S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Need some engine info  (Read 4783 times)

Reply #15February 26, 2011, 10:50:51 pm

coke

• Veteran

Re: Need some engine info
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 10:50:51 pm »
Yeah, well how about the power steering pump that looks like it took a bath in the atlantic ocean? I couldn't get the 13mm bolt that goes through the spacer bracket to the other side of the pump to turn at all. Nut rounded off. I had to dig out a dremel and grind it off completely. I swear the vehicle must've been a Katrina car.

It was awful, and to make matters worse someone had stripped one of the thermostat flange bolts so I had to find a way to hold a nut on top and turn a wrench too. Needless to say, its the last thermostat it will see. ;) (Gasser, not a diesel)

Reply #16February 26, 2011, 10:54:39 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2011, 10:54:39 pm »
I couldn't get the 13mm bolt that goes through the spacer bracket to the other side of the pump to turn at all. Nut rounded off.

That's the one I was thinking so fondly of..   A nickel's worth of never seize would have gone a long way on that...

Reply #17February 26, 2011, 11:11:39 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2011, 11:11:39 pm »
I couldn't get the 13mm bolt that goes through the spacer bracket to the other side of the pump to turn at all. Nut rounded off.

That's the one I was thinking so fondly of..   A nickel's worth of never seize would have gone a long way on that...

Never sieze, always get used on the accessories bolts and nuts during reassambly. Saves agravation and I don't involuntarily donate blood.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #18February 26, 2011, 11:15:11 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2011, 11:15:11 pm »
I use never sieze like most people use silicone gasket maker. I would rather have it up to my elbows than to bust one of the water pump bolts ever again. The GTI I did last summer I broke the Tstat bolts off in the housing. I stole the good housing off of another engine that I had already never siezed up a few years ago. Worked perfect.

Reply #19February 26, 2011, 11:23:40 pm

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2011, 11:23:40 pm »
I use never sieze like most people use silicone gasket maker.

Don;t get me started on that..  ::)

It's a darned shame cars are built with roughly a 5 - 10 year lifespan in mind..  I'd be willing to pay a few extra bucks to know they never seized some stuff..

Reply #20February 26, 2011, 11:37:30 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 11:37:30 pm »
I use never sieze like most people use silicone gasket maker.

Don;t get me started on that..  ::)

It's a darned shame cars are built with roughly a 5 - 10 year lifespan in mind..  I'd be willing to pay a few extra bucks to know they never seized some stuff..
You know what I mean? When there is 12lbs of silicone on what used to be a valve cover and it is leaking all over the place. Squished in so far that it was probably hitting the cam...yeah that is me only with the nickel anti sieze ;) It will be on the bolt, the head of the bolt, on the shank of the bolt, all up in them threads of the bolt and then I will usually thread the brush onto the nut before assembly.  ;D

Reply #21February 27, 2011, 09:25:56 am

dodger21

• Junior

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 09:25:56 am »
Sorry folks, I was just venting a bit.

Didn't know about the power steering pump being there....

Maxfax, it is easy if you turn the wheels all the way to the right. I can change oil in that thing faster than it takes to put the gas in it.  :o
1985 Golf 1.6NA with a 5spd

Reply #22February 27, 2011, 12:10:33 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 12:10:33 pm »
Sorry folks, I was just venting a bit.

Didn't know about the power steering pump being there....

Maxfax, it is easy if you turn the wheels all the way to the right. I can change oil in that thing faster than it takes to put the gas in it.  :o

try replacing a t-stat on a car with a/c and power steering!

im used to a thermo change taking about 15 minutes. ive only owned 2 Volkswagens in my life with power steering, and only 3 with a/c..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #23February 28, 2011, 12:56:00 am

maxfax

• Veteran

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 12:56:00 am »

Yes!  Once I figured that out it wasn't so bad..  I was being slow that day I suppose...