Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Forward-backward play in front wheel. opinions?  (Read 20119 times)

Reply #15March 04, 2006, 03:47:34 pm

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Forward-backward play in front wheel. opinions?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2006, 03:47:34 pm »
Quote from: "A Guy"
:?
I tried last night to replace the bushings...not so easy-should have been.  The replacements I got are rubber in the middle with metal around the outside and in the middle.  The one that came out was just rubber.  It looks like the metal around the old bushing has been mated to the A arm and it's still there.  I thought I'd just pull the bolt - give a pry with a bar and slip the new one in and start drink'n.  So much for that.  :(
Do I have to remove the arm or another bolt?  I need advice here because she's even sloppier since I removed and reinstalled the old one.  
Looks like I'm going to have to break the bank and pay full pop for a bentley. :)
TIA
OUT!
Greg

Use a hacksaw,air chisel,hammer and chisels,or even a dremel tool to cut\bend\break the old steel sleeve out of the control arm.You will need a large socket,or piece of pipe to press\tap the new one back in place.It's not that hard,just keep at it.

If your really stuck,drive down here,and I'll fix it for ya.  :wink:
Auto Proformance Services - VW Diesel parts and service
(416)565-7282

Reply #16March 04, 2006, 06:44:55 pm

A Guy

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2006, 06:44:55 pm »
Time is my biggest problem.  I don't have any.  I got an appointment for Monday.  I hate to pay someone else to do this but I don't have access to a press.  I know a couple of the guys at our local CT one who ownes a jetta like my golf and he will be doing the work.  Failing that I'll be driving to brampton.  24 under my arm. :D
I'll repost tuesday
Greg

Reply #17March 05, 2006, 12:17:10 am

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 12:17:10 am »
You don't need a press.Anything that will line up with the outside of the bushing (plus a nammer) will drive it in.If you clean up the control arm well,it should go right in.
(416)565-7282

Reply #18March 06, 2006, 12:34:16 pm

Kevin L

• User+

A Arm bushing
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 12:34:16 pm »
I can't see how you can get the ring of the bushing out without removing the a arm. Once it is out you should be able to use a drift and hammer it out. Then you can tap (hammer gently) in the new one but it does require correct positioning. I believe the hollows go on the sides and the solid parts go front to back but you should check the manual to be sure.

You will require a front end alignment afterwards if you remove the a arm.  Better do both sides because if one is worn the other is right behind and the alignment costs the same if you do one or both.  

If you have the urathane bushings there is no positioning issues. and they will last longer than the rest of the car.

Kevin L
90 Jetta Turbo Diesel 425K and counting

Reply #19March 06, 2006, 05:31:13 pm

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2006, 05:31:13 pm »
If the alignment was correct (before the bushing wore out),it will still be correct once the control arm is re-installed.As long as you do not disturb the strut to knuckle bolts,it will not affect the alignment.
(416)565-7282

Reply #20March 07, 2006, 07:35:17 am

Kevin L

• User+

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2006, 07:35:17 am »
Wyldman
It makes sense the way you explain it that you would not require alignment after bushing replacement
I guess I have been mislead in order to get more money out of me
Always the fear of what if.
Kevin L
90 Jetta Turbo Diesel 425K and counting

Reply #21March 07, 2006, 10:01:56 am

wyldman

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2006, 10:01:56 am »
They will always try and sell you an alignment,just in case.It may have been off before,and you'll never know without checking it.

VW's track fairly well,and don't really wear the tires much as long as the toe is bang on.The camber can be affected when you disturb the strut to knuckle\spindle relationship.Even then,if it's off,it will still drive OK.
(416)565-7282

Reply #22March 07, 2006, 11:27:35 am

A Guy

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2006, 11:27:35 am »
Well it's done and tight once again.  I realised when I first attempted this that my lower ball joints going and it seems that myLF wheel bearing is on it's way out too.  It never ends.   8)
out.
]Greg

Fixmyvw.com