Author Topic: help ball joint let go!  (Read 4484 times)

January 23, 2006, 07:21:52 pm

1slowvw

help ball joint let go!
« on: January 23, 2006, 07:21:52 pm »
Well guys it seems my Volkswagen blues have returned after replacing my glow plugs, battery, starter, alternator and clutch cable I went to pull out of my parking lot today after school and my ball joint snapped. So now my cars back in the garage and I need to know if I need any special tools to replace it and what else I should check to for damage. Luckily I was only going about 5kph when it broke. Anyway Hope one of you VW geniuses can help me out.
                                        Thanks in advance: 1SlowVW

Reply #1January 23, 2006, 08:36:15 pm

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

help ball joint let go!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 08:36:15 pm »
Well, that sucks. Generally you shouldn't need any special tools. A pickle fork may be required though to get the old ball joint shank out of the knuckle. One of the CV joints (and possibly the boot) is probably also damaged or at least pulled apart. Make sure they didn't seperate from the axle on the inside or the outside.

Be sure to replace both ball joints. If one snapped then the other isn't far behind. Also, if they got bad enough for one to break then it would be doubtful that the tierods have seen any maintenance either. Consider replacing those as well. How many KM's are on the car? MK1, MK2?

Reply #2January 23, 2006, 08:46:21 pm

1slowvw

help ball joint let go!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 08:46:21 pm »
My car is a 1991 Golf Diesel 1.6 NA, it has 420,000km. and thanks for the quik response vw Mike. Sorry I dident state it from the bigging iv been reading everything posted on this site for so long I forgot to I never introduced myself.

Reply #3January 23, 2006, 10:19:08 pm

Master ACiD

• Veteran

help ball joint let go!
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 10:19:08 pm »
before you fix the balljoint i would get under there and use a pry bar to mess around with the rest of the suspension, looking for worn parts.  go ahead and look at the rear suspension too while you are at it.

that way you can get an idea if other parts of the suspension need work. maybe you could plan ahead and buy everything at once and take a weekend to fix it all. i have a strong feeling that if a balljoint was worn out enough to slip out of the socket, theres probably alot of other parts that are not too far behind.

Reply #4January 24, 2006, 08:17:49 pm

1slowvw

help ball joint let go!
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 08:17:49 pm »
Ok guys I got the old ball joint off, and put the new one on but i cant get into place.It would seem that my front axel has poped out of place and wont go back in, it spins freely even thought the car is in gear. So once again I need you guy's help! because im starting to loose patience with this thing.

Reply #5January 25, 2006, 04:49:41 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
CV
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2006, 04:49:41 am »
The axle pulled out of the inner CV?
 If so, I believe that one has a c-clip that is supposed to hold it on. You'd have to pull it and reinstall the c-clip or get a new clip.

The outer CV should just pop back on once alligned.
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block