S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: What's the weirdest reaction you've gotten to your diesel?  (Read 19176 times)

Reply #45February 09, 2006, 11:34:33 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

What's the weirdest reaction you've gotten to your diesel?
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2006, 11:34:33 am »
don't try to rent a trailer from u-haul!

Reply #46February 09, 2006, 01:48:19 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2006, 01:48:19 pm »
Quote from: "steve"
And it's 4wd so I can't even slide around on the snow.

More power will fix that :twisted:
I had a 78 Bronco. Stop on a snowy road, put in in 4 lo, mat it, and you'd do a 4 wheel drift into the ditch :lol:

Also dunno if they're weird reactons or not, but taken several 'diesels are slow' mentality people for a ride over the years, and they all get real suprised after some spirited driving. That's with a midly modded TDI.
I'd love to hand a few of them over for rides in Andy's twin or Gerry's 14 second TDI Caddy...those rides were the highlight of my 2005 summer 8)
Whenever anyone at my work has bought a new car, I ask about gas milage, then I get really sad & say I gotta get something new, my old VW's only getting 54mpg...usually get called a few names :wink:

Reply #47February 09, 2006, 01:57:14 pm

bhtooefr

• Veteran

• http://my.opera.com/bhtooefr
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2006, 01:57:14 pm »
Quote from: "MacGyver"
Whenever anyone at my work has bought a new car, I ask about gas milage, then I get really sad & say I gotta get something new, my old VW's only getting 54mpg...usually get called a few names :wink:

Evil, but VERY effective.  :twisted:

Anyway, you don't want a new car, your new VW would be lucky to get 50, and that's driving about 60 MPH (so just under 100 km/h for you guys).

Wait for the Polo TDI if you get something new :D You Canadians are supposedly going to get it before us, maybe...
1986 Volkswagen Golf | 1.6L NA diesel | 5spd manual | Deep Cosmic Blue (LE5C) | aack, it's a parts car, now, too!
1992 Mazda Miata | 1.6L DOHC gasser | 5spd manual | Classic Red (SU)

Reply #48February 09, 2006, 02:23:01 pm

Red Rabbit

• Junior

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2006, 02:23:01 pm »
This is usually asked by close friends and relatives...."why don't you just buy a real car?"..... :lol:
No I am NOT in denial!!!!!

Reply #49February 09, 2006, 02:29:34 pm

bhtooefr

• Veteran

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2006, 02:29:34 pm »
But real engines don't have spark plugs... :?
1986 Volkswagen Golf | 1.6L NA diesel | 5spd manual | Deep Cosmic Blue (LE5C) | aack, it's a parts car, now, too!

Reply #50February 09, 2006, 02:40:37 pm

SMOKEYDUB

• Veteran

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2006, 02:40:37 pm »
what is a real car? is that a new brand? (lol) the new tdi jetta gets 47 mpg and next time some one says get a real car tell them you going to buy one of thos 160 hp V8s that actually just dont get fuel mileage :lol:
12mm PUMP 'O' DEATH on a 1.6L
(courtesy of GILES)

2000 NISSAN XTERRA (5 SPD)
1990 VW JETTA 20 VALVE DRAG CAR
1984 RABBIT TD 2dr (SOLD)
1.8t AEB soon around 550 whp

Reply #51February 09, 2006, 02:54:32 pm

bhtooefr

• Veteran

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2006, 02:54:32 pm »
Just tell them that your car IS a real car, and theirs has spark plugs, and therefore doesn't have a real engine, and isn't a real car ;)

Edit: 69 posts. Heh heh.

Reply #52February 10, 2006, 12:38:36 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2006, 12:38:36 pm »
i needed to borrow my friend's truck to tow something after he sliced his hand and had to go to hospital...putting a wrench in our plans. his reaction was: "well, if you have a reasonable car i would let you take the truck.....but i don't really want to take your rabbit........ :? "

:lol:

Reply #53February 10, 2006, 12:54:38 pm

zyewdall

• Veteran

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2006, 12:54:38 pm »
Quote from: "BlackTieTD"
i needed to borrow my friend's truck to tow something after he sliced his hand and had to go to hospital...putting a wrench in our plans. his reaction was: "well, if you have a reasonable car i would let you take the truck.....but i don't really want to take your rabbit........ :? "

:lol:

Reasonable? --well, not for towing.  But more fun, yes.   The first thing I did when my friend bought an old rabbit was go over to his house to see if I could borrow it to drive it around in the snow for a while.  Wayyyy more fun than my 4wd truck.  I'm glad I've got my own rabbit now.

