S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Done the governor mod, but I need HELP!!!(missing idle spring on the governor)  (Read 8638 times)

Reply #15April 18, 2011, 11:37:24 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Done the governor mod, but I need HELP!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:24 am »
Right, that didn't go to plan! I took the throttle lever off, and turned the rod CW quarter of a turn until it wouldn't go anymore. Put it back on, it revved straight into the redline. Took it all off again, this time I turned the rod CCW quarter of a turn until it hit the resistance of the intermediate spring, then turned it CW one spline. It runs, idles at 900rpm, however there is a lot of throttle lever play before it actually speeds up. If I turn the max fuel screw in it raises the idle. I did try winding the idle adjust screw in all the way until it started to raise the idle, then I wound the max fuel screw in, raising the idle speed again. Hoping the idle would go back down, I wound the idle screw out, but nothing!

I really need help with this guys, its getting really old now!
Can anyone tell me how the flat screw drive sits on the top of the governor rod, in relationship to the two scribed marks on the 1st lever assembly? As I think this maybe the key to getting it set up correctly... I hope!

you turn the lever CCW.. the shaft stays stationary. and now that you have adjusted it without knowing exactly how to, your gonna have to do some trial and error till you get it right..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16April 18, 2011, 11:53:14 am

adi

Re: Done the governor mod, but I need HELP!!!
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2011, 11:53:14 am »
I've been trial and erroring all day and not really got anywhere  ::)

Does the governor rod with the flat head screw drive on top want to be set all the way clockwise, then put the throttle lever on one spline CCW of where it was originally? If so I'l put it there and see what it runs like, although I think thats how its set at the moment, and its struggling to make any decent boost and is slower than it was as standard.

Reply #17April 18, 2011, 12:03:54 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 12:03:54 pm »
idk how to explain it. i just started up my car, and had the throttle lever sitting on the shaft. then i started turning the shaft and lever till i got it where i wanted it. sometimes, if your fuel screw is too far out, it will make it have a lazy throttle. sounds like you are just going too many splines if you get redline, and then hardly any throttle.. you are just not finding the sweet spot.

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #18April 18, 2011, 12:08:23 pm

trav1856

• Junior

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2011, 12:08:23 pm »
Calm down, until you become a master mechanic, there will be some trial and error as you learn. I blew up a transmission less than 5,000 miles after a clutch install. Was it my fault? No...it was just the tranny's time.

Now, I'm no expert, but I think (just from reading what you're writing)...you're mistaking how to make adjustments to the throttle levers on the spline. You don't turn the spline, you move the lever around the spline, CCW, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, someone). One spline off can make a huge difference. (from what I've read), or if you're trying to turn the splines and put the lever back on in the same spot, you're really shooting yourself in the foot.

Recheck your work, and re-read your info.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=24323.0
1981 Rabbit Diesel
1981 Cabriolet

Reply #19April 18, 2011, 12:10:54 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2011, 12:10:54 pm »
Calm down, until you become a master mechanic, there will be some trial and error as you learn. I blew up a transmission less than 5,000 miles after a clutch install. Was it my fault? No...it was just the tranny's time.

Now, I'm no expert, but I think (just from reading what you're writing)...you're mistaking how to make adjustments to the throttle levers on the spline. You don't turn the spline, you move the lever around the spline, CCW, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong, someone). One spline off can make a huge difference. (from what I've read), or if you're trying to turn the splines and put the lever back on in the same spot, you're really shooting yourself in the foot.

Recheck your work, and re-read your info.

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=24323.0

You got it Trav!

Reply #20April 18, 2011, 12:28:25 pm

adi

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2011, 12:28:25 pm »
Trav, you are a legend. I was at 1st keeping the throttle lever stationary, whilst turning the splined rod! I have had it in a position about 3 times where its given it a VERY lazy throttle and its either been lazy in getting back to idle after a rev or it just doesn't want to rev at all. I've just had another play with it, and I think I've got it back somewhere close to how it was before I messed with it. It pulls into boost again, however the max fuel screw is still way out and it has an idle of about 1100rpm.

So if I manage to get the lever in the correct place on the rod, it will allow me to have full use of the max fuel screw AND the idle adjustment?

