Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: anyone ever cut the muffler off?  (Read 9249 times)

Reply #45May 09, 2011, 08:58:39 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
Re: anyone ever cut the muffler off?
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2011, 08:58:39 am »
I had an NA with 2 glass packs on it and I thought it was perfect. I was running 2.25" tubing front to back as well. Smaller tubing may make it louder.

Reply #46May 09, 2011, 09:55:47 am

DJPyro

• Junior

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2011, 09:55:47 am »
Didn't I hear turbo whistle on both those videos though? Neither of them were NA, which definitely changes the sound.... They both sounded similar to mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovDWm5Nr70

Car has no muffler or resonators, stock cat still in place. But it's also a TD.

Reply #47May 09, 2011, 12:03:05 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2011, 12:03:05 pm »
Didn't I hear turbo whistle on both those videos though? Neither of them were NA, which definitely changes the sound.... They both sounded similar to mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eovDWm5Nr70

Car has no muffler or resonators, stock cat still in place. But it's also a TD.
hahah when you passed by the first time it was sounding righteous! but i don't have a turbo, i don't have a cat i don't think, and i dont' have a glasspack laying around. just a hacksaw. what glasspack do ya'll suggest? i was hoping not to have to pay someone for this jobber
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:08:59 pm by wdkingery »

Reply #48May 09, 2011, 12:54:56 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2011, 12:54:56 pm »
You have a glass-pack inline. Exactly what Ive been saying to do :D Thats my exact system, except my glass-pack is in the tunnel.

that looks more like a resonator.. glass packs only work on diesels for a while, till they plug up from the soot. resonators dont clog up, they are hollow.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #49May 09, 2011, 01:08:00 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2011, 01:08:00 pm »
What gOod do they do if their completely hollow? Plugged up glasspack? Just need some DEF ;)

Reply #50May 09, 2011, 01:10:27 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2011, 01:10:27 pm »
What gOod do they do if their completely hollow? Plugged up glasspack? Just need some DEF ;)

they still cancel the exhaust drone pretty good. they rely on the sound bouncing into each other to cut noise.. they work better, and for longer than a glass pack. ;D

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #51May 09, 2011, 06:01:23 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2011, 06:01:23 pm »
I just got a small 2.5 inch straight through can muffler put on my mk2 TD Golf and a 2.5" exhaust pipe all the way from the turbo downpipe and it's WAY TOO LOUD under load and I hate it, I really need to figure out what to do.  I couldn't imagine removing the muffler entirely. I know someone that cut the muffler off of their TDI Golf and it actually wasn't that loud and was much better than I expected.

Reply #52May 09, 2011, 06:05:44 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2011, 06:05:44 pm »
I just got a small 2.5 inch straight through can muffler put on my mk2 TD Golf and a 2.5" exhaust pipe all the way from the turbo downpipe and it's WAY TOO LOUD under load and I hate it, I really need to figure out what to do.  I couldn't imagine removing the muffler entirely. I know someone that cut the muffler off of their TDI Golf and it actually wasn't that loud and was much better than I expected.

it probably a catalytic converter, or it had a VNT turbo.. did it have lots of turbo scream?

my car is a 1.6 idi with a VNT15 turbo.. i run an open downpipe. (literally only 8" long, it comes out right beside the smoke pedal basically) my car is quiet even at highway speed, or passing a car on the highway for that matter.. quiet enough that you can talk to your passenger in a normal tone of voice.. all you hear is the turbo scream..

when i had a K24 turbo on there, it was MUCH LOUDER.. just the style of turbo has alot to do with how loud it is..

Reply #53May 09, 2011, 10:06:58 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2011, 10:06:58 pm »
it probably a catalytic converter, or it had a VNT turbo.. did it have lots of turbo scream?

I forgot about the catalytic converter, I'm sure it still had the cat and probably the VNT turbo, you could hear the turbo right off idle.

Incidentally I have a T3 on mine.

Reply #54May 10, 2011, 12:39:19 am

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2011, 12:39:19 am »
that looks more like a resonator.. glass packs only work on diesels for a while, till they plug up from the soot. resonators dont clog up, they are hollow.

I'm running a Jones louvered (not perforated) glasspack.  When I spoke with a tech at Jones, I asked the same question about the soot.  He said I'd be fine, but I still oriented the glasspack so the louvers weren't acting like a scoop.

-Todd

Reply #55May 10, 2011, 12:52:55 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 12:52:55 pm »

I'm running a Jones louvered (not perforated) glasspack.  When I spoke with a tech at Jones, I asked the same question about the soot.  He said I'd be fine, but I still oriented the glasspack so the louvers weren't acting like a scoop.

-Todd

thats how i would have installed it too. and i believe that they are supposed to flow that way anyway IIRC?

Reply #56May 10, 2011, 01:25:38 pm

ToddA1

• Veteran

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2011, 01:25:38 pm »
thats how i would have installed it too. and i believe that they are supposed to flow that way anyway IIRC?

The tech told me that their's are reversible.  If I'd have installed it the other way, it'd have been quieter with a slight decrease in flow.

I'm running mine with a ported Euro GTI exhaust manifold through a TT long twin tube.  2" TT exhaust with the 12" (3.5" diameter) Jones resonator, and exiting through an old Dynomax UltraFlo.  It's pretty quiet....  I like it that way.

BTW, I have a 2.25" SS Magnaflow (not yet installed) and it's fully welded.

-Todd

Reply #57May 10, 2011, 01:32:03 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2011, 01:32:03 pm »

The tech told me that their's are reversible.  If I'd have installed it the other way, it'd have been quieter with a slight decrease in flow.

I'm running mine with a ported Euro GTI exhaust manifold through a TT long twin tube.  2" TT exhaust with the 12" (3.5" diameter) Jones resonator, and exiting through an old Dynomax UltraFlo.  It's pretty quiet....  I like it that way.

BTW, I have a 2.25" SS Magnaflow (not yet installed) and it's fully welded.

-Todd

weird, the old ones must have been crimped, or my mind is playing tricks on me and they were all welded.. its completely possible.

i havent touched one of those in about 5 years..

Reply #58May 10, 2011, 07:43:30 pm

wdkingery

• Veteran

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2011, 07:43:30 pm »
ok i think i dropped a set of balls and i'm going to wack the thing tonight, depending on the autozone selection of mufflers incase it's too damn loud. only 1.5 inch pipe so i'm affraid it's gonna rasp as well as this muffler is HUGE. so we will see. i'll report back with video when i'm done

edit: autozone seems to having NOTHING in a 1.5'' ID .. they had a cherry bomb ''turbo" for a painful $35 with a i 2'' ID. a coupler, a few clamps and tax was $45. tomorrow we'll have vids on: current, no muffler, and turbo muffler
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:39:33 pm by wdkingery »

Reply #59May 11, 2011, 11:53:55 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2011, 11:53:55 am »
ok i think i dropped a set of balls and i'm going to wack the thing tonight, depending on the autozone selection of mufflers incase it's too damn loud. only 1.5 inch pipe so i'm affraid it's gonna rasp as well as this muffler is HUGE. so we will see. i'll report back with video when i'm done

edit: autozone seems to having NOTHING in a 1.5'' ID .. they had a cherry bomb ''turbo" for a painful $35 with a i 2'' ID. a coupler, a few clamps and tax was $45. tomorrow we'll have vids on: current, no muffler, and turbo muffler

yup, it will..

and you gotta get a reducer to go from 2" down to your size..

Fixmyvw.com