Author Topic: Mechanical TDI Caddy on the road..little problems....  (Read 28294 times)

Reply #15January 26, 2006, 07:42:01 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

Mechanical TDI Caddy on the road..little problems....
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 07:42:01 am »
I'll take pics today.. both of my 4bt pumps have a pump lock pin on the left side looking at the rotor up front near the side of the 3 bolt mounting flange..one pump has a tag saying remember to remove locking mechaninism before starting or serious gov and internal damge will result... I'll have to dig up my b series manual..i think my 6cyl ve from the cummins has a similar pin....... oh and my 4bt pumps do not have the cold start advance vlae on the outside ..my 6cyl ve's from the cummins do have this but not the 4bts... I'd liek to find a way to make to disable the electric shut off and just use the shut off cable..
thanks deo

Reply #16January 26, 2006, 08:54:26 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 08:54:26 am »
I'd liek to find a way to make to disable the electric shut off and just use the shut off cable..

All you need to do it remove the fuel cutoff solenoid, discard the plunger and spring and replace the cutoff solenoid. Then use the cable shutoff.

Reply #17January 26, 2006, 09:50:47 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 09:50:47 am »
yeah, my unit happens to be a later series pump.

QuickTD has the good recommendation on what you can do to disable...

Joe
1979 Rabbit mTDI crazy $*(\%& bunny...
1972 VW Westfalia
2009 VW Tiguan SE 2.0T (Wife's car)
2001 Audi TT 225 Quattro Roadster (something newer :) )

Reply #18January 26, 2006, 12:12:59 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 12:12:59 pm »
Joe - I saw and learned about the 4BT's lock pin at a recent visit to my friend with the diesel rebuild shop.  We actually started talking about it when we were reviewing the test specifications for your 4BT pump, because there is a spec on how to time the pump to set it!  It's located on the side of the triangular-shaped mounting flange, on the side that is visible on a VW engine when the pump is installed.  I'd just time your pump in the usual VW manner though, when it installed on the car.  Only thing you need to be worried about the 4BT lock pin is that it is not tightened when go to rotate your pump, otherwise the input shaft will get scored.

As a side note, according to the test specs the 4BT pump has a 24 volt shutoff solenoid.  That's not going to work at all on a VW electrical system obviously, but a 12 volt solenoid would probably swap right on.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #19January 26, 2006, 12:59:09 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006, 12:59:09 pm »
Jake,

I don't know where my head was (well, i could give you a clue) but I don't know what I was talking about. Mine does have it. I see it now... Interesting. :)  Has a "nut" with an "arrowed" plate ...  I have pics...will post later...  
When you unscrew it I can see def. what Deo is talking about. Now what I'm wondering is I'm going to guess that the locking plate being in place allows the pump to move free, like a "run" setting. If you remove the plate does this "pin" that screws into the pump serve the same purpose that our pulley locking pin does on the VW diesel pumps? If so, I'm def. going to use this as it will save me from doing a bit more work to the Mk4 style pulley I"m going to run to clear it for the locking pin. I didn't find much of any info on it in my VE manual nor in the other lit. I'll def. post pics later though! Very cool stuff. Learn something new and great about this everyday!

Deo, if you want a electronic cold start mech. I can hook you up with mine if you want...I'm not going to run it and will just change the timing advance cover...

Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #20January 26, 2006, 10:45:26 pm

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2006, 10:45:26 pm »
as promised... Pics... was working on the pump again tonight just for curiousity reasons and preparing it for the reseal and cleanup I'm going to do after I have the bottom end all together this weekend  and found ALOT more interesting stuff with it too.. :) Yum...

The bugger in question...

And just for kicks...

VW TD throttle shaft and gov. cage assembly installed in 4bt LDA pump housing, the VW TD throttle shaft bushing was also swapped into the pump to compensate for a height difference between the two throttle shafts...

Sorry, the top one is a bit blurry...
Joe
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #21January 27, 2006, 08:20:05 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 08:20:05 am »
finally here are some pics...
heres the pump with the  fuel shut off lever like joes  this one was the donor for the camplate and the 12mm plunger on my hybrid pump:

heres the other 4bt pump I want to modifiy with teh vw governor and the fuel shut off lever from the other pump top:

heres a engine shot:

and a interior in the making shot:

hope to have figured out my suspension woes today..oh  if you wan tto lift a rabbit don't try to move the strut lower mounting points ha we did and it won't work..so only lift you can get is messing with springs or perch height....oh and we mounted apoly racing seat too yesterday it gets you move room ..makes th ecaddy more tolerable for tall people ha..my freind who helped me make th eseat mounts is liek 6'8" or 6'10 " tall and he felt way more confortable and felt he could deal with it ha..im only 6'  so i should be ok. i'll snag a pic today... oh i need to find a 13" high radiator that is 15 or 16" wide ..any ideas?
thanks
later
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Reply #22January 27, 2006, 09:44:24 am

RabbitGTDguy

• Veteran

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 09:44:24 am »
Deo,

Man, those look like nice pumps... new? Lucky you. I'm pretty sure this one I have has been rebuilt but it would've been cool to buy new. Not in the budget though this year I'm afraid. I really thing you'll be happy with the "full" cummins pump. The modification is slight and the smoothness of the motor is spectacular. Like I said, hearing it run on my friend Karls application ...man... so nice. and his wasn't with the cummins top on it...was running a Fiat TD top, boost pin, etc.

