S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: oil cooler on 1.6 rabbit??  (Read 3043 times)

April 29, 2011, 12:47:19 pm

rabbit82

• Junior

oil cooler on 1.6 rabbit??
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:47:19 pm »
I have been working on an 82 diesel rabbit and now have it on the road. Still working out bugs in it, nothing to bad so far. I am changing the oil and where the filter mounts there is a square box between the filter and block and it has a line coming from one hose into the box and another going out, the one going out isn't hooked up it's just plugged with a bolt. (wow, that was a long sentence) I am assuming this is an oil cooler? Is it worth keeping on the car? If so I will have to buy a new hose or make one with a "T" in it to hook it up. Any thoughts?

By the way, this is my first diesel so I am still in the learning mode. I did get a good manual, How to keep your Rabbit alive. No Bentley though, I used to have Vanagons and the Bentley for them seemed a little over my head :o

Reply #1April 29, 2011, 01:38:11 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: oil cooler on 1.6 rabbit??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:38:11 pm »
stock n/a rabbit has no need for an oil cooler really.its not hurting anything, but its not necessary either..

you will need special TD only lines for it.. AFAIK..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2April 29, 2011, 01:46:16 pm

rabbit82

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 01:46:16 pm »
Thanks, that's what I was thinking since I haven't seen one on any others I have looked at. To remove it would mean I would have to buy atleast one new hose since the one going to the cooler is special made. I don't trust the one pluged line coming from the cooler. I guess while I'm at it may as well replace all the old hoses.

Reply #3April 29, 2011, 02:21:47 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 02:21:47 pm »
Thanks, that's what I was thinking since I haven't seen one on any others I have looked at. To remove it would mean I would have to buy atleast one new hose since the one going to the cooler is special made. I don't trust the one pluged line coming from the cooler. I guess while I'm at it may as well replace all the old hoses.

stock n/a hoses are easy to get. what hose is hooked up? the one that is kind shaped like an H? or the one that runs behind the pump from the WP to the front coolant neck?

dont forget you need to take the actual cooler off, and un screw the 2" longer nipple that the oil filter screws onto. gotta use a short nipple now..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4April 29, 2011, 05:55:17 pm

rabbit82

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:55:17 pm »
It's T shaped. The cooler T's into the line on the bottom. I hadn't thought about the nipple. I was thinking this just screwed to the existiing nipple. Can the part be bought from Advance Auto, Napa or others?

Reply #5April 29, 2011, 11:57:28 pm

ORCoaster

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Restoring a Caddy as time and weather allows
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:57:28 pm »
Put your time into getting the proper hose on the other side of the cooler/ temp stabilizer.  I had the reverse problem I had the box/cooler and wanted to put it on.  I had a heck of a time finding the longer pipe that extends through the cooler and allows you to put the oil filter on.  It is a weird diameter and pitch combination.  Just by the good grace of the lord did I happen to jimmy open the hood of the only VW in any of the local pull places to find that it had the cooler in place.  I could get the hoses and the pipe I needed.  Could have grabbed the whole thing actually.  But did not need the box or the O ring that goes with it. 

You can purchase the hose you need from several online places.  I spread my business around between several of those here and the local places.  I think getting it up and running will be better than having a bolt in there.  We are talking a big coolant leak if that goes out on you.  The coolant adds temperature to the oil as well so on a cold morning that could come in handy if you are in the north.  It keeps the temp at whatever rating your thermostat is at.  180 or 190 or 195 if you have that one.  Being a car that is new to you, I doubt you pulled it out to see if it was any good.  Beware if you do.  VW didn't give us any drain on this setup so it is a matter of just getting covered in antifreeze when you mess with it. 

Which reminds me my stat is bad and I have to get it replaced.  Somewhere I saw where one of the posters here or on another forum like this had drilled out and tapped a stop cock in the flat spot on the thermostat housing.  May need to do that while I have it off.

Fix what you have it will do you good.