Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Giles' "Performance" Injection Pump Review  (Read 14522 times)

January 26, 2006, 04:37:07 pm

2mAn

Giles' "Performance" Injection Pump Review
« on: January 26, 2006, 04:37:07 pm »
due to popular demand, here it is.......

for those who dont know i got a "performance" injection pump built by Giles of Superior Fuel Injection in Canada [(905)475-1222]. the performance rebuild costs about $100 more than a standard rebuild. VERY much worth the money IMO. i drive a 1984 jetta coupe with a 1.6L NA diesel engine that came stock with 52bhp. Giles used a gtech dyno to do a before and after and he claims it adds ~20hp, and i can say for sure that you will notice the difference. im hoping to have the car dyno'd soon and i will post that as soon as ive done it.

ive put nearly 1000k miles since ive had the pump installed and im very happy to report that it hasnt had any negative effect on fuel economy (as long as the right foot stays light). actually before i got the pump done, i was leaking diesel so my miles per tank has gone back up to ~400 miles per tank.  :shock: (thats ~40mpg)
before the rebuilt pump i was like most NA diesel drivers, ie: stuck in the slow lane. nowadays im driving with my speedo maxed out at 85mph passing cars. when was the last time you passed someone on the highway in your NA diesel  :lol:

the 70hp beast

another happy Superior Fuel Injection customer right here  :wink:

however this isnt the end of this story. i will be modifying my NA diesel more, with a better breathing intake manifold and replacing the toilet bowl exhaust manifold with a dual downpipe unit to a slightly larger exhaust. if i can get this thing anywhere near 100bhp i will be extremely happy

Reply #1January 26, 2006, 06:08:13 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 06:08:13 pm »
that's a nice looking unit!  don't forget about a lightened flywheel and close ratio tranny w/overdrive fifth! 70 horses is almost the same as the old 1.7L gassers.  Soon, you'll have to send that pump in for a TD's LDA, referenced to the pressure downstream of your nitrous solenoid. a little sniff of N2O makes the ricers disappear.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2January 26, 2006, 06:37:30 pm

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:37:30 pm »
Quote from: "Dr. Diesel"
Soon, you'll have to send that pump in for a TD's LDA, referenced to the pressure downstream of your nitrous solenoid. a little sniff of N2O makes the ricers disappear.

Just out of curiousity, where did you hear that from? I was talking to Giles about it over the Christmas holiday :)

If the new home I move to this year will have a garage, I'm planning on picking up a MK1 Rabbit and restore everything (used to have a German '79 and '80 GTI). Thinking of a 1.6L block w/ 1.9L head ported & modded by Passenger Performance. Fuel pump with LDA connected to the nitrous system after the solenoid, with a pressure regulator + gauge in between. I intend to do most of the engine build myself as I'm interested in learning.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #3January 26, 2006, 06:42:52 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 06:42:52 pm »
from the little devil floating over my right shoulder about three years ago. turns out, he was right! :twisted:

makes the odd rear drive "musclecar" disappear too.

Reply #4January 28, 2006, 01:04:36 pm

Northboundtrain

• Junior

• http://boulderbiodiesel.com
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 01:04:36 pm »
What does Giles charge for one of his rebuilt pumps?
'75 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.5L conversion
'91 Jetta 1.6L NA
Biodiesel

"The fool who persists in his folly will become wise." -Blake

Reply #5January 29, 2006, 07:12:02 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:12:02 pm »
i still think my coupe will lay a whooping on your coupe.
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #6January 29, 2006, 10:07:31 pm

2mAn

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 10:07:31 pm »
Quote from: "Trev0rbr"
i still think my coupe will lay a whooping on your coupe.

i KNOW your not refering MY coupe.  :twisted:

Reply #7January 29, 2006, 10:08:26 pm

2mAn

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 10:08:26 pm »
Quote from: "malone"
Quote from: "Dr. Diesel"
Fuel pump with LDA connected to the nitrous system after the solenoid, with a pressure regulator + gauge in between.

WTF is this??? explain more please

Reply #8January 29, 2006, 11:34:57 pm

jackbombay

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 11:34:57 pm »
When the nitrous comes on (with a WOT switch) it pressurises the line to the LDA (the device on your IP that adds more fuel as boost increases). Instead of more oxygen from boost you have more oxygen from the NO2 so the extra fuel will have enough Oxygen to burn, and you only get the extra fuel when the NO2 is "on". If you run out of NO2 you won't get the extra fuel injected either as there would be no pressure to "move" the LDA.

Brilliant idea for sure! I'd rig up my cigarette lighter to arm the NO2 for the full James bond effect. Just thinking about it makes me want a NA Diesel.

Reply #9January 30, 2006, 12:28:58 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 12:28:58 pm »
and... if you rigged up a N2O-motivated pneumatic actuator to turn the fuel screw AS WELL as having the LDA, and used a BIG nitrous jet......

S-PAutomotive.com