S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: A question about rod bushings.  (Read 1465 times)

January 01, 2011, 03:49:22 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
A question about rod bushings.
« on: January 01, 2011, 03:49:22 pm »
84 1.6 N/A
My question is just exactly how tight on the wrist pin do they need to be? I have them honed out to the spec recommended in the Bentley (4 ten thousandths), and I can press the pin in with ease, but when the pin is in it's so tight I can't move it from side to side. Now thinking ahead a little bit when I go to hook the rods to the crankshaft shouldn't I be able to have some side to side movement so I can line them up correctly with the rod journals? That could be accomplished by tapping them with a rubber mallet I'm sure, so I guess what I'm basically asking is that how it's normally done, or do they need to be loose enough to move them by hand? Any input appreciated.

Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #1January 03, 2011, 10:22:39 pm

kevinm

• Junior

Re: A question about rod bushings.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »
http://vwdieselparts.com/caution.htm

.0008 is the tops size and my mechanist honed them to .001 and he was saying something about its for a diesel so better to be on the top size or a little over.  However the wear limit is .010 so go figure.  Also, notice the word approx before the tolerance...  Take them back and get the guy to hone them to say .0005" a side clearance or .001 on diameter. 

S-PAutomotive.com