Also, that pulley you have there... that looks like the MK4 lump but did you go ahead and machine it down like I did mine? I don't see the "bubble" on the one side unless its just the angle of the shot but it looks like its flat on the table... Should work then :) Did you look up/ call worldimpex on the 1.9 AAZ pump sprocket number I gave you?

Finally, as mentioned above, you should be able to easily switch this over, and if you wanted the electronic cold start we could work something out as I don't want to run it on mine....

Looks good... Thats one monster of a 'sender in the engine compartment...
1972 VW Westfalia

Reply #23January 27, 2006, 10:49:10 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 10:49:10 am »
yeah thats the autometer oil pressure sender..i had it on the head like normal but swapped it there its going back on teh head soon though...after my self inflict low oil pressures was "fixed"...ha..just got new strut inserts and some "neew" axles..and swapping radiators etc to try to fit the izuzu intercooler i have in there..i hope to make it fit..as for the cold start set up..i think it may be useful for me as i plan to run this puppy in th ecold..it starts awesome in the cold weather i have block heater an dhave n't had to use it yet just glow fro a little bit an dvroom starts right up..way way nicer then any 1.6L idi i've driven in cold weather...
out back in the garage fro me..later
Deo
\x/ hillfolk!

Reply #24February 01, 2006, 11:45:41 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2006, 11:45:41 pm »
hey deo,,that lda(cold start) shuts off around 120f on a cummins ,,get a temp SWITCH  that opens around that temp,,the cummins one is a big bulky thing,,get one from an early 6.2/6.5 junk ,,theyhave a switch that works this way too,,,..
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #25February 02, 2006, 07:51:57 am

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 07:51:57 am »
mummn thanks for the tip..im off today and friday..i hope to have recieved the injection pump pulley by then.. so i can swap the pump..i got my other poly seat yesterday..and i want to re try the front suspension again argh ..keep swapping housings and springs..hows yours going?...
later
deo

Reply #26February 02, 2006, 06:31:22 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 06:31:22 pm »
couldnt find one of those shift rod bushings,,,,i need one of those ones thats rivited together,, mines the orig. 4 speed one that bolts together and has boots,,,,,,if ya got one layin round,,keep it,,,i put the old sloppy one back in,,one day ill make all the linkage w/ rod ends etc,,,stripped out the speedo cable bolt in trans,,brought a heli coil kit home tonite,,gotta make a pipe for turbo to intake,got 2  2 inch 90 deg rad hoses,connect themtogether w/a straight pipe,,gotta weld in a fitting for the afc/boost guage,,yo that dude i got the car from has some i/c's layin round,he said he would gimme one,probably a audi 5000,,gotta run guage wiring,,,rad is installed,,alt+pulleys lining up ok now,,dunno if im gonna do 90 deg swap on battery,, imay jus wanna get it running,ohyea lift pump too,,,at leastiwas smart,i let the fuel level get to the red zone,,,,so it wont be toomessy,,,,,did ya rubber mount your pumpw/that bracket i gave ya???,,had to add an inch to downpipe,,,,,,,,i cant get the old egt fitting out of  my dp,,maybe ill put ina smoke system in there,,hahhah,,,egt is now mounted preturbo,,its gettin there,,,im thinkin bout bustin butt fri nite+weekend,,,,,if it goes smooth,ill fire it up,but everything has been fighting me,,i hooked upshifter rod to shifterbackward,had to turn it around,,all the nice motor mounts+alt brackets i had painted up nice,now can sit in a box,cause ihad to clean+paint  the ones that cane off the 1.6d,,,just lil frustrating things goin on like that
Throttle cables ftw

Reply #27February 02, 2006, 06:59:05 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 06:59:05 pm »
cool im busting on mine too..did th egov swap and im thinking of dremeling teh d- valve stonight not sure..argh?... i think you may need to swap your delivery valves over from idi to di delivery valves..i may even try that on my truck tonight maybe thats th eproblem i have with no fuel?.. i'll give ya buzz.
later
Deo

Reply #28February 02, 2006, 10:29:05 pm

therabbittree

• Veteran

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 10:29:05 pm »
well, i cut em and mounted em in the pump and painted teh pump..just waiting for the pulley to get here in the mail..i swapped the other set on d valves onto the truck too ... it started frine it had to re bent the lines to clear th elonger valves..with out those two bolts for the block mount man it startes a har,onic vibration that increases th erpm ha its funny idff i press hard on teh pump and stop the vibration th erpms would drop down ha..oh well it getting swapped out asap.... i rang ya on eth ecell and th ehouse..no answer..talk to ya later
Deo

Reply #29February 02, 2006, 11:40:01 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 11:40:01 pm »
thas wierd, cell is on,,didnt ring,,,,well it did,it was a voice mail for her,,,,,like 7 pm or so,,icame in round 10 or so,,hah,,the exhaust is still hangin under the car,,maybe ill leave the muffler in the rear for the sleeper look,,,,,,actually one cool thing is it looks like my neuspeed bar would still fit too,,i dont think iwas able to use it on the ol1.6 td
Throttle cables ftw