S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Help Changing coolant  (Read 2174 times)

August 06, 2011, 12:15:31 pm

bctim

Help Changing coolant
« on: August 06, 2011, 12:15:31 pm »
I have a 1987 Jetta Turbo diesel and want to change the coolant.  I can't seem to find "step-by-step" instructions to do that myself.  Can any one help with providing a link?  Also, how often should the coolant be changed out and is using just a standard mix adequate?
Thanks
Tim

Reply #1August 06, 2011, 12:43:13 pm

madmedix

• Junior

Re: Help Changing coolant
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 12:43:13 pm »
I use 70/30 coolant/distilled water over here for a 'standard mix' b/c this car gets to the far north every so often...and I change it every 2 years. I don't think anyone would like my how-to; it involves an air compressor ;D but I have serious back problems so I have to improvise. Basically drain the rad (lower hose); overflow container..and here's where I do something quick. I use bungs picked up at a beer brewing place that fits the block and pump about 10 psi through it (I connect a collapsible water container to the lower hose to catch it all. It's a 5 gal. thing). Flush with clean water and 'push' it out again. Then reconnect the lower hose, overflow, and fill 'er up. You could reconnect all hoses and refill through the overflow if you have all day.
I 'burp' her by lifting up the front end (air powered jack at Princess. ohhhh baby) and leave the overflow cap off overnight. When I take it out for a spin; turn on the heater and warm her up. Watching the guage; I come home and let her cool right down then top her up if needed.

Andy
'90 TD Jetta

Reply #2August 06, 2011, 01:21:38 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 01:21:38 pm »
do yourself a favor, and snag a thermostat housing off an older mk1 car, there solid aluminum. you can drill it and tap threads for 1/8" pipe, and screw a plug in there..

all my cars have this mod, and its a real time saver. take out the plug, and screw in a 1" chunk of tubing and it drains cleanly into your bucket..

now that you have the coolant out, replacing it should be easy..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #3August 06, 2011, 02:06:58 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 02:06:58 pm »
However you go about it, the important thing is to make sure that you get the air out

Reply #4August 06, 2011, 02:32:40 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 02:32:40 pm »
However you go about it, the important thing is to make sure that you get the air out

its hard to get air trapped.. the only easy way to do it, is to have a clogged return line from the radiator, to the exp tank..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

S-PAutomotive.com