Author Topic: I get boost... eventually  (Read 7198 times)

Reply #30March 12, 2011, 01:16:41 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: I get boost... eventually
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 01:16:41 pm »
remember this too, not all K03s are the same.. it has to be a diesel specific K03 turbo..

a 1.8t turbo wont work.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #31March 12, 2011, 01:43:15 pm

Wessty

• Personal Text
    Qunte area Ontario
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 01:43:15 pm »
just find a decent used K03 from someone on this forum, and run it. unless you can rebuild it yourself.. but if you can do that, why not rebuild what you already have?

Well, I'll post here after I find out about one near me.  Got a lead that says there's a wrecker here that's got one.

If not, I'll see if anyone's got one they're willing to part with.

I'd rather have one ready to drop in, so that I can take my time with the rebuild.  Never having done one before, I know what's involved from reading lots of threads, but not so much how long it would take... or more specifically, how long it would take me.  :-\

The guy is looking for a practical solution, obviously replacing his with a usable K03 would be the least expensive, easiest repair at the moment.  Anything else it going to take some thought, fabrication skills, and a shop to work in.

Found this on kijiji, you would have to go look at it and see if it's a K03.

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-Turbo-Assembly-for-1-9-VW-Turbo-Diesel-Jetta-Golf-Passat-It-wa-W0QQAdIdZ263372187

Turbo in St. Catharines

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-1995-vw-1-9L-diesel-Turbo-W0QQAdIdZ259729486

Here is a complete engine in Keswick

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-1-9-turbo-diesel-W0QQAdIdZ264710907

Another turbo and other parts in Richmond Hill

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-transmission-drive-train-turbo-injection-pump-cylinder-head-Golf-or-Jetta-1996-W0QQAdIdZ249236148

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:58:22 pm by Wessty »
82 LX Caddy 1.6 IDI 5 spd
84 Rabbit 1.6 IDI 4 spd  (not running)

Reply #32March 12, 2011, 08:13:33 pm

Squidbait

• User+

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 08:13:33 pm »
Thanks Wessty, Kijiji was on my 'round 'tuit list. 

Contestant #1 has a mystery turbo (I haven't found any references to a K11) but has the manifold for it (and maybe the downpipe.  He's willing to play Let's Make a Deal.

Realistically how much work am I looking at to pull the manifold if he's got a downpipe for this thing?  Am I going to spend a weekend with a torch and extractor trying to pull snapped off bolts and studs out of the head?

Contestant #2 seems to have a K03, and the price is good, but no answer yet (and the ad's a month old... so it may be gone).

Contestant #3... well, if I thought I could do it without my wife killing me, I'd go for it.  Sounds like a deal.  Unfortunately, I haven't got a garage or shed to store the thing in, and there's a real possibility of us moving in the near future.  So...   sigh.  :'(

Waiting for Contestant #4 to get back to me to see if he's asking $100 each for the bits (what I think he means) or $100 for the lot (which would be a major score, and I could manage to sneak past the wife).

I've also got a couple of positive leads from local wreckers.

Further bulletins as events warrant.  ;)
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Reply #33March 12, 2011, 09:40:33 pm

Wessty

• Personal Text
    Qunte area Ontario
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 09:40:33 pm »
Thanks Wessty, Kijiji was on my 'round 'tuit list. 

Contestant #1 has a mystery turbo (I haven't found any references to a K11) but has the manifold for it (and maybe the downpipe.  He's willing to play Let's Make a Deal.

Realistically how much work am I looking at to pull the manifold if he's got a downpipe for this thing?  Am I going to spend a weekend with a torch and extractor trying to pull snapped off bolts and studs out of the head?

Contestant #2 seems to have a K03, and the price is good, but no answer yet (and the ad's a month old... so it may be gone).

Contestant #3... well, if I thought I could do it without my wife killing me, I'd go for it.  Sounds like a deal.  Unfortunately, I haven't got a garage or shed to store the thing in, and there's a real possibility of us moving in the near future.  So...   sigh.  :'(

Waiting for Contestant #4 to get back to me to see if he's asking $100 each for the bits (what I think he means) or $100 for the lot (which would be a major score, and I could manage to sneak past the wife).

I've also got a couple of positive leads from local wreckers.

Further bulletins as events warrant.  ;)

I won't lie to you, in the car it's a royal pain removing the manifold.  If it comes to that, it is definitely easier on the bench, but if you can manage it in the car, it would save you the cost a head gasket and head bolts.  In either case penetrating oil is your friend, spray it on and let it set for awhile and repeat as often as you can before you start to tear it down.

Reply #34March 16, 2011, 04:05:17 pm

Wessty

• Personal Text
    Qunte area Ontario
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 04:05:17 pm »
I found another one for you, they're advertising a K14 but also have a K03

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-auto-parts-tires-engine-engine-parts-K-14-Turbo-W0QQAdIdZ266906314

Reply #35March 16, 2011, 07:07:12 pm

Squidbait

• User+

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 07:07:12 pm »
Thanks Wessty,

I grabbed 2 locally... I went for one, but there were 2, and I got 'em both at the same (cheap) price.  Apparently he found it easier to pull the manifold than the turbos... they're still attached. After fighting with the bolts, I begin to see why.  :o

But.... if this new one has no shaft play, it's better than the best of the two I just got (has very little lateral play).  It's also hard to tell from the pics if it's eaten anything (bent vanes)... I passed on a couple of those.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Reply #36March 18, 2011, 05:54:09 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 05:54:09 pm »
NO SHAFT PLAY is bad.. you always want some shaft play, there has to be for them to work right.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Fixmyvw.com