Author Topic: TDI swap, not sure which IP to use.  (Read 4249 times)

July 11, 2011, 07:25:31 pm

mullenba

TDI swap, not sure which IP to use.
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »
I'm doing a TDI swap into a Vanagon, and I'm not sure how to handle the Injection Pump.  I want to go mTDI and I have a ALH engine already.

I have an older injection pump, marked 068 130 110N which has an LDA and so appears to be a turbo injection pump, and also the stock pump which came with the engine.  Can I use the old pump, or do I need to combine them into a hybrid?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:11:33 pm by mullenba »

Reply #1July 11, 2011, 09:15:31 pm

mullenba

Re: TDI swap, not sure which IP to use.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:15:31 pm »
Guess I'll reply to my own post...  It looks like my older pump is likely from an ecodiesel or something.  I may be in trouble to come up with a working solution.  I may have to ebay them both and look for a 4bt pump or something.

Reply #2July 11, 2011, 09:50:55 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:50:55 pm »
I have just read up on this particular idea, the M-TDI that is.

The older (i'm guessing 1.6 TD??) pump will not be a direct swap.. unfortunately. ALSO I did not read the swap on to ALH's.. I read about AHU's.. but the aaz pump seems the best for them.

Reply #3July 11, 2011, 10:14:01 pm

rallydiesel

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:14:01 pm »
You can put an AAZ pump on the ALH engine and get it to run but it will run at a fraction of the stock performance. Basically, it will be a slug. The pump needs to be modified extensively to get an mtdi that runs at stock levels.
2006 Jetta TDI - gtb1749v, Malone 2, Frank's Titan 2 cam, VR6 clutch....
1991 Jetta TD - sold :(
2001 Golf TDI - Son's
1981 Rabbit - BEW tdi swap project

"ONCE YOU GO CLACK, YOU NEVER GO BACK"

Reply #4July 11, 2011, 10:50:49 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 10:50:49 pm »
You can put an AAZ pump on the ALH engine and get it to run but it will run at a fraction of the stock performance. Basically, it will be a slug. The pump needs to be modified extensively to get an mtdi that runs at stock levels.

THIS! ^^

Reply #5July 11, 2011, 11:09:24 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:09:24 pm »
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=27107.0

that would be a direct bolt on to a alh... 200-300 from uk ebay...

Reply #6July 12, 2011, 07:57:57 am

mullenba

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 07:57:57 am »
http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=27107.0

that would be a direct bolt on to a alh... 200-300 from uk ebay...

Looks like you're right.  Time to list my pumps.  Thanks!

Edit:  Are there certain models/years I should be looking for?  Are they all mechanical, or did they go electronic at some point?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:19:18 am by mullenba »

Reply #7July 12, 2011, 11:33:14 am

CRSMP5

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 11:33:14 am »
i listed my part number of the defender pump i used in that thread..

i hear 200, 250 and 300 work.. there is good info on this forum on the topic..

i have a few PM's where i talked to people who did this.. so let me see..

Quote from: oldskool rich
i surgest you do a gov mod to start with as the disco pump only revs to like 4.5k
on a 1Z the woodruff key needs to piont towards the cam at TDC, on a 1Z the pump sits almost upright, ALH its almost on its side, so i would think the key should be pointing at the sky, then use a depth gauge to get it spot on, cant remember what we timed it to now, think it was half way detween stock disco timing and stock 1Z timing, have a play you will find a sweet spot, use the biggest nozzles you can get the pump is gona give you more than enough fuel, just need big enough injectors to get it all out

hope that helps, sorry i cant be more exact, i didnt write anything down and cant remember it was ages ago, if its anywhere will be in one of my threads, might be worth a look

cheers, rich

its actualy a 300 tdi pump that we use, we just call it a disco pump
we ran ours with AAZ cam and T3 turbo, ran about 240bhp, was unbelievably fast, eventualy blew it up beeting a skyline
dropped a valve as it reved to about 6k and had too much lift that it was touching pistons. we are now rebuilding it with PD bottom end and ALH head. its pretty amazing, we are hoping to get 300bhp reliably, will see how it goes

good luck

think it was 240 nozzles, AAZ cam, garrett T3 off an early 1.6 TD with 2.5"down pipe and no exhaust, disco pump wasnt even maxed out, if the nozzles and turbo wer bigger we could of achieved more
ur little turbo will hold you back, ull have no lag but wont flow much air and your EGTs will be through the roof, if i wer you id go bigger turbo and down pipe or ur pissing in the wind, get a little holset turbo, that should kick *** and last forever. this link might help for sum stuff

http://www.volkswaparts.com/

rich

i am at the moment still using the little stock tdi turbo off my AHU... if your going to use the ALH vnt set up the defender pump i got came with a pot/throttle position sensor to wire up a way to control vnt..

my EGTs have been real tame.. using 2.5" straight pipe for exhaust.. i used 4 washers for the gov mod.. my so far still happy pump timming is 118mm and have not played with the mixture screw.. no soot cloud.. good milage.. great performance..

as far a years.. no idea.. photos work.. throttle linkage.. tdi.. just rember they did not sell them in this continent.. so ebay uk seems a good place to start.. and as always.. expect it to be a CORE where you never know 100% that it does not need a rebuild.. and at that point.. giles.. 1k.. and well super pump you got..

but i admit.. i got lucky and mine worked.. so try it.. see and then you will know.. will you have lost money.. no.. will it cost more then having a m pump built.. id say labor factor same.. having to come up with both a mech and tdi pump to convert.. well thats where things get go up in price.. thinking giles wants 1500ish to build m pumps with parts you supply... 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:42:31 am by CRSMP5 »

Reply #8July 14, 2011, 10:28:24 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 10:28:24 pm »
thinking giles wants 1500ish to build m pumps with parts you supply... 

$1,400 CDN

Reply #9July 18, 2011, 04:30:01 am

svenakela

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 04:30:01 am »

They actually perform quite well with the AAZ-pump.
http://switchamotor.blogspot.com/2011/04/q-is-it-possible-to-run-tdi-with-aaz.html