S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Scrap the Franken?? FINALLY RUNNING PERFECT! :)  (Read 8004 times)

Reply #15September 30, 2011, 06:35:21 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: Scrap the Franken??
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 06:35:21 pm »
it does smoke on first start up but once its driven, not even 100 yrds. its smoke free. True, it'll fart and studder on first start

Good to get the truth 'straight from the horses mouth' - different story to what others were saying.  ::)

That is exactly the same as mine runs and I'm not prepared to live with it - it looks and sounds awful.

I'm on 2 notch but worried that 1 notch may just get the pistons and valves untited - or is there lots of clearance?
The other problem is that step where 1.6 bore meets the 1.9 chamber and the squish is all wrong - that cant help combustion.

I've hopefully got a spare cold advance cam on the way, I'll re-profile that to give a few degrees more advance over stock

I really don't want to go for a block heater its not convenient - besides it doesn't get cold enough here to even warrant pulling the cold advance on a stock motor
If this wasn't the racing forum, I'd say that the big head on a little body seems like a bodge.
After all I don't think that block heaters were ever an option over here, and us Brits all live so close together, that smoking cars will soon get pulled over by the cops looking for easy work.
A 1.9 head on a 1.6 block drops  compression ratio down to 18.5:1; and that's assuming optimum ring compression.  Too low for perfect IDI startup I think.

Reg why did you not stick to the GTD pump and just turn up the power. I'm sure some of the Euro chaps have nearly 200HP.

I don't think squish squash quench squelch or whatever, applies to the IDI with a swirl chamber. This was CAD-man's favourite topic, but as far as I know all of the research was done on DI petrol engines, with an off cuff remark that it may apply to similarly constructed diesels.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #16September 30, 2011, 08:10:20 pm

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:20 pm »
Reg why did you not stick to the GTD pump and just turn up the power

Do you mean stick to the GTD head?

Ironically I never had a GTD pump at the time, the AAZ one is just fine.

I'm going to try the cold advance mod and if that doesn't work, I'll port the GTD head and return to that.

Reply #17October 01, 2011, 12:09:07 am

Smokey Eddy

• Veteran

• McScrubbins Body Wash
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 12:09:07 am »
if you aren't using the correct thickness gasket for the deck of your block i would never expect any diesel to start in cold winter weather nevermind a reduced compression 1.9/1.6 engine.
before i blew mine up it worked great in the winter. possibly the best it ever did. Took a couple rotations to start but winterized diesel and maybe a spot of conditioner (cetane booster) in the tank and it was great.
Ed
Blacked out mk2 AAZ Jetta RIP. You are missed.
White 1999.5 ALH Golf 2dr. Low & wide. Rammed off the road RIP.
Blue 2009 CR140 Jetta CBEA/CJAA. Malone stage 2. EGR/DPF/Exhaust-valve deletes. 2.5" open exhaust. ADP Turbo swap. 1-stage nitrous kit. THROWN ROD

Reply #18October 01, 2011, 06:15:10 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 06:15:10 am »
Reg why did you not stick to the GTD pump and just turn up the power

Do you mean stick to the GTD head?

Ironically I never had a GTD pump at the time, the AAZ one is just fine.

I'm going to try the cold advance mod and if that doesn't work, I'll port the GTD head and return to that.
Holy cwap, I definitely meant the head; and as from your info, the GTD pump seems uprated to the 1.9 size, and therefore plenty of reserve power, yes the pump too. however the AAZ pump should be fine.

Not that you have many straight roads down your way to get any speed up ;D... I must be getting old.
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

Reply #19October 05, 2011, 04:26:48 pm

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 04:26:48 pm »
Not that you have many straight roads down your way to get any speed up

Straight roads? Any retard can drive fast in a straight line ;)

B road blasting is where the fun is!

Reply #20October 05, 2011, 05:10:59 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 05:10:59 pm »
B-road blasting ftmfw :)

Reply #21October 05, 2011, 06:15:41 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 06:15:41 pm »
Did you use a 1.6 or a 1.9 headgasket? I would think that the 1.9 headgasket would drop your CR a fair bit
Tyler

