S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: building mk2 track car, need some input on engine mods  (Read 4543 times)

Reply #15May 31, 2011, 12:05:51 am

91redjetta

Re: building mk2 track car, need some input on engine mods
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 12:05:51 am »
I know this is a diesel places and all but.. I'd tell you right now that I'd go 16v. I've got a 82 rabbit pick up that's not stock.. And I've had plenty of gas vw's all 8v that maybe couldn't out torque them but could take a beating hard for a lot longer.. I have a heat problem in my truck and maybe it's my own doing.. I'm running a 1.6eco engine that the head has been wildly ported and polished.. Intake polishe and ported.. Exhaust manifold polish and port matched, then heat rapped with a k24 pushing 20+ psi throw an air to air in front of a 8v rabbit conv. Rad. 2-1/2 stainless down pipe and straight pipe.. I can get the egt gauge to 1200-1350 full throttle runs  to 110mph and the temp. Gauge starts to climb hard. Amost to 230°.. I have the stock oil cooler which I know needs to be thrown away and replaced. I also run an acn 5 speed trans. Which out of the o2o trans is the lowest geared.. 3.67 r&p. And a .75 5th. .. Heat is going to be your enemy is what I'm getting at. Ya.. I'd love to go thrash my truck around.. But if I was building a track car it wouldn't be a diesel.. The more fuel you dump in the more heat you build.. Gas car is opp. My 2 cents

Reply #16May 31, 2011, 11:02:30 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: building mk2 track car, need some input on engine mods
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 11:02:30 am »
I know this is a diesel places and all but.. I'd tell you right now that I'd go 16v. I've got a 82 rabbit pick up that's not stock.. And I've had plenty of gas vw's all 8v that maybe couldn't out torque them but could take a beating hard for a lot longer.. I have a heat problem in my truck and maybe it's my own doing.. I'm running a 1.6eco engine that the head has been wildly ported and polished.. Intake polishe and ported.. Exhaust manifold polish and port matched, then heat rapped with a k24 pushing 20+ psi throw an air to air in front of a 8v rabbit conv. Rad. 2-1/2 stainless down pipe and straight pipe.. I can get the egt gauge to 1200-1350 full throttle runs  to 110mph and the temp. Gauge starts to climb hard. Amost to 230°.. I have the stock oil cooler which I know needs to be thrown away and replaced. I also run an acn 5 speed trans. Which out of the o2o trans is the lowest geared.. 3.67 r&p. And a .75 5th. .. Heat is going to be your enemy is what I'm getting at. Ya.. I'd love to go thrash my truck around.. But if I was building a track car it wouldn't be a diesel.. The more fuel you dump in the more heat you build.. Gas car is opp. My 2 cents

yea, if you dont add enough air to burn all that fuel, yea, it gets hot.. but if you got enough air to burn that charge with no smoke, then its most likely fairly cool..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com