Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Yet Another No Run Thread  (Read 4197 times)

Reply #15May 24, 2011, 05:11:02 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

Re: Yet Another No Run Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 05:11:02 pm »
Was this originally a gas car?  With a fuel pump in the tank? Just converted a mk2 car, had to hotwire the pump in the tank and have it running(or remove the pump and change the sending unit), or I ran out of fuel with about 3/8 of a tank left.... Just a thought.

Reply #16May 24, 2011, 06:29:58 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 06:29:58 pm »
Guys thank you so much for the replies, I am still at work! Thus the replies via cellular device ;)

I will pull the seat then for sure after work and check out that screen, hopefully its plugged up :)

Yes on an mk2 diesel swap it is necessary to remove or utilize the in tank fuel pump.. On the mk1 (mine being a CIS car) there was no in tank pump, there was a high pressured pump just outside the tank that supplies the CIS fuel distributor with just under 80psi.. This fuel pump has been removed and a rubber hose connected from hardline to tank outlet. Not to mention the car has been through countless tanks since February.. It is %100 fuel related tho.

Anyone know of any good inexpensive pumps that are diesel compatible?? That I can get here fast!!??

Reply #17May 24, 2011, 06:37:22 pm

Powered by Spearco

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 06:37:22 pm »
I'm using a Faset brand prime pump. Its been on my truck for three years now, no probs.
'87 Syncro Transporter Single Cab "Now TDI"
'78 Rabbit..Gas Weekend Racer
'81 Caddy..Diesel 1.6/1.9 TD hybrid 275HP 349TQ "Retired"
'90 MultiVan, 2.5 Suby Swap, Porsche Brakes
'76 Scirocco TD dragster project
'13 Golf R:. Tuned
'98 Puch G320

Reply #18May 24, 2011, 09:32:56 pm

ROBZUK

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 09:32:56 pm »
I had this same issue on my TDI. Intermittent power loss and finally a no start. It was a clogged fuel inlet screen in the sending unit. A drill bit took care of that little issue, lol. Stupid check valves!  >:(

If you're looking for a lift pump that's stock, we're in the process of converting our 87 Cabriolet to diesel. It has an in tank lift pump, 5-7 psi. There are a few people using them on the Tex with no issues. I dunno how it will hold up when I start running high concentrations of biodiesel though, time will tell.

Reply #19May 24, 2011, 10:33:50 pm

dodger21

• Junior

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 10:33:50 pm »
Go to Autozone and get the Mr Diesel fuel pump. 12psi is fine for the VE. I pushed 20+ psi in my Dodge truck. Truck had better top end and got me 2mpg more.
1985 Golf 1.6NA with a 5spd

Reply #20May 24, 2011, 10:59:45 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 10:59:45 pm »
a Mr Gasket diesel fuel pump? 100-micron inline filter and 35gph at 5psi.. $60 not bad

Reply #21May 25, 2011, 02:33:20 am

745 turbogreasel

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 02:33:20 am »
I've used a bunch of random ones form the junkyard.  Sometimes veg oil will gum them up, and you have to beat on em a bit, but any will work fine for testing at least.

Reply #22May 25, 2011, 09:32:51 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »
So there is no restrictions in the lines, the fuel tank looks as clean as brand new, and it will pull fuel from a Jerry can on the floor..

What is going on here, no tell tale sounds of a pump failure.. as it runs just fine and dandy off the jerry can.. When blowing air down the return line I can here it bubbling in the tank through the vent line on the other side of the engine bay.. and then fuel shoots out the feed. When blowing air down the feed it bubbles, starts to push fuel through the pump and then squirts out the return.. DUNNO WHAT IS GOING ON!

Reply #23May 25, 2011, 09:55:26 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 09:55:26 pm »
IF I RUN A LIFT PUMP IS 9psi TOO MUCH!?!?

I have heard someone run 15psi?

Reply #24May 25, 2011, 10:04:02 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 10:04:02 pm »
Might you have a weak spot in a line someplace that is collapsing from the vacuum but not restricting because you are testing with pressure?  I use a big syringe on the line going to the IP to pull fuel through or to the filter.  You might try the same kind of arrangement.  Mine is one of those plastic ones that is marked off for ounces and meant for mixing 2 stroke oil.  It also works great on the OUT banjo of the IP to fill the pump after I break it apart to work on it.  Thank goodness that nonsense is over with.

It has to be something! 
A plug of something in the line getting caught on a turn or bend?

Totally baffling.

Reply #25May 26, 2011, 06:27:33 am

J Z

• User+

• Personal Text
    Sweden
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 06:27:33 am »
When blowing air down the return line I can here it bubbling in the tank through the vent line on the other side of the engine bay.. and then fuel shoots out the feed. When blowing air down the feed it bubbles, starts to push fuel through the pump and then squirts out the return.. DUNNO WHAT IS GOING ON!

Does it do that with the fillercap on or off ?  If blowing is building pressure inside the tank, there vill be vacum when ip is connected. Maby a blocked capvent or venthose in tank.

But, If you have an open filler neck and it does like you say....  Then I don't have a clue..   ???
'75 Volvo 242 D24 TIC
'90 Golf II 1,9 GTD
'91 Golf II 1,9 M-TDI

Reply #26May 26, 2011, 02:35:07 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 02:35:07 pm »
Because this car was gasoline not to long ago it doesn't have a venting gas cap, it has a third line that follows the hardlines back to the tank that I have snipped off in the engine bay. Pine needles? How does one get pine needles in on ones gas tank? Lol kev I think you had vandles! Ill pull the back seat and check the sender and look in the tank.. Can you physically see the fuel in the tank by looking through the tanks top on an mk1 jetta?

Also what I was thinking is a small helper pump with a low psi of 3-5 inline would work great.. So like any fuel pump for a carb application should work out fine for me eh? If it is ok to pump gas.. Can it pump diesel too??

no dude, the car had that problem when i got it. those needles were already there. and im not the only one its happened to either believe it or not.. there were a couple other users on here who have had pine needles in the fuel filter inlet banjo bolt.. i had a lift pump rigged up in my other rabbit too, because of those damn needles.. lol. anyways, fixed the pine needle problem, and left my lift pump there, but its purpose changed to primer pump.. you could be completely out of fuel, dump a gallon in the tank, turn the key on, wait for the fuel to start trickling back into the tank, then fire it up. i had a beer keg for a fuel tank, so you could hear the fuel returning to the tank.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

S-PAutomotive.com