S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Diesel Gearboxes for the mk3 Golf?  (Read 2028 times)

February 26, 2011, 08:18:17 am

Bugsy_malone 666

• Junior

Diesel Gearboxes for the mk3 Golf?
« on: February 26, 2011, 08:18:17 am »
Ok I currently have a 1.8 petrol mk3 golf, thinking of turboing an NA1600D and sticking that in it to make a lot more economy than about 34mpg max. So I was wondering about gearbox solutions for my golf, there are some pretty obvious things like just get a 1.9TDi mk3 gearbox, but I cant really find any at the moment and cheap is where I want to be at with my installation.

The current gearbox gives about 3200rpm@70mph on the petrol engine, where as my mk6 golf diesel (also a 1600tdi that I cant run on veg oil!) will be doing around 2100 rpm@70mph.

So I am wondering will the extra 1000rpm absolutly drink fuel or is anyone running a gasser gearbox with a diesel lump and getting ok mpg?

if getting the RPM down is the main goal, what other cars am I likely to find the right fitment of box in? I know SEAT/Skoda/Audi share the same parts bin, so Seat Ibizia/Toledo, Skoda Fabia, Audi A3, Golf, Passats up to 97 will have the right type boxes, but is there anything else?

Also the other thing, I came accross a cheap box on ebay (still has a day to go!) but its a different shift mechanism from my petrol box, as in its hydraulic and my petrol one is cable so the shifter mechanism is in a different place, any ways round this?

Cheers :)