Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Rod to cap matching  (Read 3434 times)

Reply #15March 19, 2011, 05:51:03 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Re: Rod to cap matching
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2011, 05:51:03 pm »
you have a 25% chance of getting them right the first time..

i would feel at the parting line with my finger-nail.. and look for the machining marks, like was previously stated..

1 in 4! actually ;D
EDIT... Sorry folks, I assumed that we're all mathematicians here. 4! is 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 , which is the number of combinations; ie 24 ways of putting 4 caps on, strange, but I thought Andrew had posted the result, but it seems to have vanished. Maybe at 3am, it's time to rest my head :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:45:29 am by Mark(The Miser)UK »
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #16March 19, 2011, 09:17:31 pm

sdwarf36

• Junior

Re: Rod to cap matching
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 09:17:31 pm »
The issue discussed in this thread has not had anything to do with matching the rod to the correct hole.  It has only been about matching the correct cap to the correct rod.  As an off-topic aside, it is also wise to keep the rods in the correct holes if possible.  The bearings may be replaced, but the thrust surface will still be worn in with the crank.  Swapping them around will introduce additional wear as the unmatched thrust surfaces have to wear in again.  Granted, resizing the big ends can change the match of the thrust surface, but it is still good practice in case no significant machining of the big end is needed.

Yea-cuz I'm the guy at the machine shop that the people that mixed their rods up bring them to.  :D

Phew, that's the answer I was hoping for.

Oops! guess i got the wrong hole in mind.  :-[

As far as getting the the connecting rods back in the cylinder where they once came, it would be nice-but not enuff to lose sleep over. I'm sure there is a small +/- in the spec of the rod thrust surface size, the amount of clearance allowed is pretty generous. wear is unlikely there-Its probably the most oiled area in an engine-every drop of oil sent to the rod bearing escapes from there and there is no real load on it.
 Next motor job, you'll be the guy bringing every part of your motor job to your machinist in marked baggies -I like them!  ;D
91 Jetta on WVO na / td swap in progress.

"VW happiness is having 4 working door handles."

S-PAutomotive.com