S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: What is the best exhaust setup?  (Read 6954 times)

Reply #15April 30, 2011, 01:28:46 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: What is the best exhaust setup?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »
Hitting a few boneyards, I found that some of the dual downpipe/manifold setups weren't as large (in total cross-sectional area) as some of the singles; I'm sure others are larger. In the end (1.6NA) I used a 1.8 gasser single-exit manifold & downpipe (roughly 2.25" ID), cleaned up the obvious casting flash & mismatches with a die grinder, and had a 2.25" DP-back system made for it, flowing through a short 2.25" "Turbo" muffler. It was an immediate improvement over the constipated, garden hose-sized OEM exhaust system: the engine is just much more responsive/spunky/free-revving.

I also liked that I could fit the EGT probe in the center of the manifold's single outflow. Not as purty as ceramic-coated headers and no bragging rights; it just works.

J.R.
SoCal

How true. I recall the size of my stock exhaust and shake my head..... lolol

A lot of knowledge on here, so I get a lot of ideas.....

Keep them coming,.

the single outlet mk2 1.8 IS indeed larger than the mk1 toilet bowl. my GTI had ~2" all the way back from the toilet bowl.. but i changed it out for the dual manifold and d/p.. the increase in power was kinda amazing. didnt change anything besides the manifold/DP..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16April 30, 2011, 11:43:24 pm

8v-of-fury

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 11:43:24 pm »
coulda been your DP.

Reply #17May 01, 2011, 04:05:27 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2011, 04:05:27 pm »
your best exhaust mod   ;D

I can barely change my own oil, and you throw this at me........ LOLOLOL

Though it is a nice addition to my 2009, I'm hoping to be happy with the Giles IP on the 89.

Stay safe, stay well. Jimmy.
Never forget what a "Religion of Peace" did on 9/11/01.

2015 Passat TDi. 27k
1998 Jetta 1.9TTDi 228k .
2002 F250 7.3 TD   63,000 miles. Sold.
1980 Mack CF Fire Engine. Working on it.
2007 Dodge MegaCab 5.9 Cummins. Nice, but plagued with issues

Reply #18May 01, 2011, 05:11:30 pm

keaton

• Junior

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 05:11:30 pm »

Though it is a nice addition to my 2009, I'm hoping to be happy with the Giles IP on the 89.

1)well others have done this and they made build threads. covered in the FAQ section. so your not the 1st one to do it and you can look at what they did.

2) this forums is a great resource with plenty of people who know that they are taking about and can help guide you.

3) google.com

its just like bolting on headers/manifolds but now you have some oil lines (feed and drain) that you have to hook up and a charge pipes (no IC) or more depending if you go with an SMIC/FMIC/AWIC.
its a good learning experience so you will no longer say that you can barley change you own oil
2006 1.9L BRM 5-speed Manual... 100% Stock :(

Standalone VGT/VNT controller: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/
My CAN Bus video recorder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c

Reply #19May 01, 2011, 08:06:42 pm

fdnyguy

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 08:06:42 pm »

1)well others have done this and they made build threads. covered in the FAQ section. so your not the 1st one to do it and you can look at what they did.

2) this forums is a great resource with plenty of people who know that they are taking about and can help guide you.

3) google.com

its just like bolting on headers/manifolds but now you have some oil lines (feed and drain) that you have to hook up and a charge pipes (no IC) or more depending if you go with an SMIC/FMIC/AWIC.
its a good learning experience so you will no longer say that you can barley change you own oil

Thanks for the pat on the back, but it ain't happening. I have tried many,many times but my mechanical skills are piss poor. While it does help to have the right tools, I have no place to work, and can't spend money on nice tools I will probably never use. I should have spent my summers as a kid in a garage trying to learn cars instead of playing baseball all day. I didn't make it to the Yankees, either.

Even borrowing tools, it just ain't my thing. I have loved cars since 1964 (ok,maybe 1970) but the mechanical talent just is not there. Hell, trying to get my 1964 Checker running I burned some wires. So I'll save my pennies for a restorer. And not many LI guys here for a build party. Today's paper had the cost of living in the NYC area up 14% from last year. So I don't think anyone would have time for a build party or 2 anyway.

Before I got a good deal on a rebuilt engine, Tyler (BYM) offered to rebuild mine. Jokingly said it's crazy I could build a model airplane, but can't fix a car. Tyler can work wonders with a car, but couldn't build a model airplane..... :) Go figure. (His words, not mine...lol )

While it has been done, is it not recommended to run a turbo without squirters under the turbo? IIRC, the psi setting makes the difference, but I can be wrong (and probably am). And the oil squirters under the pistons make a big difference as well. I do recall people doing it with an N/A, but with limitiations.

My days of speed are over, I am into mpg and not mph, like many here, obviously. I was pretty content with my 52 hp N/A, but need more pep for the upper hills of NY State and the a**holes who drive around LI and NYC. So I think a Giles IP and a good exhaust or headers should suffice.

Of course if I was good with a wrench, I would have already had your turbo on.. :)

Again, thanks for the boost (pun intended), but Mr. Badwrench is content reading what you VW diesel guru's post and pics showing the work, and staying amazed.

Never forget what a "Religion of Peace" did on 9/11/01.

2015 Passat TDi. 27k
1998 Jetta 1.9TTDi 228k .
2002 F250 7.3 TD   63,000 miles. Sold.
1980 Mack CF Fire Engine. Working on it.
2007 Dodge MegaCab 5.9 Cummins. Nice, but plagued with issues

S-PAutomotive.com