Author Topic: 82 1.6 dsl Power Brake Booster Upgrade  (Read 6311 times)

Reply #15October 09, 2011, 07:24:13 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
Re: 82 1.6 dsl Power Brake Booster Upgrade
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 07:24:13 pm »
no..

its the same one as what came on base model golfs and jettas. 20mm, maybe even 19mm piston.

the master cylinders that had 2 ports, instead of 4 ports were the easiest to get upgrades for.. my 85 GTI had the 2 port MC, and i upgraded it to a mk3 21mm MC.. but my 86 Golf, it has a 4 port MC, with separate prop valves screwed into it..

the 4 port unit w/ prop valves WILL WORK with disk brakes tho. i have that particular setup. i favor the 2 port MC's better tho. less brake line clutter up around the MC.

Not necessarily. If the 87 rocco is a 16v with rear disc, it is a 22mm MC. It is also labeled on the side of the MC. All Scirocco MCs have 4 ports. Even the MKI Sciroccos.

ROR, your post is kind of confusing..

Reply #16October 09, 2011, 08:20:43 pm

somolovitch3

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 08:20:43 pm »
Ummmmm..................... Still a bit lost............................. The MC in my truck has 4 lines, out the sides, not in a "V" shape. Can one bend the lines to line up with the "V" MC without damaging anything?  I figured to remove the valves at the MC untill/if I go to disk rears.

Thanks to you all for your time and effert.
Byte Me, Gently
If Ignorance is Bliss, You MUST be Orgasmic!
81 Caddy (Trk)
84 Gti (DumBunny)

Reply #17October 09, 2011, 09:04:39 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 09:04:39 pm »
You can certainly bend the lines. You reference that you have valves on the MC though. In the US, rabbit trucks (excluding 1980 models) have one prop valve and it is mounted on the firewall below the MC/booster. Maybe post a pic of what you have if this is still confusing so we can clarify..

Reply #18October 09, 2011, 09:34:41 pm

somolovitch3

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 09:34:41 pm »
The '87 Rocco has the P valves on the MC. The truck has the four lines going into the MC.

I am trying to find out if the '87 Rocco's MC will work....I think I wil get the booster unit as well, yes?
Byte Me, Gently
81 Caddy (Trk)
84 Gti (DumBunny)

Reply #19October 10, 2011, 12:43:10 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 12:43:10 pm »
the 87 rocco is a mk2 style..

your caddy is mk1..

idk if the parts are a direct swap. i know the rabbit/mk1 MC is different than my mk2 cars. the lines come out the bottom and side, instead of in a V pattern..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #20October 12, 2011, 09:32:20 pm

somolovitch3

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 09:32:20 pm »
Yep, current MC has lines at the bottom and fore and aft on the sides.

The Rocco has four lines (P valves front one side, rear other) and the lines enter at about a 45* angle from the top ( "V" shaped).

I guess I can bend the lines some, or make up new lines or add a little to make it work.

Thanks for all the help!
Byte Me, Gently
81 Caddy (Trk)
84 Gti (DumBunny)

Reply #21November 13, 2011, 10:54:33 am

GEE-BEE

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    1981 with South African front end ,42 k original
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 10:54:33 am »
use later mkii s/s hard lines like I did from MK1autohaus

I did the 22mm master and new booster with a mkii pedal swap
with new scirocco 16 rear prop valves mounted to the master cylinder

dont for get the mkii brake switch

all my lines are s/s front and rear

GB
1.9 AAZ, CHD 5spd with Peloquin
KO4/KO3 Hybrid turbo
Giles Pump OHC
Complete Techtonics 2'5 S/S DP and Exhaust
Coilovers, MKII Pedal Swap,G60 BRAKES
MK1 JETTA DASH
675MM 16V radiator (MKII) PASSAT DUAL FAN
42K original miles , South African Front End
15x6 Le Casletts 195-45-15

Reply #22November 22, 2011, 12:44:10 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 12:44:10 pm »
Jumping in a bit late...............................

'87 Rocco with the "V" looking MC w/4 ports and the proportioning valves screwed into it? 

Is this a 22mm bore?

no..

its the same one as what came on base model golfs and jettas. 20mm, maybe even 19mm piston.

the master cylinders that had 2 ports, instead of 4 ports were the easiest to get upgrades for.. my 85 GTI had the 2 port MC, and i upgraded it to a mk3 21mm MC.. but my 86 Golf, it has a 4 port MC, with separate prop valves screwed into it..

the 4 port unit w/ prop valves WILL WORK with disk brakes tho. i have that particular setup. i favor the 2 port MC's better tho. less brake line clutter up around the MC.

So what you're saying, is that you can just take the rear axle out of a disc brake GTI mk2, throw it in a drum brake car, disregard that weird load-sensing prop. valve thing and just hook up the existing lines and use the stock master cylinder with the 2 "shotgun shell" proportioning valves in place? Because that's exactly what I intend to do... I thought the proportioning valves would give me trouble though.

Should I just find a mk3 4 port, non-abs master cylinder and use that, with the same proportioning valves?

Reply #23November 26, 2011, 07:25:13 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 07:25:13 pm »
Jumping in a bit late...............................

'87 Rocco with the "V" looking MC w/4 ports and the proportioning valves screwed into it? 

Is this a 22mm bore?

no..

So what you're saying, is that you can just take the rear axle out of a disc brake GTI mk2, throw it in a drum brake car, disregard that weird load-sensing prop. valve thing and just hook up the existing lines and use the stock master cylinder with the 2 "shotgun shell" proportioning valves in place? Because that's exactly what I intend to do... I thought the proportioning valves would give me trouble though.

Should I just find a mk3 4 port, non-abs master cylinder and use that, with the same proportioning valves?

im saying that i took an 86 golf, with the V m/c w/ 4 lines coming out, and i fitted a rear beam out of a 92 GTI/GLI in my 86 with no other mods. honestly, i like the way the disks perform with the drum prop valves on the m/c..

i un-bolted the load sensing prop valve off the beam, and saved it. just hooked the disk brake beam up to the existing lines. my brake lines do NOT have accomodations in the rear for the load sensing prop valve, so i never used it. the brakes are NOT biased too much either, there actually set about perfect for my tastes.

again..

86 US built Golf
stock 86 golf m/c w/ shotgun shell prop valves
stock brake lines
92 GLI rear beam w/ disks and integrated sway bar

works like a dream.

oh, i had to use 85 GTI e-brake cables tho, because the later 92 cables hook up WAY DIFFERENT. late model cables are about 6" too short..

THE GTI/GLI AXLE BEAMS ARE 1.25" longer than the normal units.. the GTI/GLI setup will lengthen the wheelbase of your car to match that of a GTI/GLI..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

S-PAutomotive.com