S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Anyone try a custom IP bracket?  (Read 2214 times)

June 02, 2011, 06:19:32 pm

mullenba

Anyone try a custom IP bracket?
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:19:32 pm »
I'm working on a strange setup for my Vanagon Syncro.  I'm swapping it over to diesel, but I'll be using it as a work vehicle, so I need to do some custom (weird) stuff to the engine.  I think I'm going to need to make a custom bracket for the injection pump and alternator, and perhaps an air conditioning compressor (or two).  The reason for this stuff is that I will need to be able to basically set up a mobile repair shop anywhere I can get the van to.

Right now I'm mostly concerned with installing the alternator (I'm installing a large 140 amp unit), the injection pump, and probably a large air conditioning compressor set up as an engine powered on board air compressor.

Long story short, has anyone ever done completely custom brackets for their engine?  If so, do you have descriptions and pictures?  I'm looking to see what others may have done before I start the trial and error myself.

Thanks a lot!

Reply #1June 02, 2011, 06:32:24 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

Re: Anyone try a custom IP bracket?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:32:24 pm »
The freon that the air conditioning pump uses to cool is also a lubricant.. so how will you keep the a/c pump lubed? I like this on board air compressor tho please take pics of that

Reply #2June 02, 2011, 06:48:51 pm

mullenba

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:48:51 pm »
I believe the compressors available in older jeeps (I don't have my notes with me right now) had their own seperate oil reservoir.  Using them as air compressors is pretty common in the extreme off-road community.

Edit:  found it.  Look at York compressors.  Found on TONS of vehicles from the 70's and 80's.
For instance:  http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/yorkair.html
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:00:07 pm by mullenba »

Reply #3June 02, 2011, 11:07:35 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 11:07:35 pm »
some rabbits had them for sure, i've only seen them on gas cars tho
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #4June 02, 2011, 11:52:47 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 11:52:47 pm »
old diesel dashers have the big york style.. but your issue is how the engine is tilted.. dont think it will work..

next.. duel alts.. years ago i got to work on a vw diesel powered sail boat.. :D it had duel alts.. one where the ac comp would be on a dasher/quantium.. and stock location.. they used some dasher style brackets to add the 2nd alt..

what id do is see if a old dasher york style ac comp can be added into that location.. then stock alt.. and 2nd alt where newer style ac comp would go..

ip pump bracket cannot be changed due to lines/timming.. but making new brackets for alts/ac.. go for it.. just rember to build it strong for vibtation.. else it will make a mess..

Reply #5June 02, 2011, 11:53:06 pm

vanagonturbo

• Veteran

• Fine Tuning
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:53:06 pm »
Use an AAZ serp belt setup for the first compressor. All of that (including the 120A alt) will fit under the lid. AFA the second compressor? You are going to need to make something. At least that will get you most of the way there with all OE parts.

Reply #6June 03, 2011, 07:44:58 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 07:44:58 am »
I believe the 1.6TD Quantum/Audi's used that kind of compressor.  I've considered that as well, along with making a tubular steel bumper to use as the air tank.   ;)
did just that in a Bronco. Quick disconnects on the bumper so I could hook a short air hose from the compressor to the bumper and then to another air hose to use. As long as you don't use a ton of air tools for LONG periods of time the compressor won't fail often. If you never use it on things that can't be cleaned you can put oil in and usually it comes right back out, but some is better than none. Just make sure to keep it cool.

Reply #7June 03, 2011, 11:42:29 am

vanbcguy

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Vancouver, BC
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 11:42:29 am »
Used to have a GM compressor on my pickup, it ran for a looooong time and never had any problems.  Had a pressure switch connected to the AC clutch so it'd charge the tank to the right pressure then kick out again.  $15 to replace at the scrappers if it ever did go, but I never had any problems with it.
Bryn

1994 Jetta - AHU M-TDI - Jezebel Jetta
2004 Jetta Wagon - 1.8T - Blitzen

Reply #8June 03, 2011, 12:48:22 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 12:48:22 pm »
The on-board compressor idea is pretty common in the 4x4 world. Go over to pirate4x4.com if you want to see some builds. People like the older York compressors, the ones that actually look like a small air compressor head because they are externally lubricated and have a crankcase, oil reservoir, etc.

My friend built one out of a newer rotary compressor and tried dropping oil in it and it lasted about a month with regular use. Most people just use them to fill tires.

I know I'm pessimistic but I think if this is a work vehicle you should just get an actual compressor that is designed as a compressor and therefore can be reliably used as one, with air tools, every day instead of screwing around trying to make this work... Gas powered compressors are pretty easy to find around here. Or go get an air compressor from a big truck to mount in there, though it would probably be huge. I am currently looking for a small 1 cylinder Hatz diesel engine to re-power a compressor with. They are air cooled and came in small construction equipment, dirt packers...

Fixmyvw.com