I love honda civic drivers' reactions to TDIs...  They are surprised that a TDI  is so much faster than a civic in the mountains, even though the civic has 20 extra horsepower. (But the TDI has 70% more peak torque, at 1800rpm instead of 4800.....)   But they're still smug in getting 40mpg.  Then you tell them that you are getting 45mpg while going over mountain passes at 75mph instead of 50, and you could get 50mpg if it wasn't so much fun to put your foot into it...
'84 Mitsubishi 4x4 2.3L turbo biodiesel pickup
'91 VW Rabbit GTI with 1.6 biodiesel transplant
'81 Toyota longbed 2wd 2.2NA biodiesel pickup (for sale)
'89 Subaru 4x4 touring wagon
 '82 subaru 4x4 TDI wagon -- project on hold
1976 Ford Sasquatch pickup

Reply #54February 10, 2006, 01:06:33 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2006, 01:06:33 pm »
haha i drove his truck all night last night with a couple friends.
when i got back in my rabbit with my other buddy it went something like this:
"man this car is ***ty after driving the pathfinder all night... would be nice if the heat worked better......dammit i should have put my stereo in by now.... *pause* ...but i'd still rather drive this"  :lol:

funny you mention having fun in the snow... we had a fresh dusting so thats the first thing we did in the rabbit when we got on the road, a little drifting both with ebrake and without. friend with big grin: "what is this, we rallying all the way home??"

when my other friend with the pathfinder wants fun, he'll get off his ass and tune the SR20DET 240 with all the pretty bolt-ons sitting in his driveway!!! i can't help but smile when that car is running well and i'm in it ...i should steal it from him and fix it....  :twisted:

Reply #55February 11, 2006, 10:51:45 pm

Traktor

• User+

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2006, 10:51:45 pm »
Sort of related story...

My bohemian friend was returning for a trip to the NW coast of BC but was not looking forward to the gas expense. His '86 RX-7 had made the trip several times before, but when he did the math and compared it to what my car would cost on the same trip, he began to seriously consider my offer of a trade. By the way, he hates VW's. He has had too many friends with ***ty buses. So he reluctantly traded keys and driving instructions with me.

For the next couple months I enjoyed driving a completely different vehicle at RPM,s that seemed otherworldly compared to my 86 Golf 1.6. I got aggressive in traffic again. It was fun but the trips to the pumps more than once a week was driving me crazy. I wanted my car back.

Meanwhile, Warren chugged over the mountains and through logging roads with a couple dogs in the folded-down rear of the Golf.  My car has seen Alaska from the shore of Queen Charlotte Island. He came home through an early snowstorm that put most of the traffic off the road at The Crowsnest Pass and chatted about the car with a trucker using chains while they waited for plows to clear the road. After he sprayed the mud off the car he returned it with an offer to buy it.

He now drives a Landcruiser running on biodiesel that he produces himself.
'86 Golf 1.6l na diesel (hit & run victim)
'90 Golf GTI 1.8 8v SOLD
'84 1.6 td Rabbit

Reply #56February 14, 2006, 08:56:24 pm

VW Scully

• Junior

• Not Quite Tom Riddle's Diary
wierd diesel tales
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2006, 08:56:24 pm »
Ha ha ha :D
These are great stories!

People are absolutely wierded out when I tell them my Rabbit runs on BioDiesel!  :shock:  they are even more speechless when I tell them that I make the fuel myself ;).

I've had several VW Diesels and always did eventually want to run them on BioDiesel and now that I am, you'd think I was running my car on Kryptonite by the strange looks I get!  :roll:
Tara aka VW Scully
**1981 Rabbit Diesel L, Biodiesel driven: 'the Bio-Bunny' **
Advocate for Young Adult Cancer Research & Support: I'm too Young for This!!
http://www.i2y.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply #57February 17, 2006, 03:52:44 pm

bhtooefr

• Veteran

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2006, 03:52:44 pm »
Meter reader came today, while I was testing my car for leaks.

He said, "That car sounds like a real rattletrap, now, doesn't it?"

I merely pointed down at the license plate frame (I have a TDIClub license plate frame on my car). He got it.

:D

Reply #58February 19, 2006, 12:32:12 am

LeeG

• Veteran

« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2006, 12:32:12 am »
Let me preface this by saying that my car is a dark blue.  Additionally, it had been given one of its bi-annual washes just a day or two before the events described below, so it actually looked pretty decent.

So I come out of the store packin a couple sacks of groceries and there is this dude, a jock 20 years past his jock days, done up corporate style with some kinda light brown woolish overcoat on.  He's yappin at some guy, got one foot on the sidewalk and he's restin his big arse on my trunk.
I walk up an say something like, excuse me thats my car.  He moves, but keeps on yappin.  I sling my stuff into the trunk and as I'm closing it say 'you ought to be more careful'.  He says something that in tone and words was essentially 'didnt hurt your car none little man, now run along'.  I replied, while sliding a finger along the trunk: 'Nah, you didnt hurt it, its a diesel'  and I show him my now well blackened finger.
He was having a little trouble expressing his feelings as he twisted around and took in big black ass-shaped mark on the back of his jacket.  
He and his sidekick are still standing back there when I climb in.  He's actually trying to brush the soot off, so now its on his hands too!.   I was a little pissed from his attitude, so i fired it up with my foot holding the loud pedal all the way down.  My trusty 1.6 reaches deep, draws up a great slurp of the ever present puddle of blowby in the intake, and rips out a real wall blackener when the turbo spools. :twisted:

So, remember kids, there is more than one way to smoke a Lexus driver :P
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #59February 19, 2006, 10:10:58 am

bhtooefr

• Veteran

« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2006, 10:10:58 am »
Lee, I'm gonna nominate your post for post of the month.

S-PAutomotive.com