S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: WVO build threads  (Read 7182 times)

October 07, 2011, 02:28:56 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
WVO build threads
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:28:56 pm »
I recently aquired a roommate who also drives a VW diesel! So we are interested in going WVO.
Can anyone suggest or reccomend any builds on the filtering process, additives/treatment and how to go about heating the tank?

also, thoughts on having a very small diesel tank to switch from for starting on cold(-20C) mornings.

All input, including unsupportive (and reasons why), are welcome!

ps. I changed the seals in my injection pump 4-5 years ago and they were "WVO safe". Does my friend need to worry about seals swelling?

Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #1October 07, 2011, 03:05:16 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: WVO build threads
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 03:05:16 pm »
I need a little More cash and I'm going wmo.. Motor not vegetable oil!
Filter, by far, is this: http://pabiodieselsupply.com/shop/wvo-centrifuge-wmo-centrifuge-55gph-p-126.html
That will filter booth wvo and wmo down to a micron with multiple passes. It's a one time investment.. Requires no filter elements, etc.
You will need something to run it tho.. I'll be using a washin machine motor drivin a power steerin pump off an old ford
the washin machine motor was free (go to lowe's if ya'll have that; they will have a trailer round back with all the old washin machine trade ins, and it's rarely locked.. within 5 minutes you can kick one over and steal the motor.) and the power steering pump was free, so my only investment will be the $160 for the centrifuge, and 20 bucks for 2 55 gallon drums off craigslist. so for almost $200, i'll be able to endlessly filter wvo/wmo down to 1 micron.. hard-to-beat stats.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:11:07 pm by wdkingery »

Reply #2October 07, 2011, 03:44:25 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 03:44:25 pm »
Wow a $200 1 time investment.. I do a lot of oil changes for friends and I keep all their old oil.. Gallon a change.. We'd have a full tank in no time.. Not to mention the amount of places that have to pay to get rid of their oil.. I'd pay them a few bucks to give it to me..

Now say the oil wasn't pure, and had remnants of coolant or other crap in it.. Would the centrifuge also work to filter the water out of the fuel too??

Reply #3October 07, 2011, 03:57:03 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:57:03 pm »
I believe so yes Jer. If you look at the link there it gives specifics on that centrifuge.
Ed
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #4October 07, 2011, 04:00:57 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:00:57 pm »
wdkingery, just noticed our cars share paint jobs ;) yours looks much nicer than mine. I used a really sh!tty sprayer... :( too lazy to re-do it.
Ed

Reply #5October 07, 2011, 04:17:46 pm

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 04:17:46 pm »
Theory is here http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums
My CF MUST have 50 c before start(for WMO).
I`ll improve my English

Reply #6October 07, 2011, 04:35:22 pm

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 04:35:22 pm »
Sorry, im very ignorant on the subject. mtrans, I don't know what you are saying. What is "CF" and 50 c? Is that temperature? 50 degrees Celcius?
Ed

Reply #7October 07, 2011, 04:53:09 pm

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:53:09 pm »
I recently aquired a roommate who also drives a VW diesel! So we are interested in going WVO.
Can anyone suggest or reccomend any builds on the filtering process, additives/treatment and how to go about heating the tank?

also, thoughts on having a very small diesel tank to switch from for starting on cold(-20C) mornings.

All input, including unsupportive (and reasons why), are welcome!

ps. I changed the seals in my injection pump 4-5 years ago and they were "WVO safe". Does my friend need to worry about seals swelling?

Never  needed any additives, Starting with good oil is the key.
Best tank heater is a false bottom with coolant passing through it.

I prefer to not mess with the original fuel system, rather add a second complimentary system.
IMO single tank=begging for trouble. My old heap has as many problems with the diesel side as the veg side, having a switch to flip is great.

I never had issues using filter bags, 3 at once keeps up with a 3.5 HP pump, and takes ~10 min to do 50 gal.

If your friends pump is more than 4-5 years old, they need to worry about the seals and ULSD anyway.

Celebrating my 745th post
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:56:18 am by 745 turbogreasel »

Reply #8October 07, 2011, 06:48:53 pm

sdwarf36

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 06:48:53 pm »
100k sucessful miles on my veggie system. Greasecar kit www.greasecar.com Lots of good info on their forums. (i would suggest getting a kit -you get instructions + tech support. It will shorten the learning curve a bunch. Make your own for your next car.)
 My oil sits around in 55 gal drums for as long as i can. then it get poured thru 100 micron bag filters into my (insulated) settling drum. Its heated to 120* with a hot water heater element for 24 hours-then left to sit for another 24. It then gets pumped thru a series of household type water filters -a 10 then 5 then 1--into another barrel. I let it sit a week before pumping out to the car. I get 5k miles on my filters.
91 Jetta on WVO na / td swap in progress.

"VW happiness is having 4 working door handles."

Reply #9October 08, 2011, 01:00:50 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 01:00:50 am »
My filtration is about the same as sdwarf's..  Been very pleased with the results over the years.. However after watching a friend's centrifuge at work and seeing the end product I may go that route if I go back to burning WVO and WMO... 

