S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Additives  (Read 14298 times)

Reply #15August 07, 2011, 12:18:55 pm

Powjetta

• Junior

• Personal Text
    San Diego CA
Re: Additives
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2011, 12:18:55 pm »
Now I see the details in the fuel mileage thread in troubleshooting - thanks.
'86 jetta 2 dr Turbo diesel K24 - sold
'94 GMC 6.56TD - sold

Reply #16August 07, 2011, 02:37:11 pm

Vanagoner

• Junior

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 02:37:11 pm »
re: the topic,  I run seafoam sometimes, and power service in the winter.  Best additive ever has been Schaffer's EP molybdenum treatment.  Awesome stuff.  Pretty much a one-time deal to treat.  Raised my mpg by 1 or 2, and saved my bacon on a couple of occasions with no oil pressure (air pump seized once and stopped the oil pump).  No damage.
re: Wax,  I have a friend that wants to get rid of some kerosene.  I know it is too "dry" to run by itself,  would it work to dissolve wax in there to make it right?  Does the wax ever separtate out of the fuel?   I'm going to park it over the winter.
Thanks
Sage
'82  Vanagon Westy, the mighty N/A

Reply #17August 07, 2011, 03:26:10 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2011, 03:26:10 pm »
So the Schaffer stuff is crankcase oil treatment?  I think my engine is so loose inside it needs new rings.  Then maybe something to reduce that friction. 

According to the late Hagar, if you happened to wax your fuel and the temps went down then you could be saved by adding some kerosene.  So I think you could get away with the mix.  If you park it over the winter then plan ahead.  Burn out the waxy fuel and refill with straight diesel and perhaps some of the other additives that are geared to stabilize fuel.  Not sure what products are out there for that, I can't let my VW rest until I park it for the few days I work and use the mass transit. 

So yeah, wax up the kerosene double or triple, 4-6 oz in the 10 gallon tank.  Shoot Hagar would have you dropping a full pound in there just so you could see the result.  But he was a little extreme at times.

Reply #18August 07, 2011, 06:33:44 pm

stanton.samuel

• User+

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 06:33:44 pm »
i'm new to this, but won't all the different additives change the flash point and essentially either retard or advance your timing?  I'm running B99 cause its readily available and about 50-70 cents a gallon cheaper here in rhode island than diesel from the pump (no road tax on B99 here if the source oil is local), but i was just thinking the wax could be retarding timing and eliminating the "diesel knock" noise rather than lubing away the noise,  my engine is super f-ing loud i wish i could make it quiet with a bit of paraffin. maybe i should try putting my muffler back on first though :)
82 vanagon w/ original 1.6 na diesel

Reply #19August 07, 2011, 06:45:19 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 06:45:19 pm »
I put 1/4 pound of wax per tank.
My diesel does not have the diesel noise at all, once warm

Reply #20August 07, 2011, 09:34:38 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 09:34:38 pm »
i'm new to this, but won't all the different additives change the flash point and essentially either retard or advance your timing?  I'm running B99 cause its readily available and about 50-70 cents a gallon cheaper here in rhode island than diesel from the pump (no road tax on B99 here if the source oil is local), but i was just thinking the wax could be retarding timing and eliminating the "diesel knock" noise rather than lubing away the noise,  my engine is super f-ing loud i wish i could make it quiet with a bit of paraffin. maybe i should try putting my muffler back on first though :)

wax changes the timing values because of viscosity (thickness) of the fuel.

thicker fuel builds more pressure in the fuel pump..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #21August 07, 2011, 09:46:50 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 09:46:50 pm »

wax changes the timing values because of viscosity (thickness) of the fuel.

thicker fuel builds more pressure in the fuel pump..
Don't forget it also reduces friction...
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #22August 07, 2011, 11:00:17 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 11:00:17 pm »
Stanton. S.  You say you are running Biodiesel.  That is just diesel from a different oil.  Still skinny and I would say yes to adding paraffin to it.  The fuel is in need of making it thick to be able to build pressure.  As R.O.R says, thick fuel changes timing, wax makes it thick.  Simple as apple pie. 

