Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Alternative Transmission relay lever bracket on MK1  (Read 3821 times)

July 03, 2012, 06:43:03 pm

Darkness_is_spreading

• Veteran

Alternative Transmission relay lever bracket on MK1
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:43:03 pm »
Hey everyone need some brain storming from the experts.

What my current dilemma is I am swapping a AAZ into the 83 Jetta but I do not have the original: relay lever, relay lever bracket and relay lever bolt, as the car I picked up a few years ago was a parts car missing a fair bit of parts.

So what I would like to do is shorten up a aluminium AAZ driver side engine bracket/relay lever bracket to use as an alternative to the MK1 relay lever bracket. What do you think, I wonder if some one has tried this and failed/succeed?

This above picture is a different transmission but I think you get the jist.

Alternatively if some one has the relay lever, relay lever bracket and relay lever bolt. I would be more than willing to purchase it off of them, so please send me a PM. Pictures are not mine...  But they are perfect to assist in the explanation.

83 Jetta 1.9 T (Project Darkness)
88 Jetta 1.6 NA (Dead/Crushed)
92 Jetta 1.6 T (Sleepin)
96 Golf 1.9 T (Parts Car + Mexican Rust Bucket)

Reply #1July 03, 2012, 07:05:21 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Alternative Transmission relay lever bracket on MK1
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 07:05:21 pm »
so, you wanna try and make mk2 parts work, just because you cant find the proper parts?

the mk2 parts are nowheres near the same geometry as the mk1 parts are.. i dunno what combination of linkages and shifter pieces you would even need to make the mk2 parts work.. but i know from experience that the relay lever you have pictured are different lengths between the mk1 and mk2..

why make this harder than it needs to be? why not get the correct parts, so it all bolts together like its supposed to be, instead of being ghetto-fabbed together?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2July 03, 2012, 07:56:03 pm

CrazyAndy

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 07:56:03 pm »
Did you check the for sale section?  As much it'll pain me to suggest this, tried the MK1/transmission vortex FS section?  Since they're bigger than us, someone's liable to have something.  Don't knock other FS forums; wish I could give you mine, but I need it for my own 02A swap so I'll let you know if the 4 speed relay arm works on that swap.  That is if someone doesn't chime in and tell me off on that.

Reply #3July 04, 2012, 11:44:50 am

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:44:50 am »
There is a complete Scirocco in a pick-your-own up here in Kitchener. It might be worth the drive up. I don't know when I'll be there next but I could try and grab the pieces for you as well.
Tyler

Reply #4July 04, 2012, 02:29:19 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:29:19 pm »
Did you check the for sale section?  As much it'll pain me to suggest this, tried the MK1/transmission vortex FS section?  Since they're bigger than us, someone's liable to have something.  Don't knock other FS forums; wish I could give you mine, but I need it for my own 02A swap so I'll let you know if the 4 speed relay arm works on that swap.  That is if someone doesn't chime in and tell me off on that.

talk to Josh (powered by spearco) about the TDI trans swap..

he has an 02J in his caddy, linkage shift, cable clutch..

its been done, its not magic. finding the mk3 TDI trans is the HARD part..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #5July 11, 2012, 07:48:33 pm

Darkness_is_spreading

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:48:33 pm »
Hey Burn your money, do you know the name/number of this scrap yard... I will call them tomorrow.

If you end up going there between now and then I would gladly pay you part price and then some for helping a fellow Vdubber out.
Let me know.
92 Jetta 1.6 T (Sleepin)

Reply #6July 11, 2012, 08:18:27 pm

Darkness_is_spreading

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:18:27 pm »
Hey everyone,

If I am SOL I was wondering if someone could give me the dimensions of this bracket.
This was I could make my own. The bracket I need dimensions on is the "Relay lever bracket".

92 Jetta 1.6 T (Sleepin)

Reply #7July 11, 2012, 11:30:04 pm

CRSMP5

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 11:30:04 pm »
ask theman if he would sell the one on the ff tranny he has... should be on it... only fits mk1... so whome ever wanted to use it should have 1...  $20 +shipping is a deal... when the relay lever could be gotten new.. it in its self was over $75...

as soom as i get oppertunity to crack open the mk3 that needs.. small gear = 150$ big one is 250$... and if it needs both.. ill be buying his ff to put in someting that has 4 speed... then cracking open the 4 speed for rev gear pieces... never seen a 4 speed with bad rev... only mk3 020 eat them...

so car gets free 5 speed... and 4speed becomes pieces...  kinda sad though... its one of the few that can be bolted into a mk2/mk3... has the 3 extra nostrils... only few mk1 in 84 had them...

also fyi... the long bolts holding the aluminum mount on... you have to reuse one and add a 8mm nut to hold this lever set up on it.. middle one...

Fixmyvw.com