Reply #21April 18, 2011, 12:32:32 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2011, 12:32:32 pm »
Trav, you are a legend. I was at 1st keeping the throttle lever stationary, whilst turning the splined rod! I have had it in a position about 3 times where its given it a VERY lazy throttle and its either been lazy in getting back to idle after a rev or it just doesn't want to rev at all. I've just had another play with it, and I think I've got it back somewhere close to how it was before I messed with it. It pulls into boost again, however the max fuel screw is still way out and it has an idle of about 1100rpm.

So if I manage to get the lever in the correct place on the rod, it will allow me to have full use of the max fuel screw AND the idle adjustment?

i told you to just turn the lever many posts ago..

and if your fuel screw is out, and its still idling at 1100, you went a spline too far. go 1 spline CW, then turn your fuel screw in to compensate.

this mod is so that you can wind your fuel screw way in there, and still have an adjustable idle..

if you still have to adjust the idle with the max fuel screw, then you did something wrong..

after i did this mod, i was able to go almost 3 full turns farther in with my fuel screw, and still adjust my idle. my car will idle at about 300 rpms fwiw..

Reply #22April 18, 2011, 12:40:00 pm

adi

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 12:40:00 pm »
I may have missed it, its just all this messing with splines has confused my simple brain very much in the last few days!
How long roughly should the idle screw be from the throttle stop to the casting of the pump? It can't have been right before I even took the pump apart, as it was never touching the lever!

Reply #23April 18, 2011, 12:47:02 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 12:47:02 pm »
I may have missed it, its just all this messing with splines has confused my simple brain very much in the last few days!
How long roughly should the idle screw be from the throttle stop to the casting of the pump? It can't have been right before I even took the pump apart, as it was never touching the lever!

if it was never touching the lever before you took it apart, then your throttle cable was too tight.. have you ever checked the tension of the throttle cable?

and im sorry if splines make your brain hurt.. you shouldnt let those splines get the best of you tho, they really dont have that much mental capacity.. lol

my idle screw is just barely sticking thru the boss it threads into. maybe 2mm sticking out to get me at a nice idle..

Reply #24April 18, 2011, 01:00:22 pm

adi

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 01:00:22 pm »
OK, thats about the position my throttle lever is in now, so going completely against the rule, I really need to turn the splines instead of the lever  :o

I have had to adjust the postion of the cable a few times to get it to work in the various positions the lever has been in over this trial and error period, so when I'm done it definately won't be too tight! Is the fact my governor is missing the idle spring causing all this difficulty?

Reply #25April 18, 2011, 01:03:21 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »
OK, thats about the position my throttle lever is in now, so going completely against the rule, I really need to turn the splines instead of the lever  :o

I have had to adjust the postion of the cable a few times to get it to work in the various positions the lever has been in over this trial and error period, so when I'm done it definately won't be too tight! Is the fact my governor is missing the idle spring causing all this difficulty?

your governor has no idle spring at all? like it only has the 2 main springs in the cage? no idle spring outside the cage?

wow, surprised it even runs.  :o

and the position of your max fuel screw also has a big impact on where the idle is set at. you would have to have your fuel screw in the EXACT SAME SPOT as mine is, for your idle screw to be in the same spot as mine..

just because my pump runs great how it is set up, does not mean your pump will run great how mine is set up..

you have 3 variables to mess with in this equasion..

the throttle lever, the max fuel screw, and the idle screw..

if the max fuel screw is too far out, it will be lazy, and low on power. too far in, and it wont return to idle, and may not idle at all (as you already found out, it goes to red line)

if the lever is on the wrong splines, it will also be lazy, and low on power.. or not idle at all, or be at redline again..

next time, DO NOT open up your pump until you know EXACTLY what you are doing. then you dont have this happen to you..
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:11:18 pm by R.O.R-2.0 »

Reply #26April 18, 2011, 01:08:53 pm

adi

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 01:08:53 pm »
I told you lot when I 1st had problems it was missing  :P

This is my governor before I shimmed it, poor quality, but you get the idea...

I believe this is why I have quarter of a turn freeplay in the splined rod, because there is no spring there to take up the play...

Reply #27April 18, 2011, 01:18:07 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 01:18:07 pm »
 :o :o

wow!

just wow.....

Reply #28April 18, 2011, 01:24:46 pm

adi

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 01:24:46 pm »
Maybe this is why my idle adjust screw does nothing?

Reply #29April 18, 2011, 01:33:32 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
no, your idle screw should still work. just not right..

if i were you, i would stop where you are, take a bunch of deep breathes, and find either a new governor that has not been tampered with, or else find all the missing parts for your pump..

S-PAutomotive.com