S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: solar panels  (Read 5462 times)

Reply #15August 02, 2011, 12:24:40 pm

clbanman

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Cambridge, Ontario
Re: solar panels
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 12:24:40 pm »
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/Green/EnergyConservation/RenewableEnergy/PRD~0111894P/Blue%252BPlanet%252B1W%252BSolar%252BPanel.jsp?locale=en

I've got a couple that I bought on sale.   Didn't keep any batteries charged on the cars I tried them on when parked over the winter (yes, outside).   I did keep the windshields cleared, still didn't work.   Also note that the documentation that comes with them says you must not have them plugged in when the vehicle is running, so I doubt that there are any diodes in them.
Calvin
91 VW Golf 1.6NA 5spd

Reply #16August 03, 2011, 09:24:33 pm

madmedix

• Junior

Re: solar panels
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 09:24:33 pm »
Absolutely right, don't know why I types amps, it should be watts. That isn't the charger on the link BTW; close but not quite; the one I have contains an amorphous solar cell. That's most likely a polycrystalline cheapo which is the k-car of solar cells. It was made by Sun Force (bought it ~2004). Dunno about the "blue planet" stuff. Seems to be a lot of new "green" companies sprouting up. Amorphous cells suddenly became expensive when someone figured out they can maintain their output at high and low temperatures...and that's what you find in the new flexible "solar" roof shingles.
As for no diodes, no one in their right mind would market that kind of fire hazard....then again you can buy the duracell brand AA batteries at the dollar store now...the ones with the pink energizer bunny on the packaging  :D   More likely, it's a tiny surface-mount "bead" diode from our favourite off-shore counterfeiter that wouldn't last long under a constant push from an alternator. I've had mine apart to mount it without the bottom plastic and its diode is a good old-fashioned zener and resistor package.

Andy
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 09:30:32 pm by madmedix »
'90 TD Jetta

S-PAutomotive.com