Reply #22October 05, 2011, 10:50:37 pm

NintendoKD

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
    • myspace page
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 10:50:37 pm »
I am thinking of solving this pesky problem once and for all.  Exhaust is hot, regardless of weather.  I was trying to think of a kind of radiator/interheater to flow a small amount of exhaust gas while the engine is cold and have a choke, either manual or automatic that controls pressure flow.  This will necessitate a fully wrapped exhaust to prevent heat from escaping, as well as our modified heat exchanger.  A box, modified to work inline with the intake will have to be modified to channel the colder air to be heated by the exhaust heat exchanger.  Furthermore, a new type of glow plug is in the works by yours truly with unique properties, and a way to fully heat the combustion chamber regardless of outside temperature.  For the time being, a water heater in the lower portion of the block is very useful as the convection of heat rising through the coolant will assist in heating the components above freezing.  insulating other portions of the motor from heat will indeed keep cold out as well as heat in, inessence keeping the engine as adiabatic as possible.
dnahtasinoivilboeraweb
you know, decarbonated beer is a better coolant than the stuff you buy at the auto store, and is better for you...... really
"If the boost were to rise then the throttle would remain in the wide-open throttle position, which might be fun, but probably not for long"Libbypapa

Reply #23October 06, 2011, 04:22:36 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 04:22:36 am »
I am thinking of solving this pesky problem once and for all.  Exhaust is hot, regardless of weather.  I was trying to think of a kind of radiator/interheater to flow a small amount of exhaust gas while the engine is cold and have a choke, either manual or automatic that controls pressure flow.  This will necessitate a fully wrapped exhaust to prevent heat from escaping, as well as our modified heat exchanger.  A box, modified to work inline with the intake will have to be modified to channel the colder air to be heated by the exhaust heat exchanger.  Furthermore, a new type of glow plug is in the works by yours truly with unique properties, and a way to fully heat the combustion chamber regardless of outside temperature.  For the time being, a water heater in the lower portion of the block is very useful as the convection of heat rising through the coolant will assist in heating the components above freezing.  insulating other portions of the motor from heat will indeed keep cold out as well as heat in, inessence keeping the engine as adiabatic as possible.

Which problem are you curing with your exhaust; the lack of straight roads in SW England, or the  big head on a little body curse? ;D
Mark-The-Miser-UK

Reply #24October 06, 2011, 11:55:20 am

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 11:55:20 am »
I think your solution has missed the point a bit.

The most smoke problem only occurs when the motor is stone cold - in which case, so is the exhaust thus no heat returned.

I'm thinking now that upping the break pressure of the injectors might improve burn on the cold motor?????

if you aren't using the correct thickness gasket for the deck of your block i would never expect any diesel to start in cold winter weather nevermind a reduced compression 1.9/1.6 engine.

Eddy, you've missed the point too, for the sake of repeating myself, the motor starts fine, fires straight up, there is no reluctance to start - in fact it starts much better than most. Starting is not the issue.

The clouds of smoke that occur a fraction of a second after starting are the problem - the cold charge cools the (unpowered) glowplugs and the misfire/smoke starts. maybe I could let the plugs run on for a bit after startup?

or the  big head on a little body curse?

Damn, do you know me? I was one of the shortest kids in my year but had 'an unfeasibly large head' as a friend quipped recently.

Unfortunately for my wife, this trait has been handed down and my 2 boys were born with massive heads too -  one on the 97th percentile, the other on the 98th.

Reply #25October 06, 2011, 02:19:31 pm

Alcaid

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 02:19:31 pm »
Override button to manually control the glowing duration, easy peasy fix :) Don't put on a strangled 1.6 head!
'03 VW Golf PD130 4Motion Highline
'10 VW Passat 1.6TDI Highline
'83 VW Jetta 1.6TD, 11mm pump, H-beam rods, girdle, fully reworked AAZ head +++ Going Compound ;)

Reply #26October 06, 2011, 03:15:50 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 03:15:50 pm »
i would try upping the break pressure.. finer atomized fuel burns easier.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #27October 06, 2011, 03:27:07 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 03:27:07 pm »
I have a big head as well.. But not out of proportions big. I feel for you.. Lol

I think an afterglow system setup with some of the Bosch Duraterm glowplugs will be the ticket. They are left on for up to 3 minutes in the aaz motors on the coldest of mornings. I once had my manual gp controller fail and leave the plugs on for well over a half hour (Duraterms) and they still to this day (1.5 years ago) start the car just fine.

I commonly leave them on for an extra 30 seconds on these last few cold mornings just to aid in warmup.

Reply #28October 06, 2011, 05:31:19 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2011, 05:31:19 pm »
an electronics guy like reg should easily be able to create a oem like solution, this is assuming that leaving the glow plugs on longer fixes the problem.

the smokey starts would not bother me, but understand it can be embarassing.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 05:41:09 pm by Trev0rbr »
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #29October 06, 2011, 05:51:49 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2011, 05:51:49 pm »
Aren't smokey, belching exhaust pipes on our cars our badge of honor?  Mine no smoke unless I retard it a bunch.  Then it is gag city.  But I can't take the smell that thick so I make it run like he would like he wishes his would.

S-PAutomotive.com