Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Prothe door handles  (Read 3799 times)

Reply #15February 13, 2011, 10:14:55 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    Pacific Northwest - Oregon - USA
Re: Prothe door handles
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 10:14:55 am »
well, im not positive if they are different or not, but most likely not any different from a mk1 door handle. anyway.. we will have your locks working before bed time tonight!

takes about 20 minutes a side to do the mods.. you have lock cylinders in both front handles right? and your latch assembly is all lubed up real nice right? my newest mk2, the doors would hardly lock, or open until i lubed the crap out of them..
92 Jetta GLI - Black, 1.6D w/ GT2056V turbo..
86 GTI - 4 Door, Med Twilight Gray, Tow Machine..
86 Audi Coupe GT - Tornado Red, All Stock.. WRECKED.
89 Toyota 4Runner - Dark Grey Metallic, LIFTED!

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #16February 19, 2011, 04:29:45 pm

macka

• Veteran

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 04:29:45 pm »
I had my locks rekeyed by a locksmith. The other option is call my parts lady and get her to get the autokamper parts shipped to you. Those parts are a very good OEM type fit.
Quote from: Vincent Walden
I do know that I drive torque,  while listening to my friends prattle on about horsepower.

Reply #17February 21, 2011, 11:32:28 am

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 11:32:28 am »
Well Lucas, i broke a door handle off my rabbit yesterday, so i have a door handle to take apart for you now.. lol.

Turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.

Reply #18March 15, 2011, 11:30:25 am

lord_verminaard

• Veteran

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 11:30:25 am »
Dammit, there was a great diy thread on the vortex in the Scirocco forum that detailed how to re-key door locks so they all use the same key.  Even had part numbers for the different type of tumblers and which tumblers you use depending on which door code you have.  I just searched for it for about 10 minutes and can't find it right now.  If I manage to find it I'll post it here.

Brendan
81 Scirocco 'S -->Soon to be m-TDI
93 Corrado SLC VR6
'86 Golf N/A Diesel  -->Wife's car
1990 Audi CQ
05 New Beetle PD TDI

"I am a man, I can change... if I have to.... I guess....."

-Red Green

Reply #19March 15, 2011, 02:34:23 pm

R.O.R-2.0

• Veteran

• Personal Text
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 02:34:23 pm »
you can re-key a lock with a file or grinder, and a screw driver..

ask me how i know this..

Reply #20March 16, 2011, 09:10:06 am

theman53

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Holmes County Ohio - North Central Ohio
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 09:10:06 am »
I went ahead and got the prothe "upgrade" door handles like off an Audi. The plastic ones that are a full handle you pull up on. As soon as the first one breaks I will replace them all with the autohaus ones or similar. The plastic body of the handle was 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the door. The right rear door I had enough room to tap the handle and move it over because is was so far off. From a distance it doesn't look too bad, but the rain pretty much goes right into the door there.

The Good: They open VERY smooth. Once you get them to where they open the nylon screw against the door opener part is very smooth. Best the doors have ever opened for me.

Review findings:  Just like just about every product I have bought from him, I would NOT recommend these handles and I will NOT buy them again. They are not good stuff. I would take them if I had a non opening door and no regular handles or money to get them, but only as a gift....that is just for the searchers out there whom may find this thread.