I also highly agree with turbogreasel, add the aux fuel system, and let the diesel stuff be..  When fuel went sky high a few years ago my fuel supply almost dried up..  I was very glad to still have the standard diesel tank in place..  I also had issues in severe cold weather keeping everything warm enough (including just the engine) so once again, it was good to have the standard fuel system to fall back on..

I loosely copied my setup from grease car and took some features from a few other systems I've seen out there.. I once again agree with turbogreasel that a tank with a false bottom and coolant circulating though it is the way to go..  Running coils inside the tank is screaming for problems..  I made a round tank that fit nicely in the spare tire well with the fuel fill behind the license place like the old GM's had..  On flaw I did find with this design was that I had the tank vented though the filler cap so that I didn't have to smell the stuff in the car all the time.. However since this vent both left air in and out, I would draw moisture into the tank during very humid weather..  I eventually got a sealed filler cap and ran a vent inside the car and the moisture issue went away..

I managed about 100K from the first Rabbit with no ill effects..  Got tired of the leaky sunroof on that one and bought a nicer one that I ran about another 100+K on WVO and WMO..  The reason I stopped running it was after the block cracked in my current Rabbit it spewed oil into the coolant and gunked all the heat exchangers up..  Fortunately I kept my suppliers and continued collecting WVO for when/if I ever get around to fixing car..  It burns quite nice in my waste oil furnace...

Reply #10October 08, 2011, 04:50:08 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 04:50:08 am »
Good points on fill and venting...
If you have to do an extra 10 hours of work to get external fill, it is worth it.
If you pour veg oil over carpet, you are a sucker.

Never seen a kit with proper venting.
very few kit have a baffled tank, esp bad in Benzes.

If your kit comes with plastic coolant fittings, make a list, and throw them in the trash. Plastic has a 100% failure rate in coolant(yes OEMs do use it, often on $300 frequently failing parts).
Do not use copper with veg, green slime!
Every kit I've seen requires at least $100 in upgrade fittings at the hydraulic shop.

Just because your part was expensive, doesn't mean it is good or well engineered. Chances are it is specialized, so it is something cheap marked up 900%.

Reply #11October 08, 2011, 08:43:15 am

mtrans

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 08:43:15 am »
Smokey Eddy:
CF-centrifuge,yes 50 degrees Celcius-for my CF.

I use two SEPARATE sistem w SEPARATE filter also.I use my 70 lit standard diesel tank as oil tank,and 1.5 lit as disel tank but as I read you can get marine plastic tank of 5-30 lit cheap, even w heated line conection.
I`ll improve my English

Reply #12October 08, 2011, 10:13:26 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 10:13:26 am »
The external fill was rather easy, but then again on a MK1 the spare tire well is pretty much right up against the back of the license plate..  I think most of the kits out there just vent though the filler cap..  But none of them are made to be filled from outside the car....

very few kit have a baffled tank, esp bad in Benzes.

Another VERY good point..  Too fast on a winding road with no baffle in the tank in a MK1 can put you in a field.. Ask me how I know this...

Plastic fittings (especially on the fuel side) are crap..  I did however use the PEX tubing wrapped in insulation to run coolant to the back of the car..  They make special brass compression fittings for the stuff, I used those and screwed hose nipples on the ends and connected to the engine and tank with rubber..  I bottomed out and drug that stuff many times with no failure other than the insulation getting torn off.. Another little addition I added was an electric coolant pump.. Helps with that low RPM coolant circulation.. These can be found on Mercedes, BMW's, and GM minivans...

I also want to add that if you want to run an electric lift pump you'll need to do your research..  I tried several different varieties found at most auto parts stores and they failed relatively soon, my guess is from the heat.. I'm sure there is something out there that will work if you feel the need to run on.. I just omitted it, and everything worked fine...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:18:01 am by maxfax »

Reply #13October 08, 2011, 11:17:08 am

sdwarf36

• Junior

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 11:17:08 am »
I musta gotten lucky with my little Facet electric fuel pump. It was one that was on my race car-(removed because it once stopped and needed a hammer hit) initially used to diagnose a problem on the diesel side. (turned out to be a plugged water trap.) A problem I had was it blew the little return hoses off the injectors! I had some very small wire clamps off motorcycle vent hoses  kicking around + put them on the hoses-I also threw on a regulator+ gauge+set the pressure to 1-2 lbs. In 80k miles, the pump has worked fine-but I did have to change the regulator once. I have both diesel +veggie flowing thru it.
91 Jetta on WVO na / td swap in progress.

"VW happiness is having 4 working door handles."

Reply #14October 08, 2011, 11:55:58 am

madmedix

• Junior

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 11:55:58 am »
I agree with the baffled tank issues, had a neighbour with a merc 300D and one sure knew it had "junk in the trunk" after going through a round-about intersection  ;D
I can't help but think Eddy that Princess auto has baffled reservoir tanks in their PAL hydraulics sections that seem awfully nifty.....

Andy
'90 TD Jetta

S-PAutomotive.com