it. the boost coming on low and strong is amazing.. my car pulls more like a diesel truck, than a small, revvy diesel. i swear im gonna figure out how to bend rods, or crack more blocks.. low end boost ROCKS.

when does your boost pick up? 2500-3000 revs? my car is already making 10psi by then, and the LDA is already rockin and rollin.. i build boost by 2000 revs or less, with non-functioning vanes in my turbo. it would probably be around 1500 revs if the vanes worked..

Reply #22October 30, 2011, 04:04:43 pm

Fredrikkk

• Junior

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2011, 04:04:43 pm »
Yeah, it's at about 3000 rpm. I would like to have boost by like 2000... I mean that is what turbo diesel is all about.

I'll have to look into VNT, or maybe a K14 again.... Time will show :)