S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Did I screw up?  (Read 1813 times)

December 18, 2010, 11:49:34 pm

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
Did I screw up?
« on: December 18, 2010, 11:49:34 pm »
84 1.6 N/A. I was putting in my IM shaft bearings today and on my first go with the rear bearing I didn't get the oil hole lined up quite right, so I pulled it back out and re-installed with the oil hole lined up correctly. I was wondering if it will hurt anything having installed this bearing twice. It did seem to slide in easier on the second go round, and I'm wondering if these are a one time use thing like so many other VW parts are. Will it be susceptible to spinning having been run through twice like that?

Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Reply #1December 19, 2010, 12:27:24 am

maxfax

• Veteran

Re: Did I screw up?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 12:27:24 am »
Unfortunately it is quite possible that it could spin... Typically bearings similar to these are only good to be pressed in once....

Reply #2December 19, 2010, 11:53:41 am

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 11:53:41 am »
84 1.6 N/A. I was putting in my IM shaft bearings today and on my first go with the rear bearing I didn't get the oil hole lined up quite right, so I pulled it back out and re-installed with the oil hole lined up correctly. I was wondering if it will hurt anything having installed this bearing twice. It did seem to slide in easier on the second go round, and I'm wondering if these are a one time use thing like so many other VW parts are. Will it be susceptible to spinning having been run through twice like that?

8)There's one trick you could try, if your supplier is out of reach:
Pull bearing and using a spring punch make a series of punch marks all round the outer surface of the bearing. This will create mini mountains that will increase the diameter of the bearing, tightening it up. Same trick for the taper bearing stub axles.... 8)
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #3December 20, 2010, 01:23:35 am

Rabbit79

• Junior

• Personal Text
    Burns, Oregon,USA
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 01:23:35 am »
I kinda figured I'd need to replace it but I wasn't sure so thought I'd ask.
Andrew I followed your how-to step by step but I made one mistake. I didn't make my bearing installation tool long enough. I just stuck a tape measure down in that cavity to give myself a ballpark figure on how long it should be and settled on 1 1/4 inches. When I put my blue tape on there to mark the hole I had to leave my tape hanging over the the end of the installation tool far enough so that I could see it through the hole in the block. When I went to press the bearing the tape got all crinkled up and that's what led to my mis-alignment. I was off by about half the width of the hole. On the second go around I reached in from the front side and made sure the tape was pressed up tight against the outside of the bearing cavity, it worked great that time.... Hole perfectly aligned. Have to chalk that one up to experience. At least it wasn't a hugely expensive mistake.
Current: 1979 Rabbit 4dr
            1984 F-250
            1999 Ford Ranger
Other v-dubs I've owned:
84 Rabbit
78 Rabbit (gasoline) flipped it end over end after driving all night and falling asleep at the wheel. RIP, it was a good little car.
70 Bug

Fixmyvw.com