Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 'Mild' gov mod?  (Read 3791 times)

October 18, 2011, 02:55:26 pm

Vitwagen

• Junior

'Mild' gov mod?
« on: October 18, 2011, 02:55:26 pm »
So, My pump is in pieces, if I'm going to do the Gov mod, it's now...

Would there be much benefit of doing a 'mild' mod, with say 1.5-2mm of washers under the main spring? I want to keep it reliable (ish)

Also, we have a yearly inspection in the UK called the MOT, and part of the test is to hold the engine on full throttle for a few seconds. How would the Gov mod affect this? It's an emissions test.

Thanks guys.

Steve

Reply #1October 18, 2011, 04:10:44 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: 'Mild' gov mod?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 04:10:44 pm »
i used just one washer, about 3mm thick. its still as reliable as a stock governor. it doesnt change anything besides how high your engine will rev before it cuts fuel.

if you dont crank up the fuel, then you wont have any changed settings besides the engines absolute RPM ceiling. but even if you over gov mod it, the engine will still only turn ~5800rpms because of the limitations of the injection pump.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2October 18, 2011, 04:14:21 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:14:21 pm »
So, My pump is in pieces, if I'm going to do the Gov mod, it's now...

Would there be much benefit of doing a 'mild' mod, with say 1.5-2mm of washers under the main spring? I want to keep it reliable (ish)

Also, we have a yearly inspection in the UK called the MOT, and part of the test is to hold the engine on full throttle for a few seconds. How would the Gov mod affect this? It's an emissions test.

Thanks guys.

Steve
BANG!!
 Well maybe, this gov mod is purposely to raise the upper rpm's is it not. The stupid MOT people cannot give me a reason for doing this test. It's on no load which is nasty too.
If the car passes the smoke test on first revs I think, they stop there. If you stuff a piece of rag up the LDA boost line that can help, and you can remove it afterwards. Backing out the max power screw a turn might help too. I defer to the  pump experts.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #3October 18, 2011, 04:26:40 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 04:26:40 pm »

Just googled and found this, not a graeat deal of help but reaffirms my 'quick test' thoughts

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=86484

I'd love to know how Reg is getting his motor through the test. I assume Simon Baxter has the Answers.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #4October 18, 2011, 07:13:49 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 07:13:49 pm »
You poor Europeans! I would be soo pissed! Wide open throttle my ass! I'd send him wide open alright. Cannot you just buy a sticker on the black market or bribe the guy or somethin?

Reply #5October 19, 2011, 08:04:34 am

carrizog60

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 08:04:34 am »
in portugal its not wot at red line,but wot from idle to lets say 4000.
its to see how dark is the smoke.
i back my fuel screw to the point it as stock power and turn the lda pin.

always passed.
vw golf gti G60--vw passat 1.9td gt2052v
yamaha vmax 1200- yamaha tdm 850
Portugal

Reply #6October 19, 2011, 10:46:49 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:49 am »
I stuck a 1/16" washer in place of the small spring and had great results with more power in the midrange.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #7October 19, 2011, 10:56:23 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:56:23 am »
I stuck a 1/16" washer in place of the small spring and had great results with more power in the midrange.

the small spring as in the idle spring? that would do nothing for top end fueling..

you want to shim ONLY THE MAIN SPRING.. we've gone over this many times..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #8October 19, 2011, 08:32:49 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:32:49 pm »
Many many many many times. Link in my signature, has all you need to know.

I don't even have a main spring in my governor assembly! ;) I have it shimmed completely solid with a ground down socket, custom one off piece :p lmao.

I just got done messing with timing and pump settings today, and have noticed a huge increase.

I've got it in its sweet spot right now. More power than before and little to no smoke at full acceleration!

Unfortunately every pump is different and noone can copy another pump to receive the same results..

But yeah, might as well just shim it solid. You'll feel the motor run out of breathe before you over spin it.. Unless you miss a shift and hit 3rd! LOL

Reply #9October 20, 2011, 01:19:32 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:19:32 am »

the small spring as in the idle spring? that would do nothing for top end fueling..

you want to shim ONLY THE MAIN SPRING.. we've gone over this many times..
No I guess it's called the intermediate spring, replaced it with a 1/16" washer.

Governor still works great, added power in the midrange.
 Compare with other ways that have been gone over many times, and their results.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Reply #10October 20, 2011, 05:42:09 am

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 05:42:09 am »
I'd love to know how Reg is getting his motor through the test.

Quite easy. wind the fuel screw out a turn or more, and screw the max throttle limit screw in about 1/4"

When I last presented for MOT the engine would rev to 3000 tops and flowers and butterflies were falling out the exhaust as it drove along.

Struggled to pull up a few hills though.

The MOT man laughed and called me an F P Taking C - which is not part of the standard UK MOT test.

Reply #11October 20, 2011, 02:57:35 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 02:57:35 pm »
Many many many many times. Link in my signature, has all you need to know.

I don't even have a main spring in my governor assembly! ;) I have it shimmed completely solid with a ground down socket, custom one off piece :p lmao.

I just got done messing with timing and pump settings today, and have noticed a huge increase.

I've got it in its sweet spot right now. More power than before and little to no smoke at full acceleration!

Unfortunately every pump is different and noone can copy another pump to receive the same results..

But yeah, might as well just shim it solid. You'll feel the motor run out of breathe before you over spin it.. Unless you miss a shift and hit 3rd! LOL

ive used a solid governor, and a light modded governor, and honestly, i like the governor with 1 shim, better than the governor with 2 shims.. the governor shimmed solid with 2 nuts was smokey bad. didnt even have the pump cranked that bad..

Reply #12October 21, 2011, 03:17:02 pm

Vitwagen

• Junior

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:17:02 pm »
Thanks for all the replies fellas. I bottled it a bit, and only fitted one 1.5mm washer.

Should be up and running tomorrow,  so I can report back then! at least I know it's not too big of a job if I decide to go for more.

S-PAutomotive.com