Author Topic: K... need some help... lol  (Read 3055 times)

January 29, 2006, 12:46:00 am

NOTORIOUS VR

• Junior

K... need some help... lol
« on: January 29, 2006, 12:46:00 am »
Alright... tonight I performed the govenor mod on my buddy's car... All went well after putting it together... BUT, there was a leak... it was leaking from the throttle shaft.

So we took it apart, and put a new throttle shaft in from a different VW pump (all part numbers were exactly the same and the shaft, etc is all the same visually)...  but after assembling the pump again the car would run only for about 5-15 sec at a time... all depending on how much load you put on the engine (how high revv it up).... if you let the car sit for a while it runs a little longer (like 30 sec)....

The thing is when you first start it it seems to run/idle fine, but then it just goes downhill from there until the motor just dies (not matter how much throttle u give it).... it's as if it's not getting enough fuel.  And once the motor stops own it's own, the clear fuel line it filled with white bubble/foam, that then seems to go back into the fuel filter.

I really have no idea why this is happening... it was running great after the first time I took it apart and put it back together (w/ the mod) but thaking it apart the 2nd time it never ran again and just had this problem above...

I have no idea what it would be... I've tried playing with the max fuel screw but this hasn't helped at all...

Reply #1January 29, 2006, 03:04:59 am

935racer

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 03:04:59 am »
It kind of sounds like you are sucking air in through the pump. Did you replace just the rubber O ring or the complete bushing?

We need to post up some sort of warning that the governor mod is pretty tricky, I feel bad reccomending people try it and than they have problems... I think in Jakes "how to" he states it is for advanced mechanics/tinkerers.

Reply #2January 29, 2006, 10:31:33 am

NOTORIOUS VR

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 10:31:33 am »
Quote from: "935racer"
It kind of sounds like you are sucking air in through the pump. Did you replace just the rubber O ring or the complete bushing?

We need to post up some sort of warning that the governor mod is pretty tricky, I feel bad reccomending people try it and than they have problems... I think in Jakes "how to" he states it is for advanced mechanics/tinkerers.

I undersand that it's an advanced mod... And it's not that I don't know how to tinker with cars... it's just that diesels are still fairly new for me...  But I successfully did this mod to my own car w/o a problem other then some fuel/pump tuning needed afterwards.

I agree that it does sound like it's getting air in there somewhere... and no, no seals were replaced....

In my original post I stated that the first time I put the pump back together the car ran fine (w/ the govenor mod) but there was a leak coming from under the throttle lever... so I took the pump apart again, and we had an spare pump (already taken apart) laying around... so I took the govenor mod out of that one and put it in the new throttle leaver assembly (or whatever u want to call that pivoting part where the main and intermediate springs seat/clip into)...

After putting everything back together, we had this problem..

Since that part was the only ting we've changed, and I dont' see it leaking from where the pump came apart... I guess I shoudl try getting a new O-ring for the throttle stem?  And use the original part again?

Any other suggestions of what to check?

Thanks!

Reply #3January 29, 2006, 10:59:51 am

SMOKEYDUB

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 10:59:51 am »
if its not leakin now and you can see a bunch of bubbles im wondering how good is your "gas" guage? maybe try taking the line off the filter and put some fuel in a bottle and try running it of the bottle or cup whatever you want. What kind of smoke is coming out the back when you crank and hold it to the floor? that will tell you if your getting fuel. Also check you fuel shut off solenoid they sometimes ten to do weird things. Anyways good luck.

Jeff
12mm PUMP 'O' DEATH on a 1.6L
(courtesy of GILES)

2000 NISSAN XTERRA (5 SPD)
1990 VW JETTA 20 VALVE DRAG CAR
1984 RABBIT TD 2dr (SOLD)
1.8t AEB soon around 550 whp

Reply #4January 29, 2006, 11:46:58 am

NOTORIOUS VR

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 11:46:58 am »
well when the car actually starts and u give it gas, it smokes like crazy.... i couldn't really tell what colour as it was dark outside... but it was smokin like nuts... especially just as it stalls...

the gas guage never gave a wrong reading before, and it's got a full tank, because my buddy just put fuel into it not long ago...

We did happed to take off the plastic plug from the fuel filter (the return lines) and noted that the FF is not "full" of fuel... i dunno if that's normal or not...

we also started the car with that fuel filter return plug out of the filter, and even with the engine running nothing came out untill the car stalled and then a whole bunch of foam came out (air bubbles)...

Reply #5January 29, 2006, 12:37:14 pm

tylernt

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 12:37:14 pm »
Fill the filter up with diesel and/or ATF and pour some diesel in the top of the pump (remove the 'OUT' plug and pour it in there until it spills over), and I bet your problem will be solved.
'82 Diesel Rabbit, '88 Fox RIP, '88 Jetta (work in progress)

Reply #6January 29, 2006, 04:45:18 pm

NOTORIOUS VR

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 04:45:18 pm »
Quote from: "tylernt"
Fill the filter up with diesel and/or ATF and pour some diesel in the top of the pump (remove the 'OUT' plug and pour it in there until it spills over), and I bet your problem will be solved.

You were correct my friend... Although I didn't fill it up from the out line... We pre-primed the pump by filling fuel through the in line until fuel started to come out of the fuel filter.  

After doing this twice the car started and ran smooth as slik  :D

Thanks again!  

I kinda figured that it was air in the pump... I just didn't think the pump needed to be primed again.. because when I did it to my mod it went very well, and the first time everything went together on my buddies car the car ran mint as well...  
I think what might of happened was one of us (my buddy or I) must have lifted the fuel returne line too high, and it must have drained too much fuel back into the tank?

Either way... all is well.. thanks to the people here 8)

Reply #7January 29, 2006, 05:32:29 pm

935racer

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 05:32:29 pm »
Hey man sorry I wasn't saying you don't know what youa re doing or you are a sucky mechanic. The reason why I can trouble shoot most peoples problems quickly is that I tought pretty much all of this stuff to myself, no one showed me how so I know a lot of mistakes :lol:  Glad you got it running right I bet your buddy is stoked on his new found power band :twisted:

Reply #8January 30, 2006, 02:40:57 pm

NOTORIOUS VR

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 02:40:57 pm »
Quote from: "935racer"
Hey man sorry I wasn't saying you don't know what youa re doing or you are a sucky mechanic. The reason why I can trouble shoot most peoples problems quickly is that I tought pretty much all of this stuff to myself, no one showed me how so I know a lot of mistakes :lol:  Glad you got it running right I bet your buddy is stoked on his new found power band :twisted:

I totally understand what you mean....  And sometimes it's the only way to learn...

Either way, the car runs great... we upped the boost, and did some fuel tuning, but it still needs more fuel... we're currently running w/o an EGT so we're going by smoke... so little adjustments at a time only.. lol.. very time consuming.

But the car runs great, and pulls hard from 5-9 psi... need to get the upper boost range tuned in right....

EGT and downpipe (from PP.com of course)  coming soon...  :D

Fixmyvw.com