Author Topic: Why won't my tdi-m work?  (Read 4145 times)

September 04, 2011, 01:15:15 pm

ienjoysnails

Why won't my tdi-m work?
« on: September 04, 2011, 01:15:15 pm »
Having some issues getting my tdi running with this mechanical pump i bought off a reputable builder on here.  I'm not much of an expert i admit but i should have everything in order for this thing to run, except for the fact the pump doesn't seem to have enough ooomf to open the injectors.  they just won't spray fuel out!  i've had the injectors tested and they are good.  they even have new nozzles.  i've primed the pump and its dribbling out of the injector lines. the other annoying thing is i can't get the pump to time properly.  i've timed 1.6s using the vincent waldon method with my gauge, but doing the same method with this pump doesn't work.  when you get to the step of turning the motor counterclockwise until the gauge is suppose to stop spinning  it just keeps spinning.  ??  everything else is timed properly and i've tried advancing and retarding the pump across its range and it still wouldn't spit fuel out of the injectors.  i'm not trying to call the guy out on here and i'm not gonna disclose who it is but they've built a bunch of working pumps.  it probably is something i'm doing wrong.  i just seem to have everything right.  any ideas anybody?

fiat idi pump with supposed di internals
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 07:57:10 pm by ienjoysnails »

Reply #1September 04, 2011, 01:18:26 pm

ienjoysnails

Re: Why won't my tdi-m work?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 01:18:26 pm »
one other question.  there is two vacuum hoses coming off the outlet mani around the turbo, then there is a nipple on the air intake pipe, and two nipples on the inlet manifold.  then to complicate things there is a nipple on the aneroid for the injector pump.  what goes where? 

Reply #2September 04, 2011, 07:57:45 pm

ienjoysnails

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 07:57:45 pm »
update.  got injectors to spray a bit. not much and it wouldn't start still

Reply #3September 04, 2011, 10:25:05 pm

hustonr123

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:25:05 pm »
turn the fuel screw up some that may help. I am guessing you didnt adjust the splines on the trottle shaft? Notsaying to try that but if you have moved it that could be your problem.

Reply #4September 05, 2011, 07:54:38 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:54:38 pm »
that arm, on the throttle shaft, that is goofy looking.. its not a VW piece i dont think. and i dont think your throttle cable will hook up right..

are you POSITIVE that this pump is good, and came from someone who actually KNOWS WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5September 05, 2011, 08:40:15 pm

ienjoysnails

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 08:40:15 pm »
messed with it again today and no luck. tried fuel screw, tried giving throttle, tried timing again. a reputable vendor of this site built the pump.  its a fiat idi pump with di internals.  i'm not attempting to disassemble anything myself, i wouldn't even know what to look for anyway.  the throttle cable will work with a little shortening of the cable itself.  might be having someone look at pump soon.  also might be getting a rover pump.  if the pump is a dud hopefully i can get some money back.

Reply #6September 05, 2011, 09:26:54 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:26:54 pm »
That is an AAZ throttle arm that is missing the top pieces. That ball is for the silly dampener.

http://www.abmeb.com/pics/bus/pump.jpg
Ignore the red circle.

Are you sure you have full, good 12v power to the stop solenoid when cranking? TDI pumps don't need the stop solenoid to turn off and in some instances, the stop solenoid actually can't completely stop fuel delivery and the vehicle will idle really low. I would run 12v straight from the battery to the stop solenoid. I might even go so far as to remove it and take out the guts so it can't possibly be an issue (very easy to do) but you will need to stall the vehicle to stop it.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:28:40 pm by burn_your_money »
Tyler

Fixmyvw.com