If you are an Oregonian what the heck are you doing in RI buying cheap fuel, come back home and pay 4.20 a gallon like the rest of us.

Actually I found a place here in Portland doing 3.71/gal   So I "filled it"  6.4 gallons.  Whhooopppppeeee.

Reply #23August 08, 2011, 12:04:40 pm

silentdub

• Junior

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 12:04:40 pm »
At every fill up, I add 3 ounces of Acetone to every 10 gal of fuel, Diesel or petro, doesn't matter.

It helps the fuel to atomize better, especially petrol with Ethanol in it.

I can see anywhere from 25 to 50 miles per tank more.

Reply #24August 08, 2011, 03:13:27 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 03:13:27 pm »
The only experience I have with Acetone is cleaning the water off chemistry equipment in Organic Chem Lab.  It sure was cold to the touch and I think EPA now calls it a carcinigen.  Along with our gasser friends benzene.

Flash point anyone?  Time to go find an MSDS.

Reply #25August 08, 2011, 03:18:41 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 03:18:41 pm »
At every fill up, I add 3 ounces of Acetone to every 10 gal of fuel, Diesel or petro, doesn't matter.

Now that's interesting... Won't that promote wear in the  injection pump? Would injecting into the intake be more beneficial?

Diesels are funny things really, because they never  seem to suffer from incomplete combustion, unless flooring it, hence no CO poisoning.
Thinking about your figures, then that 3 oz  is like 5 to 10% improvement, or like another gallon of fuel at the old economy rate.

Finding the secret tuning spot for a particular engine gives dramatic improvement.

Remember,  because this is a swirl chamber, degree of atomization is not crucial, as the droplets are torn apart by the 'wind.'
 My top mpg's are with second user injectors set to 135bar. However I'm not saying that I couldn't get better with new 155bar, but I've not managed so far :'(
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #26August 08, 2011, 09:21:45 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 09:21:45 pm »
I recently had all my injectors rebuilt and they are the 135 ones.  I thought about asking for them to pop at a lower value but couldn't decide on 130 or 127 so I just figure as they get old they would pop different.

50 MPG American.

Reply #27August 09, 2011, 08:50:17 am

dts67

• Junior

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2011, 08:50:17 am »
Only fuel additive Ive ever actually seen/heard a difference with is 2 stroke oil.

Reply #28August 09, 2011, 11:54:47 am

silentdub

• Junior

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 11:54:47 am »

Now that's interesting... Won't that promote wear in the  injection pump? Would injecting into the intake be more beneficial?

[/quote]

I'm not really sure, we are talking about 3 ounces mixed with 10 gallons, most of it will evaporate almost immediately, but the bi product is making the fuel a little less unstable so it fans out better. I did see a difference, I have 217K miles on my daily and my commute to work, I was getting 4.5 days from a tank, I can now get a full 5 days, after several runs, I can get 25-50 more miles per tank.

This is especially accurate in Gassers as the ethanol added actually makes atomization worse, this basically reverses that problem and still help a little above and beyond that.

Reply #29August 09, 2011, 02:25:26 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2011, 02:25:26 pm »

I'm not really sure, we are talking about 3 ounces mixed with 10 gallons, most of it will evaporate almost immediately, but the bi product is making the fuel a little less unstable so it fans out better. I did see a difference, I have 217K miles on my daily and my commute to work, I was getting 4.5 days from a tank, I can now get a full 5 days, after several runs, I can get 25-50 more miles per tank.

This is especially accurate in Gassers as the ethanol added actually makes atomization worse, this basically reverses that problem and still help a little above and beyond that.

[/quote]

the problem with ethanol, is that it needs about a 9:1 air fuel ratio.. we run about 14.7 on most gassers, or try to..

that ethanol just makes it go lean..

gas jetting does NOT work with ethanol..

ehtanol is JUNK, why would they put it in our gasoline? just to collect water and cause headaches?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com