Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Can I make my mk3 calipers work on my mk1?  (Read 12049 times)

Reply #30September 01, 2012, 12:40:54 am

8v-of-fury

Re: Can I make my mk3 calipers work on my mk1?
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2012, 12:40:54 am »
Rock auto. $25!
Was gonna look at that last night but got side tracked.

Btw didn't you live in redding ,ca a few years ago? I remember a vw guy I talked to there and I swear it was you.

Nope wasn't me! Only been to Florida, and didn't live there lol.

DIGGING THIS BACK UP! I still have not yet done this, and I have the TDI in there.. and I am still on 9.4" solids! OMF. I know what is needed to upgrade the fronts, but now I want to upgrade the rear as well ;)

I have access to more mk3 parts, namely a rear disk setup... Stubs, calipers (new :)), rotors and pads. Can I use mk3 stuff? I have never really paid attention when floating past all the rear disc swaps.. and now I wished I had of.

Reply #31September 01, 2012, 01:20:56 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2012, 01:20:56 am »
imo.. not worth it on a mk1... 200mm rear drum set up from mk3 will add wonders and not require a master/booster swap... along with prop valves...

now to do it "right"

16v rocco prop valves.. nla.. got too else rears lock up 1st... been here on this on my 84...

calipers from 85-87.. 88-99.5 moves where the hand brake cable goes... no idea if rocco will work

16v rocco cables if you paid attention to above on calipers

master, booster, pedals from car with 22mm master, say 16v rocco for most direct fit.. $$$$$$$

the stock master, unless handbrake adjusted to 2-3 clicks will have no pedal... then very very low and takes less pressure to lock them up vs how a 22mm set up does.. how i have my 84... but any snow or good rain in cold.. i slide to stop...

my 84 coupe has 10.1" front set up.. rear disks...

my kubvan has 11" fronts, 200mm rears... stops just as well as the 84... but no pedal issues due to lack of rear disks.. no issues of pre locking up like rear disks do... stock crappy westy master/booster/pedals...

Reply #32September 01, 2012, 04:46:17 am

Henk

• Junior

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 04:46:17 am »
I have access to more mk3 parts, namely a rear disk setup... Stubs, calipers (new :)), rotors and pads. Can I use mk3 stuff? I have never really paid attention when floating past all the rear disc swaps.. and now I wished I had of.

Yes, assuming you US guys have a standard 4 bolt stub on the the MK1s rear
you'd also be best off upgrading to the servo and MC of the MK3 if you can. it only requires cutting the ball end off the servo and putting a thread on (for us, again may be different on the LHD brake setup) but definitely a worthwhile brake upgrade
Fronts can be done with Vauxhall 280mm callipers and shoulder bolts, or G60 callipers with adapters
Mid Engine
Berg Cup
M-TDi
Caddy!

Reply #33September 01, 2012, 09:08:39 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 09:08:39 pm »

Yes, assuming you US guys have a standard 4 bolt stub on the the MK1s rear
you'd also be best off upgrading to the servo and MC of the MK3 if you can. it only requires cutting the ball end off the servo and putting a thread on (for us, again may be different on the LHD brake setup) but definitely a worthwhile brake upgrade
Fronts can be done with Vauxhall 280mm callipers and shoulder bolts, or G60 callipers with adapters

Right, I have the complete 10.1 MK3 fronts already and am looking to get them on as well just need Rocco caliper brackets. One piece at a time now, it is my daily driver after all ;).

I have read of people not needing to upgrade the masters or the prop valve.. quite a few actually.

Reply #34September 01, 2012, 10:26:18 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2012, 10:26:18 pm »
you do not have to beleive me... just saying what ive found on my 82 then into 84 coupe... did it back in 94 pre internet.. so gotta do it all mistakes 1st hand...

fyi.. those g60 adapters for 11" fronts on a mk1 would allow you to use the brackets from the mk3 for 10.1" basically they convert the bolt pattern on the steering knuckle... just make sure to remove all paint/rust where things meet up... else they come loose.. people blame no loctite... i blame too much paint.. works them free... and mine had way too much paint...

Reply #35September 01, 2012, 10:31:13 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2012, 10:31:13 pm »
I will not be needing 11"  :o lol. That's nuuts. I have the 10.1's already, so it is what I will be using.

APPARENTLY from my readings of other personal experience accounts, the lock up and master issue is only when upgrading the rear end only. If you upgrade the front as well, then there is no need to change the prop valve. This is what I gather from my readings. Not saying I don't trust your word, but many others have done it with no swap in parts and no ill effect eh?

From what it seems the mk3 rear stub will bolt right on to my axle and then I can use mk2 golf cables to make it all work. Interesting. It's going for scrap, So I could grab the master as well if I decide to go all out.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:50:51 pm by 8v-of-fury »

Reply #36September 01, 2012, 11:56:09 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2012, 11:56:09 pm »
was saying get g60 adapters to use the 10.1" mk3 parts... the adapter changes the mk1 bolt pattern into a mk2/mk3 bolt pattern.. to attach the caliper carrier..

Reply #37September 02, 2012, 12:02:15 am

8v-of-fury

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2012, 12:02:15 am »
OH! $$?

The rocco brackets are $23 ea. through Rock Auto.

S-PAutomotive.com