Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Air cleaner suggestions wanted  (Read 4090 times)

Reply #15August 11, 2011, 03:11:02 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Air cleaner suggestions wanted
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 03:11:02 pm »
I know size doesn't have to be that large air cleaner wise, a N/A only pulls about 220 CFM (roughly 96 ci @4000 revs).  What does a turbo pull in at say 15 psi?  Double that?

atleast double.. because at 14.7 psi, its 2x atmosphere pressure.. so at 15 psi (we will round up from 14.7) your engine is inhaling double its original displacement. so i would say its atleast 440 cfm, if not more.. i would say that those of us with improved intake and exhaust systems can do better than the base line of 220 cfm @ 4000..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16August 16, 2011, 02:58:15 pm

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 02:58:15 pm »
You can use this site to determine how many CFM you are going to be pulling at a given RPM / pressure:

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/glossary/turbo_calc.shtml
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #17August 16, 2011, 05:20:47 pm

regcheeseman

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 05:20:47 pm »
How about a carbon cold air feed?

You can see mine hiding under the intercooler pipe. The duct runs to the grille to get some nice cold air instead of sucking hot air in the engine bay.

Reply #18August 17, 2011, 10:17:54 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 10:17:54 am »
How about a carbon cold air feed?

You can see mine hiding under the intercooler pipe. The duct runs to the grille to get some nice cold air instead of sucking hot air in the engine bay.

my setup is down low, right above the bottom lip of the fender.. tubing runs beside the frame horn. my engine aint getting no hot air..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #19August 17, 2011, 10:50:36 am

nathan_b

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 10:50:36 am »
Ive had a cone filter, swiss cheezed airbox, and "cold air intake" on my hot rodded frankenmotor, and didn't notice a difference in egts or performance. On a turbo motor I think the exhaust is much more important than the intake.
81 caddy frankentd 02a, 99.9 tdi jetta, 00 golf

Reply #20August 17, 2011, 10:52:26 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 10:52:26 am »
 I lost 100F during cruise with a stock airbox and K&N filter over my cone filter setup. Under my hood is pretty hot and that cone sucked it all up. The stock box protects a bit better.

FWIW the cone I thought flowed better and I really want to do a setup like Regcheeseman someday. I thought of that before seeing his but haven't had a good way to do it yet.

Reply #21August 17, 2011, 11:07:54 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 11:07:54 am »
I lost 100F during cruise with a stock airbox and K&N filter over my cone filter setup. Under my hood is pretty hot and that cone sucked it all up. The stock box protects a bit better.

FWIW the cone I thought flowed better and I really want to do a setup like Regcheeseman someday. I thought of that before seeing his but haven't had a good way to do it yet.

take one of those mini beer kegs, install filter in there.. then run cold air to it..

LOL..

jokes aside..

i think the K&N panel flows just as good as a cone..

a modified digifant air box may yield even better results, as they have more surface area on the filter..

Reply #22August 17, 2011, 11:59:13 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 11:59:13 am »

i went with a custom intake on my TD.. the air filter is tucked in the inner fender well, right next to the water pump pulley. has a pod filter located low. if you lean down and look, you can see about half of the filter laying on its side down there..

im sure it sucks water, but i live in oregon, and i never had an issue with it..

With an intake that low, are you not worried of hydro locking the engine going through a puddle?

Reply #23August 17, 2011, 12:14:22 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 12:14:22 pm »

i went with a custom intake on my TD.. the air filter is tucked in the inner fender well, right next to the water pump pulley. has a pod filter located low. if you lean down and look, you can see about half of the filter laying on its side down there..

im sure it sucks water, but i live in oregon, and i never had an issue with it..

With an intake that low, are you not worried of hydro locking the engine going through a puddle?

no, not worried at all.. i never drive my car in water that deep. the water would have to be pretty deep to get any at the filter.

as for it sucking up rain water, i ran it all of last winter, and it never hurt the engine.

a little splash from the puddle will barely make it to the engine in the form of water, more like a mist.. think about it, the air filter atomizes it, then the compressor wheel chops it up, and atomizes it more, then the intercooler probably atomizes it some more yet, then the engine inhales it..

it takes a direct dose of about 12cc of water to hydrolock our engines..

basically, you would have to have your air intake almost completely submerged, if not completely submerged for it to do that.

Reply #24August 17, 2011, 03:04:36 pm

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 03:04:36 pm »
How low is your intake? You said power steering pump and that's about what 8" off the ground? That's too low for comfort for me. I know someone with a TDI Jetta who recently hydrolocked his engine going though a deep puddle into a parking lot of a supermarket during a rain storm. Per his description it happened really fast, engine just stopped and won't restart, no noise. Bent 2 rods. His instake is stock so must be quite a bit higher than yours.

no, not worried at all.. i never drive my car in water that deep. the water would have to be pretty deep to get any at the filter.

as for it sucking up rain water, i ran it all of last winter, and it never hurt the engine.

a little splash from the puddle will barely make it to the engine in the form of water, more like a mist.. think about it, the air filter atomizes it, then the compressor wheel chops it up, and atomizes it more, then the intercooler probably atomizes it some more yet, then the engine inhales it..

it takes a direct dose of about 12cc of water to hydrolock our engines..

basically, you would have to have your air intake almost completely submerged, if not completely submerged for it to do that.

Reply #25August 17, 2011, 03:10:00 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 03:10:00 pm »
i said the air filter is right beside my water pump pulley. literally.. like it almost touches.

if you are standing at the front passenger side of the car, standing back like 10-15 feet, you can see a corner of the air filter sticking down out of the fender well.

car is a mk1 rabbit. no power steering. would take a picture of it, but camera is dead.

that must have been ONE HELL of a mud puddle, and he must have been rippin thru it, to have the engine suck enough water to bend 2 rods..

i live in OREGON. on the COAST. its like, the wettest place on the planet.. ive had no water issues. and yes, my filter does get wet, my engine does inhale water. my air filter drips for minutes after a drive when its pouring rain..

Fixmyvw.com