Author Topic: North America's First Turbo Diesel VW Fox  (Read 16438 times)

Reply #45April 17, 2011, 12:43:49 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
Re: North America's First Turbo Diesel VW Fox
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2011, 12:43:49 pm »
in mexico and south america they have alot of interesting vws
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #46April 17, 2011, 12:56:43 pm

adi

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2011, 12:56:43 pm »
Yes they do, such as old style beetles (still in production I believe), and the "citigolf" which is a mk1, with the interior from Europe's Fox!

Reply #47April 17, 2011, 12:58:41 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2011, 12:58:41 pm »
Yes they do, such as old style beetles (still in production I believe), and the "citigolf" which is a mk1, with the interior from Europe's Fox!

old style beetles god discontinued in the early 2000s. like 01 or 02 i believe.. no more old style beetles..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #48April 17, 2011, 01:07:42 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2011, 01:07:42 pm »

old style beetles god discontinued in the early 2000s. like 01 or 02 i believe.. no more old style beetles..

01 but you can order parts from Brazil still
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #49April 17, 2011, 01:08:47 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2011, 01:08:47 pm »

01 but you can order parts from Brazil still

yea, thats it! i knew it was something like that..

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #50April 17, 2011, 01:16:41 pm

adi

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2011, 01:16:41 pm »
I've just been on the VW latin american and brazilian sites and discovered some VW's I didn't even know existed! Like the Parati, Gol, SpaceFox, CrossFox, Bora (which was our saloon mk4 Golf, but I think it's their Passat), Voyage, Suran etc. Wouldn't it have made life eaiser for VW just to have shared all the models and names across the globe? I will admit the interior quality of some Latin American models looks very poor though!

Reply #51April 17, 2011, 01:42:27 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »
I've just been on the VW latin american and brazilian sites and discovered some VW's I didn't even know existed! Like the Parati, Gol, SpaceFox, CrossFox, Bora (which was our saloon mk4 Golf, but I think it's their Passat), Voyage, Suran etc. Wouldn't it have made life eaiser for VW just to have shared all the models and names across the globe? I will admit the interior quality of some Latin American models looks very poor though!

the mexican/south american VWs are notorious for having cheaply built interiors, and wiring systems..

Reply #52April 17, 2011, 01:59:02 pm

JGWarner

• Junior

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2011, 01:59:02 pm »
Yup, the Gol platform (Fox) was definitely built to a third-world standard... but we learn to love and live with it.

I would be careful not to lump Mexican and Brazilian build quality together. Brazil was/is MUCH better than Mexico, hands down. I know many of folks with worse electrical problems in A2s and A3s made in Mexico. This Fox of mine has had comparatively few wiring issues. I still think nothing compares with German quality, of course. And I'm more than glad to be replacing Brazilian parts with German ones.

Prospectus (copied from the vortex thread):

Still have to do the front and rear main seals and carrier gaskets, the cam seal, intermediate shaft seal and o-ring, check the oil pump gear lash (possibly also run a plastigauge under the bearing caps for peace of mind) then button up the oil pan, install the vac pump and seal, water pump and seals, thermostat and cover and seal, wire up the glowplugs, install injection pump and new fuel supply line, new heatshields for new injectors (that's a new wrinkle), fuel return lines, fuel hard lines, reference boost line from the intake to the LDA, install the exhaust manifold heat shields, the turbo and it's gasket (w00t!), the turbo hard oil supply line and soft oil drain line with their seals, install the crank sprocket and pulley, intermediate shaft pulley and water pump pulley, injection pump sprocket and cam sprocket, timing belt, set initial timing, sort out an acceptable alternator mounting and belt arrangement, front mount (another wrinkle), install the essential coolant hoses (some fox, some quantum), steal the oil deflector from the fox, install the pilot bearing, flywheeel, clutch, pressure plate and THEN start thinking about fitting this mess into it's new home!

That's not even mentioning stripping out the old motor AND transmission AND fuel system AND fuel tank and replacing it ALL, finding a place to wedge the new fuel filter, possibly cleaning/painting the engine bay, altering the bay wiring, building the glowplug system, routing the cold start cable, deleting A/C and EGR systems, swapping in a new radiator and coolant reservoir and all hoses and rad ducting cardboards, sorting out a downpipe and mating it to the existing exhaust, installing the intake filter and hoses, cleaning/draining/refilling/installing the 5speed transmission with it's new throwout bearing, starter bushing and 5speed linkage (with new bushings, of course!), new clutch cable, new mounts all round, the starter, AND finally working out the inevitable kinks and stuff I forgot along the way.

