Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Trabold oil filters  (Read 3978 times)

July 21, 2004, 09:47:40 am

farkman

• Junior

Trabold oil filters
« on: July 21, 2004, 09:47:40 am »
Hey guys

Has anyone heard of Trabold oil filters. They claim to filter so well that you rarely have to change the oil in your car (once every 200,000-500,000km). I am skeptical about these claims but it says on their website that they have been used on government vehicles in Germany and is beginning to be used by a police department in the US. Do you think that this product is as good as it says it is, or not? Here is the website www.trabold.net for those that want to check it out.

By the way, the Canadian distributors are friends with my family but they cannot answer some of my questions as they are not very knowledgable about oil filtration.  

Thanks

Reply #1July 21, 2004, 09:03:21 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Trabold oil filters
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 09:03:21 pm »
that's a G60 engine they show on that page! neat!
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2July 22, 2004, 11:34:14 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Trabold oil filters
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 11:34:14 am »
You can do the same thing with the AMSOIL bypass set up. Hooks up the same way.  You just keep changing out the regular and bypass filter at regular intervals and do an oil analysis at regular intervals and can go vertually forever with out changing the oil.  Just depends on many factors. There are the big rigs, 18 wheelers out there that are running 400k miles on the original oil.  Now with these small sumps I find it hard to believe that you can go that long but you never know.  I'm temped to install a bypass filter on my Jetta.  It adds just over a quart to the system unless you choose a larger filter.  It would be interesting to see how well these engines do with a bypass. I'm sure there are others with it.  I know it probably would be cheaper to just change your oil and filter every 3k, by the time you pay for the filters and send in your samples. The bypass is taylored for the high mileage driver in a way to keep from crawling under the vehicle once a month.
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #3July 22, 2004, 11:39:17 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

Trabold oil filters
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 11:39:17 am »
Quote from: "Dr. Diesel"
that's a G60 engine they show on that page! neat!

very neat. however, i would be weary of messing with the lubrication system on an engine with such a tempermental supercharger without previous tests/verification over a long test period that it causes no damage. oil pressure and reliable oil feed into the g-charger are absolutely critical to its health.  :?

Reply #4July 23, 2004, 02:03:24 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Trabold oil filters
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 02:03:24 am »
well they say that they dump the fitlered oil through a hole in the valve cover supplying extra oil for the cam. hm... when was the last time that vw made an engine that didn't have a baffle completely covering the cam? 1984? sheesh!
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Fixmyvw.com