Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Next, I will start building the mount  (Read 11099 times)

Reply #15November 13, 2011, 04:05:02 am

Toby

• Veteran

Re: Next, I will start building the mount
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 04:05:02 am »
So let me get this straight. You guys would rather nobody said anything when a guy is talking about selling a part that can't possibly work without failing in short order? And that nobody should point out how to make this part so that it works?

If anybody wants one that will work without failing, I will happily build some since I am going to put one together for my home brew GTD.
`

Reply #16November 13, 2011, 11:51:49 pm

rabbitman

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 11:51:49 pm »
So let me get this straight. You guys would rather nobody said anything when a guy is talking about selling a part that can't possibly work without failing in short order? And that nobody should point out how to make this part so that it works?

Actually you got that partway right, were you failed is here.

Anyone with a normal brain would've suggested the fix and then SHUT UP.

You aren't the elected or proven quality control expert here, you've been all talk and no show if that makes any sense.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN

Reply #17November 14, 2011, 01:15:28 am

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2011, 01:15:28 am »
No, I am just a guy who builds things, and has been for more than 40 years. I was trying to get the guy to fix his design and execution, because I was interested in buying one that would actually work. But rather than think about it or ask someone with fab experience he chose to take his ball and go home.

Reply #18November 14, 2011, 12:50:57 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 12:50:57 pm »
well, im going to be building my own mount now i guess..

im going to build a jig with the stock motor mount, and go from there.. i dont have 40 years of fabricating experience, but i grew up in an aluminum fab shop. im fairly handy when it comes to fab work. not professional by any means, but i can cut, fit, and weld stuff no problem.

so, should we start a "battle of the builds" on mk2/3 VNT compatible rear engine brackets?  ;D
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #19November 14, 2011, 01:17:43 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 01:17:43 pm »
so, should we start a "battle of the builds" on mk2/3 VNT compatible rear engine brackets?  ;D

No..  We crush all this German trash ans get Priuses.. Lots and lost of em!!!

Reply #20November 14, 2011, 01:29:45 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 01:29:45 pm »

No..  We crush all this German trash ans get Priuses.. Lots and lost of em!!!

no way man, your high!
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #21November 14, 2011, 03:44:19 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 03:44:19 pm »
well, im going to be building my own mount now i guess..

im going to build a jig with the stock motor mount, and go from there.. i dont have 40 years of fabricating experience, but i grew up in an aluminum fab shop. im fairly handy when it comes to fab work. not professional by any means, but i can cut, fit, and weld stuff no problem.

No, I will just buy one from you, since you understand how un-triangulated brackets are likely to fail.

Reply #22November 14, 2011, 04:24:01 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 04:24:01 pm »
well i never saw any great pic of the design.. to even look for triangulation much less weld skillz.. but i have seen the $$$$$ version in person... and was unimpressed with it... will not say why.. as its rude to cretique something in those ways.. when it was not my coin involved.. or even a discussion between creater or myself..

when i built my mounts for the toaster i spent time making sure everything was boxed/triangulated so on.... most was done with my tig.. and still no issues after the 6k i put on them..

one thing i can say 100% after looking at the $$$$$$ version is its no small task.. the block is not flat.. the mounting ears are at different levels so on.. to triangulate it in a its not going to fail some horrid way.. will not be easy.. and never heard of the $$$$$ failing...

why...

the 3 bolt mount area.. not on bottom.. mount in way.. on top.. load is in wrong direction.. IMO needs to be a boxed design in that area.. no real way to triangulate it

the $$$$$$$ version was flat like this design..

no pics how he mounted it to block... so no commint.. not giving up $$$$$$$ set up..

did not see bottom pics of this design... so no idea of triangulation.. again no commint on $$$$$$$ one

i really think you all pissed on his thread with bad taste as there was no real good photos.. proto type in pic is a proto type.. things change when your building 10 vs 1...

i learned a few "tricks" building my 1 set of mounts to make my toaster use mk3 tyle over mk1.. if i ever did or needed to do set #2 would be way different.. but same function..

im only a couple hr away from him.. even offered him use of my tig if he wanted.. but pissing on a thread before there is a "final product" photo shoot... wrong in so many ways..

Reply #23November 14, 2011, 05:08:30 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 05:08:30 pm »
No one was "pissing on his thread". I was trying to help him make his design workable but his ego was, apparently, too fragile for that. I have never built anything that could not be improved. This was not his lifes work. I did not say his baby was ugly. I did not call his mother names. Most of us would have likely responded with something like: " Oh, damn. You're right. I will fix that". He chose to be a crybaby and take his ball and go home. This list seems to have few technically proficient people posting regularly and it seems that many people here have thin skins. Many other lists are much more rough and tumble. This one has some good info and knowledgeable folks, but such a bunch of silliness to wade through to get to it.

Reply #24November 14, 2011, 06:23:18 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 06:23:18 pm »
This one has some good info and knowledgeable folks, but such a bunch of silliness to wade through to get to it.

Indeed

Reply #25November 14, 2011, 09:14:21 pm

BigVWman

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 09:14:21 pm »
No one was "pissing on his thread". I was trying to help him make his design workable but his ego was, apparently, too fragile for that. I have never built anything that could not be improved. This was not his lifes work. I did not say his baby was ugly. I did not call his mother names. Most of us would have likely responded with something like: " Oh, damn. You're right. I will fix that". He chose to be a crybaby and take his ball and go home. This list seems to have few technically proficient people posting regularly and it seems that many people here have thin skins. Many other lists are much more rough and tumble. This one has some good info and knowledgeable folks, but such a bunch of silliness to wade through to get to it.

There is a time and place for your opinion and in his for sale thread was not the place for it! Its about being respectful to others and learning when to bite your tongue. After your first post when you stated your OPINION you should have practiced some Shut the F*ck up! Try it anyhwere else and the mods will likely bounce you faster than you can tell us about all your triangulation!
Tim
83 rabbit shell 92 cabby tdi conversion, 91 cabby aba conversion, 87 cabby,  87 gti,  01nb tdi new project,00 1.8t nb, 98 ranger,92 f150 flareside(its pink) 97 cabrio and a 00 cabrio!

Reply #26November 14, 2011, 10:29:30 pm

Toby

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2011, 10:29:30 pm »
A) He does not own the thread.
B) Everything I said was true and well reasoned.
C) I was polite but direct
D) If that hurts his feelings he has a very thin skin, especially for the internet.
E) If that bothers you, just click delete.

Reply #27November 14, 2011, 10:36:05 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2011, 10:36:05 pm »
the problem toby is this... his pics suck.. there is nothing i can see in them to have caused triangulation issues.. or weld issues.. so i cannot see how your panties got in a twist..

next ive seen in real life the $$$$$$$$$ version... you really need to buy one of them.. then i wanna see your opinions of this who issue...

Reply #28November 14, 2011, 10:58:58 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2011, 10:58:58 pm »
Countdown till this thread is locked...   10....9....8.........

Reply #29November 14, 2011, 11:29:59 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2011, 11:29:59 pm »
Should have been locked looonnnnggggg ago. Some notable tidbits scattered about but reads mostly like chest thumping. 

S-PAutomotive.com