What the hell was I thinking when i started this??

I'm planning to take some time off work, maybe 4 days straddling a weekend (so 6 days total) to practically live at my uncle's garage to get the lion's share done. This diddling around for only a few hours at a time is costing me a fortune in gas, but I have no TIME!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:49:38 pm by JGWarner »

Reply #53April 18, 2011, 12:23:41 am

sdwarf36

• Junior

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2011, 12:23:41 am »
Only been out a few years, they replaced the Lupo. I don't recognise your Fox as anything we ever got. The new Fox doesn't seem to sell as well as the Lupo did though.
I dunno about wagons-but I believe the euro equal to the Fox was the Audi 100.
91 Jetta on WVO na / td swap in progress.

"VW happiness is having 4 working door handles."

Reply #54April 18, 2011, 01:02:17 am

the caveman

• Veteran

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2011, 01:02:17 am »
I could tell so many stories about the ones i had. Seriously tough chassis, and could fix one blind.
" I'm a vegetarian,not because i love animals, it's because i hate plants"
1970 Type 3 fastback
1972 Renault 12
1971 Super Beetle 140 HP 159 ft lbs
1987 Fox
1989 TD Jetta
1990 Fox
1989 Fox
1998 TDI Jetta
1990 T3 German MIL Transporter 1.9 na Giles super pump
1997 Jetta GLX TDI

Reply #55June 22, 2011, 07:17:31 pm

JGWarner

• Junior

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 07:17:31 pm »
Today: replaced front main seal and carrier gasket, rear main seal and carrier gasket, cam seal, intermediate shaft seal, checked oil pump gear lash for wear (it's like new, less than .007mm), installed freshly POR-15'd oil pan and it's new rubber gasket, painted a few random parts. My uncle very kindly dug up a place that could get my 155 bar injector nozzles and I ordered a set. turbinepowered will be rebuilding my injectors for me, since he's got a pop testing rig.

Changing those seals was a challenge without many (or at least the correct) special tools. The REAL trick is getting the smaller main crank sprocket off, since you have to lock the crankshaft somehow. That big bolt is held on with 150ft lbs of torque. The flywheel was off and the timing belt removed, so I was scratching my head. I know they make a special tool if the flywheel is in place (or you can attach the pressure plate and one transmission bolt then jam the flywheel with a wrench between them) but in this case I didn't have enough room to fit the flywheel with the motor on the stand and I can't get enough torque with the motor swinging around on the lift. I turned the motor upside down to do this job and my uncle came up with a handy solution. We jammed a hammer in the crankcase. It was a mini sledge hammer, just slipped the head under one of the crank lobes and let the handle jam across the bottom of the block (the oil pan gasket surface). No marred surfaces, no risk. Worked like a charm. To reinstall the bolt I just jammed it the other way.

I'll be back at it tomorrow night. I'm hoping by this time next week to have the gas motor out of the Fox!  :o

Reply #56June 22, 2011, 07:34:25 pm

JGWarner

• Junior

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 07:34:25 pm »
Query for the assembled knowledge base:

I want to add an EGT gauge, should I bother with the 1/4" probe or splurge for a 1/8" probe? Is it really worth the faster response? Bear in mind this isn't a hi-po project, just looking for some peace of mind and a sight for fine tuning.

Reply #57June 22, 2011, 10:54:49 pm

JGWarner

• Junior

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 10:54:49 pm »
Thank you! I am sold on the smaller probe! Even 23 seconds seems slow.

Any preferred source for a small probe that works with VDO brand EGT gauges?

Reply #58June 23, 2011, 09:55:46 am

92EcoDiesel Jetta

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2011, 09:55:46 am »
Do they make EGT probes smaller than 1/8 NPT? Less mass = faster response.  Something like 10- 32 or 10- 24 would have much less mass. Can you get probes in those sizes?

Reply #59June 24, 2011, 01:24:34 am

JGWarner

• Junior

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2011, 01:24:34 am »
Awesome information there libby, thanks!

Updates with pics soon in the vortex thread, link in my sig.

Here's a teaser:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:25:41 am by JGWarner »