S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6L IDI upgrades and mods  (Read 52779 times)

Reply #60February 27, 2011, 01:02:10 pm

Armyhelopilot

Re: 1.6L IDI upgrades and mods
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2011, 01:02:10 pm »
All,

Does anyone know what metal / strength the input shaft on the 93 Tracker is normally made of?  Would 4140, 4340 or 300M be improvements?  Finally, does anyone know of a reputable machine shop that can make a duplicate input shaft out of these harder materials?

Bob

Reply #61February 27, 2011, 01:21:48 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2011, 01:21:48 pm »
you dont want a DUPLICATE shaft..

the shaft is so weak because it necks down so small after the splines..

if you took the input shaft, and where it necks down, made it straight, it would be much MUCH tougher..

the splines are prolly 7/8" diameter, and the shaft below them is prolly 3/8" diameter.. the smallest part of the shaft is where it is very weak.
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #62February 27, 2011, 01:22:22 pm

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2011, 01:22:22 pm »
exactly what i was getting at, the transmission being the weakest link of the drivetrain..

the input shaft of the trans is going to be the first piece to break, its for sure the smallest and weakest part in the drivetrain.

the only reason im saying any of this, is because i have a fairly large small background in offroading.. and i know about sammi's and trackers, and there weak points, idk how many trackers/sammi's ive pulled out of ruts because of broken input shafts. my friend used to have a lifted, hot rod Sammi (with a tracker trans), and he used to go thru a transmission every month or so, or 1 good weekend if we went sorta hard on it.

fixed it for ya...those sammi's and trackers are usually the smallest things we can wheel around here. I think most of the 4x4 quads have them beat lol. Just playing.

I can have my friend make you a shaft and have it cryo treated as I will be a rep for a cryo treatment place after this thursday. The cryo place charges by the pound so it will be cheap on that. The machine shop is 100.00/hour shop rate, but he does good work. At that same time by the time he is done you may just be further ahead to see if it breaks or not.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:24:10 pm by theman53 »

Reply #63February 27, 2011, 01:59:45 pm

Armyhelopilot

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 01:59:45 pm »
All,

I have a pic of the shaft but do not have rights to post it.  I know the geared part will press off leaving the splined shaft itself.  Man...could you ask your friend what the estimate would be on price?  What would he mill it out of (4140, 4340 or 300M)?  It has to be serious strong steel and like R.O.R. said, it would have to remain solid after the splines.....not necked down. Hard to talk about it without a pic for you all to see.
Bob

Reply #64February 27, 2011, 03:20:07 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 03:20:07 pm »
you are going to be super glad I/we harped on you about this when you are done with the project..

because ive had a few friends that have been there and done that with the sammi/tracker diesel swap.

jasons engine wasnt even a diesel and it still ate thru trannies like wildfire.

the stock tracker trans works good if you use a stock TD, or a stock/built n/a..

anything im putting in a tracker, is NOT gonna be stock, not by a long shot.

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #65February 27, 2011, 03:25:42 pm

Vincent Waldon

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• My collection of HOWTOs
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 03:25:42 pm »
    I have a pic of the shaft but do not have rights to post it. 

No special rights are required... there's a thread in the FAQ section on how to post pictures.   ;)
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3, 1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Reply #66February 27, 2011, 04:16:11 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2011, 04:16:11 pm »
exactly what i was getting at, the transmission being the weakest link of the drivetrain..

the input shaft of the trans is going to be the first piece to break, its for sure the smallest and weakest part in the drivetrain.

the only reason im saying any of this, is because i have a fairly large small background in offroading.. and i know about sammi's and trackers, and there weak points, idk how many trackers/sammi's ive pulled out of ruts because of broken input shafts. my friend used to have a lifted, hot rod Sammi (with a tracker trans), and he used to go thru a transmission every month or so, or 1 good weekend if we went sorta hard on it.

fixed it for ya...those sammi's and trackers are usually the smallest things we can wheel around here. I think most of the 4x4 quads have them beat lol. Just playing.

I can have my friend make you a shaft and have it cryo treated as I will be a rep for a cryo treatment place after this thursday. The cryo place charges by the pound so it will be cheap on that. The machine shop is 100.00/hour shop rate, but he does good work. At that same time by the time he is done you may just be further ahead to see if it breaks or not.

i dont wheel sammi's or trackers.. i like toyotas the best, thats all ive ever had, and the only think ive broke on a toyota, was front differentials.. toyotas with tall, skinny tires go like a MOFO in the mud.

i live in the wettest state on the planet, i think i would know what mud is, and how to use it properly  ;D

Reply #67February 27, 2011, 11:18:02 pm

Armyhelopilot

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2011, 11:18:02 pm »
Vince,

Vince, I read the FAQs and it didn't help.  When I click the attch, no pic comes up...just  .  The pic is not on a web hosting site.  It is on my desktop.  We will see if this posts....

ROR...I appreciate the advice, I do not consider it 'harping".  I would hate to put a few thousand dollars into this and have it constantly go through trannies.  When I get done rebuilding a car, I want to be able to consider it "DONE" until a catastrophic failure or normal wear and tear happens to break something.  I have other vehicle projects to move on to like my F350 and a Cummins 4BT!!

Bob

Reply #68February 28, 2011, 09:38:17 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2011, 09:38:17 am »
I always put mine on a pic hosting site. Mybook, friendspace, < joking there.
But myspace and facebook and photobucket are good places to put stuff. Then you just go to the properties and copy the URL and paste it in that [ i m g  ]     [/ i m g] in between the brackets and your are good...obviously taking the spacing out so it works.