Author Topic: Toyota diesel injection pump...I want to go mechanical!  (Read 8379 times)

April 02, 2011, 11:36:28 am

avocado

Toyota diesel injection pump...I want to go mechanical!
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:36:28 am »
I put a 1995 Toyota diesel engine (from a Japanese Hilux) into my Toyota 4runner.  The engine is a 3L inline 4 cyl turbo IDI.  The pump is electronically controlled, but it is crap.  For instance, to time the pump you turn it so that the pump sits in the middle of its range with the pointer towards a little mark...the computer does the rest.

It has an annoying rattle to it, and it gets WAY worse at altitude.  Most of the time at lower elevations, it does well enough.  It is a basic VE rotary pump that is turned by timing gears.  I know it is a long shot, but does anyone know of a way to get rid of this thing and get a good mechanical pump in there?  Apparently it's been done by someone using a Mitsu 4M40 pump, but I was wondering if a 4BT pump or something else might work? 

TIA!

Reply #1April 02, 2011, 11:43:14 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Toyota diesel injection pump...I want to go mechanical!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:43:14 am »
ive heard that the toyota pumps have a different mounting boss than what our pumps/4bt pumps have..

i think they mount with either 2 bolts, or 4 bolts, not 3 like our pumps..

maybe you should get on one of the dedicated toyota forums and ask what some of them have done?
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #2April 02, 2011, 09:11:03 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 09:11:03 pm »
If mounting is it then I would try to go with a vw pump. Many times I have mounted things I shouldn't have, but it can be done. In this instance sounds like a drill and a carbide burr could start a nice relationship. Ghetto, but it may work.

Reply #3April 02, 2011, 10:07:19 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 10:07:19 pm »
if its a 4 bolt pattern then you can use a VE pump off a nissan SD22.

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #4April 02, 2011, 10:45:11 pm

avocado

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 10:45:11 pm »
Ya, the Toyota diesel pump mounts by two bolts on the outside of the pump body to the timing gear case.

I wonder if the VW diesel pump would be able to supply enough fuel/power for this engine?  Also enough advance for the IDI engine?

Reply #5April 03, 2011, 08:00:00 am

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 08:00:00 am »
what engine do you have? Also have you been to IH8mud dot com? I have a hzj75 LC pick up with a 1hz n/a engine. Its a project right now.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #6April 03, 2011, 10:48:27 am

avocado

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:48:27 am »
The engine is a 1KZTE...

I just wish I knew of more options.....lots of guys in aus and NZ with this, but they are way behind us Yanks in terms of innovation. 

Reply #7April 03, 2011, 12:20:56 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:20:56 pm »
The engine is a 1KZTE...

I just wish I knew of more options.....lots of guys in aus and NZ with this, but they are way behind us Yanks in terms of innovation. 

get an injection pump off a 2.3 isuzu, they also mount with 2 ears, and are a bosch VE pump..

and whoever was wondering about a bosch VE being able to throw down enough fuel, just remember this, all the first gen 12v cummins engines all had VE rotary pumps.. not a massive amount of power, but they had VE's.. so i would say that it can deliver more than enough fuel for a 3L toyota..

Reply #8April 03, 2011, 01:02:12 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 01:02:12 pm »
The engine is a 1KZTE...

no they aren't, they are pretty innovative, they just don't post on boards you look at. You have to track down the aussie boards and club sites. I believe a lot of guys make brackets for the bosche pumps, or modify the bracket to accept the 3rd bolt.
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #9April 03, 2011, 01:03:16 pm

bajacalal

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 01:03:16 pm »
I'm thinking... and don't laugh because this is a long shot anyway... a Peugeot 505 TD. I hardly ever see them anymore but there used to be tons of Pugs in the junkyards around here and it would have similar running characteristics to the Toyota engine (similar displacement, redline, turbo IDI, etc)... and I think they mounted with 2 holes...

Reply #10April 03, 2011, 01:13:59 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 01:13:59 pm »
pug might be an idea, they can be regutted

Reply #11April 03, 2011, 01:36:32 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 01:36:32 pm »
The engine is a 1KZTE...

no they aren't, they are pretty innovative, they just don't post on boards you look at. You have to track down the aussie boards and club sites. I believe a lot of guys make brackets for the bosche pumps, or modify the bracket to accept the 3rd bolt.

the 2 bolt snout has the bolt holes 180* out from each other.. owen might have a picture of the front of his pump/an isuzu pump..

if im correct, the Isuzu pump should bolt right up, it already has 2 bolt mounting flange.. and they are fairly common..

Reply #12April 06, 2011, 06:32:26 pm

truckinwagen

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 06:32:26 pm »
looks like an isuzu pump will bolt up, but I have no idea bout the pulley or its offset(or the shaft diameter etc...)

I would look for a cummins 4BTA to use the pump head/camplate from, and an isuzu pump to use the case from, that would flow plenty of fuel for your motor.
83 Opel Kadett Diesel